🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 81 — Super Bowl Roast

This past weekend, arguably the largest event in sports was held. That's right, we're talking about the Super Bowl and we've invited Anthony Jeselnik, one of the most brutal roast comics there is, on the show as we discuss the legitimacy of the Puppy Bowl, ridiculousness of Madonna's halftime show, and everything else that goes along with this event. Anthony shares some secrets of the Comedy Central Roast and joins us for a killer round of quick hits. Also joining us is unlikely sports commentator Pat Buchanan who brings his own opinions on this year's record breaking Super Bowl. Head over to Jockular.com to check out The Sklars in "Point/Point". HENDERSON!

Great to hear Anthony Jeselnik on the show! His album, Shakespeare, is fantastic.

Making fun of a cute event trying to get shelter animals adopted and recycling Super Bowl twitter jokes? Not the greatest set of first takes you guys have done.

Jeselnik's roast stories were great though!

My snarky comment will begin... now:

Because everyone knows the point of the Puppy Bowl is to try to simulate actual football.

Great show! Unfortunately, today I had a really bad experience with Legal Zoom and had to request an uncontested divorce between myself and their services.

Randall, Jason. Let it be know that I found your jokes to be exaggerated and heightened. Your other segments in past episodes where you relayed that week's current events without bias, editorial opinion or comedic augmentation were much better and factually accurate. I implore you, as a fan, to return to your previously established level of journalistic integrity.

Sincerely,

A Big Comedy Fan With a Great Sense of Humor

You guys should totally play Pittsburgh. Jeselnik is right, avoid the Improv - but there are plenty of venues and alt locations throughout the city that would love an interaction with Sklarbro nation. When the Comedians of Comedy came through they played Mr. Smalls Theatre which is an excellent location.

I liked how you got into some hockey with Anthony, and if I have my way, I'd love to see a St. Louis Blues/Pittsburgh Penguins Stanley Cup Final this year. The Blues are a solid team this year and it'd be killer to see them go deep into the playoffs.

Listening to you guys got me thinking about the 2009 cup run for the Penguins. It's exactly the kind of story you guys love, proving that sports is the greatest source of natural drama. Just the year before the young, inexperienced Pittsburgh Penguins with superstars Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin swept their way to the Stanley Cup finals only to face the intimidating powerhouse that was the Detroit Red Wings. In a hell of a series, the Penguins fell 4 games to 2 to the Wings, but emboldened by their success went into the 2008 season charged and ready to go. With great series against rivals the Washington Capitals and Philadelphia Flyers, the plucky Penguins got back to the big dance to face their foes from the year before - it was a rematch of Detroit and Pittsburgh for Lord Stanley's Cup. So many great sports moments -- Max Talbot fighting Daniel Carcillo in the first round to rally the Penguins over the Flyers, the Ovechkin/Crosby rivalry in the second round, and ultimately the repeat showdown of the Steel Belt and the Rust Belt. A lot of sports writers have called it the greatest playoffs in recent memory and it all comes down to the story.

No offense to the Giants or Patriots, but what can you say about this Super Bowl's story? Last year, Green Bay was the team that defied the odds (even though Pittsburgh's own Steelers managed to choke their way into the big game some how). This year's Super Bowl was so astoundingly boring because no one wants to see two such titanic rivals when we've heard their stories time and time again. Yeah, the last 2 minutes were exciting, but I had the game on in the background -- in the background! That's not what the Super Bowl is for. Plus I agree with your assessment -- there's nothing like seeing ice hockey live. I know Football is king, but with more stories like the '08-'09 Penguins (and the '09-'10 Blackhawks) maybe more fans will see the NHL for what it is. Who know? Maybe it's the '11-'12 Blues that can capture that story...

Wait, so it takes Anthony Jeselnik to convince you that alt comedy is alive and well (and supported!) in STL? I've been clamoring for you guys to come home and do a show for over two years now and still nothing. Flyover country has got fans too! I was at that FunnyBone show and Anthony destroyed this bachelor's party directly behind me who all thought they were the talent all through both the openers and the first few minutes of his set. Let this be a lesson and please come home!

…recycling Super Bowl twitter jokes? Not the greatest set of first takes you guys have done.

I concur. Your Super Bowl take struck me as uninspired, predictable, and lazy. Boy, was that half-time show gay (BTW, "listen to Todd Glass on WTF" is the podcast version of "some of my best friends are gay")? Cheap shots at the QB's supermodel wife? You guys are brilliant comedians, you're better than that.

I love the show, but this was not one of your finest efforts.

http://eye-on-baseball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22297882/34820203

Looks like Jose got his tryout, but not with the A's. I think Brad Pitt can actually take some of the credit for playing Beane in the movie and giving real Billy Beane an ego boost to remind him that his under .500 team doesn't need a 47 year old DH. Best of luck to Canseco with the roo tigers. That TEam won the league championship last year.

This episode (except for Adomian!) felt like it was mailed in. Jeselnik had great energy but the Bros sound tired.

Not every episode can be a hit!

Still love the show.

I'm a proud citizen of Sklarbro Country.

I dig every episode.

however, this episode seemed to have increased energy which makes it great.

Sign in to follow this