🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
SlidePocket

Episode 217 - Jaws 3-D

9 hours ago, theworstbuddhist said:

Fun episode, but honestly the part I enjoyed the most was the discussion at the end about Jason's fanny pack. It was nice to hear just the three of them in studio joking around.

Yes totally agree! One of my fav eps for that reason, such a relaxed bud chat about frenching mums, pizza orders for "Tall" and bum bags! 😍

• Like 4

Correction: Someone asked if all the scenes take place in Sea World and there was at least one that was not (maybe two if we consider that the bar is probably not in Sea World)

There is an early scene where we see Mike, Kay, and Sean in their kitchen. This scene is hilarious to me for a few reasons.

1. The rad 80s wallpaper.

2. The serious product placement (Wheaties, Tropicana, Dunkin Donuts)

3. Kay walks in the kitchen yawning and states "Some guys can sleep in in the morning. Some of us have to be at work early." as she passes Mike and Sean already having breakfast... so who exactly is sleeping in? Clearly Kay is the last one up and no one is "sleeping in." Way to shame people for no fucking reason, Kay.

Rvv8y7W.jpg?1

• Like 6

5 hours ago, grudlian. said:

What kind of foot lamberts were on screen once the rig was on the lens? I want to say Academy standard is currently 7 fL for a 3D projector

That's an excellent question. After the silver screen was installed, a studio employee was in there taking light meter readings during a showing of the film, but I don't remember the results.

4 hours ago, Blast Hardcheese said:

Besides narrating their escapades in the most ASMR-ish hushed voices they could muster, why were the two bumbling diver-thieves breaking into Sea World? And why was I rooting for the shark to kill these guys?

4 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

I may have only caught this because I watch with subtitles, but they say that they are trying to steal coral from the lagoon. One of them says that there’s a guy willing to pay up to $200 for a decent piece. It’s...pretty insane.

Yeah, about that ... isn't the lagoon man-made? The thieves say something about the lagoon having "the good stuff" that sells in Miami, but what kind of reef can grow that fast in a man-made lagoon? Does this even make sense?

Also, it makes me think of Dr. No and how Honey Ryder goes to Crab Key to collect conch shells to sell in Miami. Exactly how thriving is Miami's slightly illicit sealife selling industry?

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Elektra Boogaloo said:

Oh, also, regarding June’s question about dolphins “raping” humans. I don’t think we can really use the term rape. Dolphins ado have sex for pleasure and they are aggressive and form gangs. (Yeah, that’s right, dolphin gangs—it’s the next West Side Story). But... while I agree that dolphins are little shits that always have their dicks out, I don’t think they understand human notions of consent. 

If they did, that would make a crazy horror movie. Way scarier than Jaws. 

But, still, I never want to go to those “swim with dolphins” events. One of my coworkers showed me a family picture and we were laughing because it’s like a happy couple with a dolphin but the dolphin’s penis is clearly out. 

Animals are just being animals. People are stupid.

People need to leave animals the fuck alone. Did we learn nothing from the tragedy of Hank Hill's La Grunta dolphin encounter?

pSxdGNb.jpg

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, The_Triple_Lindy said:

People need to leave animals the fuck alone. Did we learn nothing from the tragedy of Hank Hill's La Grunta dolphin encounter?

pSxdGNb.jpg

Yeah the parks tend to frown on that kind of behavior, as Peter Griffin can attest to.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Blast Hardcheese said:

Besides narrating their escapades in the most ASMR-ish hushed voices they could muster, why were the two bumbling diver-thieves breaking into Sea World? And why was I rooting for the shark to kill these guys?

Speaking of these guys, this is dumb as hell, but I totally thought that the skeleton Kay and Mike come across was one of the coral bandits.

kItPEmX.jpg

They have the same hat. I just couldn't figure out how the shark picked the bones clean.

On my rewatch I caught Mike saying the skeleton was a part of the pirate ship attraction, but since they never came across the bodies of our dudes at any point in the movie I like to pretend that Mike just thought that was a fake skeleton.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, PollyDarton said:

Speaking of these guys, this is dumb as hell, but I totally thought that the skeleton Kay and Mike come across was one of the coral bandits.

kItPEmX.jpg

They have the same hat. I just couldn't figure out how the shark picked the bones clean.

On my rewatch I caught Mike saying the skeleton was a part of the pirate ship attraction, but since they never came across the bodies of our dudes at any point in the movie I like to pretend that Mike just thought that was a fake skeleton.

I'd love to think that the shark just sucked the meat off the bone like a damn chicken wing.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Personally, I think everything in this movie pretty much holds up, except the stunt skiing, which I was confused and underwhelmed by.

First of all, the girls that climb up the pyramid are wearing skis at first, but then just kick them off when they start to climb, so ... how do they get their skis back? Do skis just float? I legitimately don't know.

Secondly, what's the end game of the pyramid stunt ... they form this impressive visual and then, what, just ski around like that for a while? Do they not do any other tricks, or do they jump off a ramp or anything? Seems like kind of a one-trick pony show, if you ask me, although a few minutes on YouTube seem to reveal that the group stunt skiing world hasn't really evolved beyond this one trick, so maybe it holds up better than I think. This video was from 2006 and people are losing their shit over it:

Although, if you notice, the folks on top start out on top, thus risking no lost skis, so I guess the industry has learned a few tricks since the 80s.

