🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
RyanSz

Sonic the Hedgehog (2019)

I don't know what the makers of this movie were smoking but holy shit does this look perfect for HDTGM. Not only are they making a movie that up until recently was seen as a series that was a shell of its former self, but they seem to have made it based off of the stories of some of the more whacked out horrible Sonic games that tried to make the games something more than "run fast in scenic locations and save cute animals from evil robot scientist." Also the fact that they try to make Sonic with an oddly human face is just discomforting, especially the teeth. For some reason it works for Detective Pikachu because they still appear kind of cartoonish, but this seems to be like they were going for something different, and it just doesn't sit well with me.

They are apparently completely redesigning Sonic between now and release in 6 months due to internet reaction. So, that will probably look both better and worse at the same time.

Yeah I think if they lean it a bit more towards a cartoon rather than an attempt at a real animal, it would help. I do wonder why Gangster's Paradise was chosen as the trailer song, originally thinking the song was released the same year as one of the first couple Sonic games but it wasn't, so it's just an incredibly random song that really doesn't connect with anything shown in the trailer.

I dont know what i'm more disturbed by, Sonic's design, or the fact that they thought that Jim Carrey was a solid lookalike for Dr. Robotnik. That said I'm sure they lost their minds when they signed Jim Carrey for this obvious trainwreck so I cant fault them for casting him despite him looking nothing like Dr. Eggman.

I'm also equally disturbed by the latest Aladdin trailer that showed off Will Smith in full genie form. 

While the quick peek at him with the goggles and mustache was a nice touch, I doubt they are putting him in a fat suit to give him a similar build to the character in the game. And considering this looks like a case of "Sonic is sent to our dimension and chased by Robotnik" which somehow is done through the rings which create portals, I'll be amazed if this breaks even. They are really banking on nostalgia for the original games to sell this movie, but the overall story seems to be of the shitty early 2000s entries in the series where Sonic would be in actual cities, shoot guns, and ride motorcycles, which is mind boggling of the highest order.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this