🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
DaltonMaltz

Episode 27 - Howard Stern

Radio personality Howard Stern feels badly about not being Conan O’Brien’s friend.

Howard and Conan sit down to talk about Howard’s new book ‘Howard Stern Comes Again,’ the punk rock element of radio, the stigma of psychotherapy, and the most painful parts of publicity. Plus, Conan recalls his childhood pets as he and his team respond to a positive review of the show.

I love this podcast as a whole and so appreciate that work that the team puts into making it.

The effect Howard Stern has had on shaping parts of modern culture and particularly the interview talk show space is inarguably significant.  His new book certainly seems like an interesting and worthwhile read.

I personally did not enjoy this episode though, at no fault of Conan's.  Howard cannot seem to stop promoting his book at every turn.  For someone who clearly has difficulty accepting his positive traits and impactful legacy, he appears to be very good at raising up this book and the reviews it's earned.  It really made this episode seem more like a transactional TV appearance where the visiting party's ultimate motive is to push the audience to their new work.  In a context where that relationship is to be expected, there isn't really room to complain as a viewer---that's just how it works.  It seemed so unnecessary for him to do that on this podcast though, especially after naming Conan his favorite interviewee.  Going into this I was hopeful that Howard would be able to have a personal conversation with Conan that didn't involve self-promotion.  While Conan was able to steer the conversation into short bouts of genuine back-and-forth, Howard wasn't keen to reciprocate, which is really a shame.

Without regard to the rest of the podcast, his recollection of 9/11 was poignant for me, because I was a regular listener and first heard about the plane hitting the Tower. I thought it was a bit. Then sat for two hours watching the news, stunned to tears.

Conan and Howard are two of my very favorite people that I wish I could be friends with.  I did have one encounter with Conan when I submitted a Fan Correction involving Jack Black.  We shot it in one quick take and I was confident he would use it.  I portrayed myself as the mean macho Sensei from the Karate Kid.  I knew Conan would love me as his straight man.  It worked so well he actually called me an 'ASSHOLE' on national TV!  That was like getting an Academy Award for understanding Conan's humor (he wrote the the funniest Simpson's episode, the College one).  Anyhow, it would only stand to reason that Howard would name Conan, as his best interview.  Wish I could spend a few hours with them.  Seems like we have much in common.

Conan Fan Correction 8-12 5.5.jpg

This might be the single greatest interview with Stern. He can be difficult to have a conversation with and Conan really did a great job.

Stern spent years publicly insulting Conan and his show, now he's sucking his butt. Scumbag.

Love how  Conan gets Howard to open up...very real and vulnerable. Sad at the end when Howard begins to sink back into negativity despite his best effort to stand in his great light. I think the weight of his previous 'incarnation' conflicts him--the new and empathetic character struggles with the bad boy who made his bacon. Narcissus at the well he can't turn away from that image completely....it will fuel his career forever.

I just listened to this episode with Howard Stern.  He was so obnoxiously plugging his book.  It was almost comical in itself the amount of times he mentioned it.

All of Stern's sincere moments were wiped away every time he ended his sentences with "and that's why I wrote this book" or "and that's why I mentioned him/her in my book" blah...blah...blah.

I enjoy Conan O'Brien and his crew.  Keep up the good work!

Sign in to follow this