🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 30 — Director's Edition: Cool as Ice

I think they were incredibly kind to Vanilla Ice, but it's not something they appear to have done much of recently, so I'd say it was an experiment that sort of failed. I mean, Jack O'Halloran was cool in Superman 2 and Whitney Moore was definitely the best thing about Birdemic...I think they should have had a producer say to Ice beforehand "be prepared to get ragged on a little bit", because he seems like he has a bit of a sense of humour about his past now. I think he was surprised at how generous Paul, Jason and June were to him, if anything.

This is a movie I have been waiting to see since it came out, but for some reason waited. Seeing that you did an episode about it, I knew I had to watch it before I listened to the podcast. Wow. I've never seen so much cartoonishly over exaggerated early 90s hip hop fashion in my life. The podcast was great, and I realize there were probably time constraints, but I feel like you missed a few seriously discussable points.

*... edited for brevity...*

The last thing I want to mention is your interview with Rob "Vanilla Ice" Van Winkle. OK, you guys were nice to him. I get it. You aren't dick heads, but come on. You let him off the hook way too easy. Earlier in the podcast, you said that her was OK with how the film was currently perceived, but talking to him, he seemed really satisfied that they had made a quality movie. He even went as far as showing pride in the awesome lines he improved that "stood the test of time", like "You need to drop that zero and get with a hero".

And now he runs with ICP.

At the end of the day, is still absolutely LOVE this podcast I think you are all hilarious, and will listen as long as it exists. Props on picking movies that are available to instant stream on Netflix, too.

Afterthought: I'd love to see a video alternative available along side the audio podcast.

This must be the most in-depth analysis of this movie that has ever been embarked upon. Did you really expect them to intensely interrogate Vanilla Ice about the movie's minutiae? It's a horrible movie (in my opinion), but he seems like a decent guy making peace with his past. Were you expecting them to try to humiliate him? That's not fair.

Signed,

A. Juggalo

They mildly tore into the flick in the podcast.. and then went to see him and agreed it was a "Cult Classic".. Seriously.. Come on.. That was so disingenuous.. you let the guy repeatedly sell his tv show and make several false statements and exaggerations to your face and as 3 comedians you let him? I can only assume he agreed to it if nothing was said to his detriment. It felt thin and weak sauce.

I expect better from such quick and entertaining minds, I don't care for the current popularity of humiliation replacing actual comedy and it would denigrate our hosts to do that.. but to flat agree his movie was in someway good, brave or worthwhile after ribbing it felt like pandering.

I certainly didn't expect personal attacks on the mans character and ability.. I think any right thinking person knows how much talent and ability he actually has, that's for individuals.

In the recent Abduction podcast they happily used speculation of the stars sexuality as detriment to his acting ability, would they do that if they were about to interview him for the show? Would they back peddle on all the things that didn't make sense or the awfulness of the material? My point is that in interviewing the man they said things they wouldn't otherwise and likewise didn't say things they should have.

Ah, Welsh people. We all know what they're like.

For those wondering why our intrepid heroes weren't a bit braver, keep in mind this is who they were sitting at a table with

They mildly tore into the flick in the podcast.. and then went to see him and agreed it was a "Cult Classic".. Seriously.. Come on.. That was so disingenuous.. you let the guy repeatedly sell his tv show and make several false statements and exaggerations to your face and as 3 comedians you let him? I can only assume he agreed to it if nothing was said to his detriment. It felt thin and weak sauce.

I expect better from such quick and entertaining minds, I don't care for the current popularity of humiliation replacing actual comedy and it would denigrate our hosts to do that.. but to flat agree his movie was in someway good, brave or worthwhile after ribbing it felt like pandering.

I certainly didn't expect personal attacks on the mans character and ability.. I think any right thinking person knows how much talent and ability he actually has, that's for individuals.

In the recent Abduction podcast they happily used speculation of the stars sexuality as detriment to his acting ability, would they do that if they were about to interview him for the show? Would they back peddle on all the things that didn't make sense or the awfulness of the material? My point is that in interviewing the man they said things they wouldn't otherwise and likewise didn't say things they should have.

He was only there to plug his show and they were happy to get him. Shitting on someone for real isn't really in the spirit of the podcast.

Loved it! Too bad you didn't get Gwyneth Paltrow on the show for a quick spot to talk about missing out on the role.

I also wanted them to bring that up! But in fact she was offered the role, and turned it down on her father's advice.

of all the movies covered on this podcast, Cool as Ice wins the award for most baffling tagline:

”When a girl has a heart of stone, there’s only one way to melt it.

Just add ice.”

my brain breaks every time it tries to process the logic of this mind puzzle.

Sign in to follow this