🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 64 The Wicker Man

Oh, don't get me started on THE WITCH. I love, love, love that movie. And Folk Horror is a genre I really enjoy, one often unexplored. For more Folk Horror Goodness (though certainly not as good as THE WICKER MAN) featuring Christopher Lee, check out....

And as much as I adore Christopher Lee, Britt Eckland, Roger Moore, and Hervé Villechaize, THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN is my least favorite Bond film. It could have been so much better.

Anyway, I definitely consider THE WICKER MAN a horror film, especially because I have a rather inclusive definition of the genre.

• Like 4

I also think Wicker Man is a horror film.  Granted there’s no blood/gore or supernatural forces, some of the scenes were genuinely unsettling and creepy af.

Since we’re on this topic, Thunderball is my least favorite Bond movie.  I’ve watched it the least because it’s so boring. Even thinking about it now is boring the shit out of me. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Quasar Sniffer said:

Oh, don't get me started on THE WITCH. I love, love, love that movie. And Folk Horror is a genre I really enjoy, one often unexplored. For more Folk Horror Goodness (though certainly not as good as THE WICKER MAN) featuring Christopher Lee, check out....

And as much as I adore Christopher Lee, Britt Eckland, Roger Moore, and Hervé Villechaize, THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN is my least favorite Bond film. It could have been so much better.

Anyway, I definitely consider THE WICKER MAN a horror film, especially because I have a rather inclusive definition of the genre.

Man With The Golden Gun is one of my favorites. It's terrible. It should be the best Bond movie doesn't get anything right.

But it was on tv a lot when I was a kid.

• Like 1

THUNDERBALL is definitely my least favorite Connery Bond. Even as someone who loves the excess fat that is inherent to Bond films, that thing is at least 20 minutes too long, and most of that is underwater sequences. Ugh.

Anyhoo, being the weirdo metalhead that I am, I love the pagan folk tradition that is celebrated in THE WICKER MAN, as a lot of metal bands incorporate that sound into their music. I know aurally there might not be that much correlation between what most people think of metal and this kind of folk music, but the connection to a pagan tradition is something very metal, so bands really champion this movie and the sound. I mentioned the Neurosis cover in the pick thread, but I thought I would share some of the musical analogs here.

Well I'm not in love with this band, I think this is a perfect example of the kind of sound I'm talking about. Hexvessel is composed of purely the folk aspect that metal bands incorporate into their sound, and here are a couple songs of there's that I love from the most recent album.

• Like 4

Hello, friends. I have not seen The Wicker Man yet, although I have seen the Nic Cage version and boy howdy what a wild ride. But I came in to share this very Wicker Man-esque movie that is from the director of Hereditary and is set to release this summer!

• Like 4

I can't stay but I wanted to give an update and mention a movie.  I still am in the cast and got a gash on my leg from the boot breaking.  I get a new boot today as well.  The angina has calmed down and the GP prescribed generic Zantac because I guess I've developed acid reflux.  That's the main cause of the chest pains.

As for movies I saw a promotional screening of The Longshot last night.  (The movie itself titled it Long Shot.)  It stars Charlize Theron and Seth Rogen but our very own June Diane Raphael gets third billing!  She was present throughout the movie and right to the very end.  Paul Scheer makes a couple cameos.  I didn't see Jason but they might have taken him out like they did in The Dictator. <grin>  I really enjoyed the movie.  It was funny (raunchy funny) and had a lot of heart.

So, once again, thank you all for your concern and well wishes.  I appreciate it more than I can say.  Take care!

• Like 5

On 4/24/2019 at 11:23 AM, Cameron H. said:

Like what if it were honey...

giphy.gif

I can't believe this scene wasn't in the version I watched!  Other than that, I didn't hate the remake.  I guess they took out the Christianity aspect of the plot and replaced it with a self-help tape?  

• Like 5

On 4/25/2019 at 3:20 PM, tomspanks said:

I can't believe this scene wasn't in the version I watched!  Other than that, I didn't hate the remake.  I guess they took out the Christianity aspect of the plot and replaced it with a self-help tape?  

When Sammich found the Cage version on TV last week, it was missing the bee scene as well, which is a tragedy imo, because it's one of, if not the best scene.

I'm really glad everyone seems to have enjoyed the original though! It definitely surprised me when I first watched it, especially the musical element. I definitely consider it horror, though it does seem subdued by today's standards. I certainly appreciate how well built the story is, and how normal the island society appears at first glance, as opposed to the obviously bizarre community that Cage visits. It makes it a bit more realistic. And I love that Howie gets to leave them with a curse.

• Like 4

In a certain way I think you have to give a pass to some of the goofier aspects of the Moore Bond films. I mean they never tried to be as serious or as fun. So as much as I'd like to pick Octopussy as the worst it almost becomes enjoyable in its badness. I think Thunderball is the worst because it is just so boring. On a similar note I hate Die Another Day with a great passion as well.

• Like 4

Holy crap. I don't know if I would have noticed the parallels if I hadn't been thinking about The Wicker Man thanks to this board, but I think I just watched, like... the inverse of The Wicker Man? The Wicker Man in reverse? Whatever it is, it's called Apostle, it stars Dan Stevens from Legion and Michael Sheen. And it is crazy. Not Mandy crazy, but crazy. It is now on Netflix here in Grecoville.

• Like 1

Just thought I'd pop back in to say HAPPY MAY DAY

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, JammerLea said:

Just thought I'd pop back in to say HAPPY MAY DAY

The Wicker Man, starring Justin Timberlake as Howie and Kate McKinnon as Lord Summerisle

• Haha 1