🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
SlidePocket

Musical Mondays Week 69 Preview (Watch Out for Snakes's 2nd Pick)

16 hours ago, WatchOutForSnakes said:

I'm saving my reaction for Monday, but I have to say I had never seen an Elvis movie before, and I was pleasantly surprised by how charming he was.  Then I watched a 1985 Barbara Walters interview with Priscilla Presley, and I had a few second thoughts about recommending. But he's long gone, and this was an ....interesting watch.

I don't know if anyone listens to the Punch Up The Jam podcast but Elvis is featured pretty heavily in their song this week. This comes up in their discussion.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, grudlian. said:

I don't know if anyone listens to the Punch Up The Jam podcast but Elvis is featured pretty heavily in their song this week. This comes up in their discussion.

They covered him on the awesome podcast Big Gross Movies as well which is how I know he had creepy mommy issues. Every episode covers the highest or second highest grossing film of a particular year and the first half covers news and one specific deep dive on an interesting story from the year of the movie in question. Plus a "Canada Corner" segment because they're Canadian. The episode I'm thinking of did a deep dive on the Elvis hip shaking on tv scandal.

I learned Elvis and his mom shared a bed for like... Ever. Partly because they were dirt poor and partly because she was OBSESSED with him. She used to walk him to school and when he made her stop she would still secretly follow him. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, gigi-tastic said:

They covered him on the awesome podcast Big Gross Movies as well which is how I know he had creepy mommy issues. Every episode covers the highest or second highest grossing film of a particular year and the first half covers news and one specific deep dive on an interesting story from the year of the movie in question. Plus a "Canada Corner" segment because they're Canadian. The episode I'm thinking of did a deep dive on the Elvis hip shaking on tv scandal.

I learned Elvis and his mom shared a bed for like... Ever. Partly because they were dirt poor and partly because she was OBSESSED with him. She used to walk him to school and when he made her stop she would still secretly follow him. 

That’s odd. The mom thing was never mentioned on the Graceland tour. Huh.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, gigi-tastic said:

I through sheer coincidence happened to see a picture of Elvis' childhood home this week. It looks about the size of a standard trailer home. So, it's conceivable they had no room for another bed if there was more than two people living there.

1 hour ago, grudlian. said:

I through sheer coincidence happened to see a picture of Elvis' childhood home this week. It looks about the size of a standard trailer home. So, it's conceivable they had no room for another bed if there was more than two people living there.

I’ve never heard of any particular weirdness between him and his mom, but like I said in the mini side thread, my kids come into my room nearly every night. Most kids want to sleep in their parents’ bed. It feels safe. I know a lot of parents where they experience the same thing. It’s like when you had a nightmare as a kid, you would maybe crawl into your parent’s bed. For me, it’s not really weird until it’s weird, if you know what I mean? I would have to hear more species to be really weirded out about that.

Also, speaking as a parent, it’s hard to not want to keep an eye on them at all time. I drive my son to school, but if he had to walk, I would walk with him. And if he said that it embarrassed him and asked me to stop, I can’t say I that wouldn’t still follow him. 😬

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

I’ve never heard of any particular weirdness between him and his mom, but like I said in the mini side thread, my kids come into my room nearly every night. Most kids want to sleep in their parents’ bed. It feels safe. I know a lot of parents where they experience the same thing. It’s like when you had a nightmare as a kid, you would maybe crawl into your parent’s bed. For me, it’s not really weird until it’s weird, if you know what I mean? I would have to hear more species to be really weirded out about that.

Also, speaking as a parent, it’s hard to not want to keep an eye on them at all time. I drive my son to school, but if he had to walk, I would walk with him. And if he said that it embarrassed him and asked me to stop, I can’t say I that wouldn’t still follow him. 😬

I slept in my mom's bed on and off until middle school.  My poor mom! I'm not a silent sleeper by any means, I thrash around like a wild beast and talk in my sleep. I refuse to sleep over at partners homes or let them stay at mine because I'm such a bad sleeper. However it was like well into high school for Elvis though from what I remember hearing.

• Like 1

I noticed that his mom died right before he moved to Germany, so I can kind of see why he wanted Priscilla to move in with him when he came back. He must have been so lonely (though that doesn't excuse praying on a teenager). I can't even imagine what it must have been like to be born to poor parents with a mother who worshipped you and then grow up to have all girls basically worshipping you. One of the things that struck me about Girls, Girls, Girls is the discomfort of just being adored for for body while no one, except for Laurel. I felt like he was pretty familiar with women hitting on him, but seemed uninterested in his own sex appeal because no one seemed to care about who he was or why the boat meant so much to him. And I see how he felt insulted by a woman buying it for him. I think the whole reason I found him charming was because he seemed so uninterested in the girls, and I got a sense of how he must have felt as an icon with women throwing themselves at him while not knowing anything about him. Fame like that makes people crazy.  I recommend watching the Priscilla interview because she seemed to really see him for who he was despite how awful he was to her.  That's not to excuse anything he did, but I do think she genuinely loved the man, and understood that his problematic behaviors were a result of the world he grew up in and lived in as an adult. Certainly she was too young for him, but I got the sense from her that as she grew up, she understood the situation she was in. 

Looking forward to the discussion of the movie itself. I've definitely learned more about Elvis by recommending it ;) 

• Like 2

On 6/29/2019 at 2:12 PM, grudlian. said:

On the Graceland tour they have (or had - I went in 2009) a model of that home.

YMFTnL2.jpg

• Like 2