🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
sillstaw

Freejack (1992)

There are so many things I could point out to you that I think would make you want to check out "Freejack." There's the plot, about a man being yanked out of the past for use in the future (2009, to be exact) as a body for a recently deceased man. There's how we're supposed to buy that people would automatically hate someone who's been taken out of the past and escaped from his captors. There's how we're supposed to buy that 18 years have passed and the only thing that's changed about Rene Russo is that her hair is slightly different.

But quite simply, the thing that will hopefully convince you are the three names 'above the title.' In order:

Emilio Estevez - Mick Jagger - Anthony Hopkins

I mean, how many movies can boast having a cast that random?

• Like 2

When you cast Jagger in any role above wall hangings you know you are in trouble.. and i heard they desperately wanted him for Pirates OTC 3.. Nuff said.

You forgot to mention that Buster Poindexter (aka David Johansen) is in it as well!

Thankfully i only saw this movie once when it was on commercial TV over here in the UK.. i think i stuck it through the first 2 ad breaks but if i watched beyond that it has been erased from my memory.

What is not to like about this movie? Other than everything and really nothing at all... Emilio Estevez, Mick Jagger, Rene Russo, and Anthony Hopkins as the bad guy!

I've suggested this before. Mainly because, come on, top billing went to Emilio Estevez, Mick Jagger and Anthony Hopkins, in that order. The early 90s!

Also, I love that we're supposed to believe that 18 years have passed and the only thing that's changed about Rene Russo at all is her hairstyle.

A different haircut is the international symbol for "See? Time has TOTALLY passed!". I remember being so disappointed by this movie when I was a kid, because the trailer made me think that it would be like 2 hours of race cars launching into the sides of bridges or whatever. That was a pretty awesome visual, and I don't remember much else about the rest of the movie. I know Jagger was a bodyguard or something and didn't end up being such a bad guy after all.

Another vote for Freejack. Remember how the homeless guy knew exactly who Emilio's character was?

Time travel. Mind swaps. A cast that boasts Emilio Estevez, Rene Russo, Sir Anthony Hopkins AND Mick Jagger.

It's been forever since I've seen this. Yet I distinctly remember it being terrible. With a Rotten Tomatoes rating of only 15%, it seems many agree.

Why nominate this? If I didn't get you with "mind swap", the Estevez/Russo/Jagger/Hopkins mix should definitely do it!

This movie takes place in the grim future of 2009. I have a weird fascination with movies that try to predict the future and how they match up when that time comes (hint: they're almost always way off).

Was this the beginning and the end of Mick Jagger's magical acting career. Mind you this movie isn't really all that bad. I haven't seen it in a long time but its most likely can be found on some cable channel right now.

This could be the future but only a back to the future sort of way, Broken timeline sense of future. a future that didn't happen but could of or did but in our time line didn't.

Here was me thinking about suggesting this as I doubted anyone would have and lo and behold stillsaw you already had....

Cant believe this hasnt been chosen yet, it is a 90's classic what more could you ask for bad sci-fi, 90's hair, Emilio Estevez, Mick Jagger, Rene Russo and Anthony Hopkins... did I mention MICK JAGGER!!!

Come on its a classic so bad its Kinda good 90's movie

To Lando: you take movies way too seriously. I don't think the makers of Freejack honestly thought what was depicted in it was what 2009 would actually end up being like. These movies are just entertainment, fantasies, nothing else. As the old saying goes, it's only a movie.

People really need to stop acting like movies are accurate representations of real-life. They're not. They're not supposed to be.

To Lando: you take movies way too seriously. I don't think the makers of Freejack honestly thought what was depicted in it was what 2009 would actually end up being like. These movies are just entertainment, fantasies, nothing else. As the old saying goes, it's only a movie.

People really need to stop acting like movies are accurate representations of real-life. They're not. They're not supposed to be.

I do believe good sir that your post accusing me of taking movies way to seriously takes my post way too seriously.

GoDaddy_Jean_Claude_Van_Damme_Bongos_GIF_loop.jpg

• Like 4

Got to up this one. Mick Jagger is trying so hard; and how weird is it that after establishing Emilio as a race car driver, they don't even bother giving him a futurecar car chase?

Fun fact about this film: Linda Fiorentino was originally set to play Julie Redlund, but dropped out at the last minute due to scheduling conflicts. Rene Russo was eventually cast in her place.

One of the things about Freejack that is awesome is that they had flatscreens. Most futuristic movies it was just more CRTs (ie. Predator 2). And everyone carries an automatic weapon. Plus, Mic Jagger rides around in an red APC. Solid.

PLUS ONE. I was just reminded of this movie by a racing kart video that's been making the rounds:

http://www.foxsports.com/motor/story/video-kart-flight-pass-052616

So yeah, I wanted to see this movie bad after it came out, I was 11 and it was rated R... but I managed to see it not long after. This was about the time I was also fascinated by the movie Robot Jox. Needless to say I enjoyed it, I don't remember everything about the movie but I do remember a surprising amount... such as Amanda Plummer as a foul-mouthed, trigger-happy nun (how did no one mention that!) and the sequence where Jagger is trying to hunt down Estevez in a weird futuristic maze.

I don't remember much about this movie, but I remember enjoying watching it on TV as a kid. I also loved Hudson Hawk at the time.

Haven't gotten around to watching this yet but found out about it in a great book called What's a Nice Actor Like You Doing In a Movie Like This and was instantly hooked by the fact that Jagger felt the need to act again after his previous stints had been met with mediocre reviews at best. What's more shocking is that this was Hopkins' first film after winning the Oscar for Silence of the Lambs and he is STILL third billed behind Estevez and Jagger.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this