• Like 5

I'm a kid of the 80s and I saw Jaws 3D when I was fairly young (on TV) but the movie I saw way more was The Muppets Take Manhatten and it only occurred to me this evening that since Manhatten came out in 1984, this scene is totally a homage to Jaws 3D.

• Like 4

So June was wrong...again.

While this film was made in Orlando, the actual SeaWorld in this film is completely fictitious and not suppose to be the one actually here in Orlando. In the beginning the water skiers are practicing in the actual ocean outside the park and come into the lagoon through a channel-way protected by the gates. Then we have the employees meeting after work at the ocean side dive bar, again outside the park for their champagne of the working classes, games of stand off, and heavy discussions of their career paths and relationship statuses via the shoreline. Also during the press event, we see the model of the park and it’s pointed out how the ocean is connected with the manmade lagoon. Last time I checked Orlando is landlocked, meaning this park while in Florida is not suppose to be the actual Orlando destination. Thus meaning  Junes comment of the cast never leaving the park in the film is false….both filming took place outside SeaWorld and the characters within the story were outside the park at least few times.

18 hours ago, Elektra Boogaloo said:

Oh, also, regarding June’s question about dolphins “raping” humans. I don’t think we can really use the term rape. Dolphins ado have sex for pleasure and they are aggressive and form gangs. (Yeah, that’s right, dolphin gangs—it’s the next West Side Story). But... while I agree that dolphins are little shits that always have their dicks out, I don’t think they understand human notions of consent. 

If they did, that would make a crazy horror movie. Way scarier than Jaws. 

But, still, I never want to go to those “swim with dolphins” events. One of my coworkers showed me a family picture and we were laughing because it’s like a happy couple with a dolphin but the dolphin’s penis is clearly out. 

Animals are just being animals. People are stupid.

There actually have been incidents where dolphins have tried to have sex with people. Also dolphins can have a really aggressive mating practice where they pretty much violently gang rape the unfortunate female dolphin in question. 

• Like 2

For those who remember my  strong suspicion of dolphins from The Meg an update on humanity's hubris and my growing belief that the dolphins will be how our species meets its end:

Earlier this year a Beluga Whale was found with a Russian GoPro strapped to it off the coast of Norway that *might* have been spy / escaped from a Russian naval base in the region. ( It was discovered when it kept going to boats asking for fish and trying to play fetch)

Which is bonkers in and of itself.

The Russian rebuttal though ! 

"Interviewed by Russian broadcaster Govorit Moskva, Col Viktor Baranets said "if we were using this animal for spying do you really think we'd attach a mobile phone number with the message 'please call this number'?"

"We have military dolphins for combat roles, we don't cover that up," he said.

"In Sevastopol (in Crimea) we have a centre for military dolphins, trained to solve various tasks, from analysing the seabed to protecting a stretch of water, killing foreign divers, attaching mines to the hulls of foreign ships."

The dolphin facility in Crimea used to be under Ukrainian control, but was seized by the Russian navy in 2014, when Russian forces took over the peninsula. "

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-48090616

So now I have to worry about KILLER MILITARY DOLPHINS WHO KNOW HOW TO ATTACH BOMBS

Truly dolphins are the monsters of the deep we don't have to make them worse!

• Like 5

I never thought I would have a Childhood Story like Paul! I also tried to French kiss my mom when I was in kindergarten because my babysitter had been watching something and I thought I had been kissing my mom goodbye wrong . Unlike Paul *I* instantly realized my mom was not here for it so I turned it into a fish kiss by doing that thing where you suck in your cheeks like a little fishy mouth. 

Apparently fish kisses aren't that great either. That was an awkward drop off.

I can't wait to talk about this brand new formerly repressed memory in therapy next week. Thanks Paul!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

This movie and the way Dennis Quaid and others tend to throw caution playfully to the wind and jump into the water fully clothed makes me nostalgic for a time when one might hurl oneself wantonly into a pool or body of water without regards for things like cellphones. Such whimsy tends to be expensive these days. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, gigi-tastic said:

For those who remember my  strong suspicion of dolphins from The Meg an update on humanity's hubris and my growing belief that the dolphins will be how our species meets its end:

Earlier this year a Beluga Whale was found with a Russian GoPro strapped to it off the coast of Norway that *might* have been spy / escaped from a Russian naval base in the region. ( It was discovered when it kept going to boats asking for fish and trying to play fetch)

Which is bonkers in and of itself.

The Russian rebuttal though ! 

"Interviewed by Russian broadcaster Govorit Moskva, Col Viktor Baranets said "if we were using this animal for spying do you really think we'd attach a mobile phone number with the message 'please call this number'?"

"We have military dolphins for combat roles, we don't cover that up," he said.

"In Sevastopol (in Crimea) we have a centre for military dolphins, trained to solve various tasks, from analysing the seabed to protecting a stretch of water, killing foreign divers, attaching mines to the hulls of foreign ships."

