🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Toy Story

Toy Story  

14 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Does "Toy Story" belong on the AFI list?

• Yes 🚀
    • No 🧨

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/28/19 at 07:00 AM

7 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

And of course, there’s Jim Henson’s The Christmas Toy which came out in 1986. The plot is about a favorite toy that is afraid he’s going to be replaced at Christmas. The egotistical new space toy doesn’t realize she’s a toy...🤔

I came across the title of this one when googling for examples of toys coming to life. I had not heard of it and did not realize just how close the plot summary is.

I will say, of the movies that would trigger a lengthy debate on the merits of the AFI list, I was not expecting it to be, "#99. Toy Story."

I don't have strong opinions on it. And it continuing to be on the list is different than being on the list in 2007, but I'll bring up the point that in 2007, the only Pixar films so far were:

Toy Story

A Bug's Life

Toy Story 2

Monsters, Inc

Finding Nemo

The Incredibles

Cars

Ratatouille came out in 2007, but probably wouldn't have been out long enough to be considered for the list.

I haven't gone through the AFI ballot to see which ones were even considered eligible (the presence of a curated list on the ballot being something I consider to be a great shortcoming of the AFI process).

(I guess this is more for @Cambert) But just off of that list, I'm not sure it's obvious that Toy Story isn't the one to pick. Especially in 2007 (admittedly I haven't gone back to watch it, so it might be much weaker than what I remember - but I remember You Story 2 being too heavy on reference humor.  Plus the burden of being a sequel).

correction: originally had auto-complete mishap of "#99. You Story."

19 minutes ago, ol' eddy wrecks said:

I haven't gone through the AFI ballot to see which ones were even considered eligible (the presence of a curated list on the ballot being something I consider to be a great shortcoming of the AFI process).

For the record, the AFI ballot had Toy Story and Finding Nemo as the only Pixar representatives.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ol' eddy wrecks said:

will say, of the movies that would trigger a lengthy debate on the merits of the AFI list, I was not expecting it to be, "#99. You Story."

I guess, but I also think we all generally like Toy Story ok, and whether we think it should be on the list or not, we all know it's popular, we know it's a fine enough story, we know it has cool voice actors, and there isn't much else to nitpick on it... so might as well focus on the AFI criteria and other Pixar films. haha

Has anyone seen Toy Story 4 yet? I prob will go see it this week, maybe tomorrow. What are your non-spoilery impressions?

• Like 3

I have to say that I don't get the enthusiasm for Who Framed Roger Rabbit? as an AFI list candidate. It's an enjoyable movie and all, but I've never considered it anything close to an all-time great. I'd pick Toy Story over that every day and twice on Sunday.

3 hours ago, AlmostAGhost said:

Has anyone seen Toy Story 4 yet? I prob will go see it this week, maybe tomorrow. What are your non-spoilery impressions?

It's great and I know people are worried about this being some unnecessary cash grab when it was announced. It definitely isn't but explaining why is spoilers adjacent.

2 hours ago, sycasey 2.0 said:

I have to say that I don't get the enthusiasm for Who Framed Roger Rabbit? as an AFI list candidate. It's an enjoyable movie and all, but I've never considered it anything close to an all-time great. I'd pick Toy Story over that every day and twice on Sunday.

I think Roger Rabbit is a damn fine movie and would easily include it in the top 100 American movies. Id certainly consider it over Toy Story and maybe all the Toy Story movies. 

3 hours ago, grudlian. said:

I think Roger Rabbit is a damn fine movie and would easily include it in the top 100 American movies. Id certainly consider it over Toy Story and maybe all the Toy Story movies. 

I just get zero emotional or intellectual investment out of it. It's technically well-made and amusing, but it doesn't leave me with much to chew on.

19 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

No, I think we all get that. And if the list was for the most Innovative films, no one would disagree. I think the issue is that the list is one of semantics, specifically with the words “Greatest Films.” I think most people equate the word “great” with “best” or “most enjoyable.”  Granted, that’s not necessarily what the word “great” means, but if that isn’t what was meant, then I think we can all agree we could knock off at least 25% of the movies on the list. Do we need two Marx Brothers then? Or three Chaplins? If we’re looking at just being the first, or most innovative, then we need to put The Jazz Singer back on and probably replace Intolerance with Birth of a Nation. Instead of Sophie’s Choice and Shawshank Redemption we should have Jurassic Park and Terminator 2. And we should definitely have more movies from POC and any(!) female filmmakers.

I guess what I’m saying is until the AFI is consistent with what exactly they want the list to be, we have to interpret it the best that we can as individuals. Personally, when I think “Greatest” I think “Best.” In which case, if we’re talking about CG animation, I want the most fully realized and most enjoyable movie represented, and not just a lesser quality movie simply because it was made first.

See when I think of “greatest” I don’t think of “best”, I think of “greatest achievement” and I think that’s what AFI are going for with their list. If a film forever changes the direction of cinema then it is a great achievement. Of course making a practically perfect “best” film is also a great achievement, but I feel that just looking at the list it pretty clearly shows that is not the only type of achievement they are going for.