The dolphin facility in Crimea used to be under Ukrainian control, but was seized by the Russian navy in 2014, when Russian forces took over the peninsula. "

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-48090616

So now I have to worry about KILLER MILITARY DOLPHINS WHO KNOW HOW TO ATTACH BOMBS

Truly dolphins are the monsters of the deep we don't have to make them worse!

There was a book years ago call The Day of the Dolphin which later became a movie starring George C. Scott that was influenced by the fact that military superpowers were using dolphins for mine detection and other military acts, but in this film the dolphins are trained to pull off assassinations by placing mines/bombs on political leaders' boats. This is also reference a little in the fantastic comic series Animosity where after all animals on Earth gain the ability to speak understandably to humans, some who had been used for military purposes create their own army to fight for equal rights and footing with humans.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, RyanSz said:

There was a book years ago call The Day of the Dolphin which later became a movie starring George C. Scott that was influenced by the fact that military superpowers were using dolphins for mine detection and other military acts, but in this film the dolphins are trained to pull off assassinations by placing mines/bombs on political leaders' boats. This is also reference a little in the fantastic comic series Animosity where after all animals on Earth gain the ability to speak understandably to humans, some who had been used for military purposes create their own army to fight for equal rights and footing with humans.

The weird thing is they actually did try to teach dolphins to speak English/ learn Dolphin. Funding was partly secured by NASA and it's one of the more infamous projects from the 60's. I mean it had  people giving dolphins LSD, the much talked about dolphin handjobs from a pretty young woman who had turned her lab into her home and physically lives there, and  sadly the story also had tragedy as the most well known dolphin Peter committed suicide after the lab shut down according to what I've read.  It's understandable why it was a sensational story.

The Guardian had a pretty good article on it and I know Drunk History covered it

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/jun/08/the-dolphin-who-loved-me

• Like 2

On 7/5/2019 at 6:19 PM, Blast Hardcheese said:

I actually saw this movie in 3-D in the 80's. My older sister, who was stuck baby sitting me, snuck me into to a showing of Jaws 3-D at the crusty old second-run movie theater across the street from our house. She and her high school friends razed me every time I'd cover my eyes during the scary parts of the film (keep in mind, I was 9 years old). From what I can remember, the 3-D effects were indeed 3-D-ish, but not overly impressive. I do remember wearing the 3-D glasses to school the next day like I thought I was the absolute shit, only to be mercilessly made fun of by some older bmx-er/rocker dudes. Man, I've really been suppressing that memory for the last couple of decades...

O

I was in high school during the 80’s 3D resurgence, and saw most of them. They were all pretty cheesy, but my favorite was “Parasite.” It was low-budget, starring a young Demi Moore. It was MST3K-level ridiculous, but it had one of the best 3D reveals ever. 

I went to see “Jaws 3D” on opening night with a group of friends. The theater was packed, and we had to sit in the back row. After 30 minutes, the audience completely lost it, yelling insults at the screen, throwing popcorn and empty soda cups at the screen. It was like the theater scene from “Gremlins.” It was one of the best times I’ve had at a movie, just 200 people united in their hatred for a really terrible movie.

One of the nice things about the era was the re-release of “House Of Wax” with Vincent Price. It had the best 3D effect I’ve ever seen. Towards the end, Charles Bronson’s character runs into the scene from the foreground, and it absolutely looked like someone leaping into the scene from the audience. 

• Like 2

Am I the only one ho thinks SPACE JAM was culturally relevant? I am on board with the dismissal of AVATAR. I don’t know if the remake will capture this, but there as this moment in the 90s where kids wore shirts and such Loony Tunes characters with baggy pants and backward caps. I think it started as parody, and then WB embraced it. Which is why it’s about basketball and the soundtrack is all rap and R&B. (I was very sad to delete the soundtrack from my iPod because of the R Kelly connection.) 

I don’t think it is the Looney Tunes that people really watch for? Like that is fine for kids, but older people like the music and the basketball?

• Like 5

On 7/5/2019 at 10:32 AM, pscudese said:

Hey all... sorry I haven’t posted in awhile  

So Paul mentioned how strange it was that Michael Brody (ie. Dennis Quaid) didn't call out that he's had issues with sharks in the past. No reference to Amnity, etc. But taking that a step further, I now have major annoyances with this character's reaction to a great white in Jaws 4. 

In the 4th film, Michael is pumped to follow and study a great white shark that is known to these waters. So you're telling me, after witnessing a man being eaten alive in front of you as a child (thus causing you to go into shock)... to then a great white killing co-workers and almost eating you multiple times... that when you find a 3rd GWS, you want to study it?!

Fuuuuuhhhhhccckkkk You!!! Get eaten. 

It’s worth pointing out that Quaid’s character does in fact refer to Great White Sharks as “murderers” - which is an absolutely insane thing to call an animal. They’re just animals. It’s not their fault. Peter Benchley himself has famously become an ardent defender of sharks in response to this kind of thinking, feeling that his book and the original movie gave people the false impression that all sharks were dangerous and should therefore be killed indiscriminately. At least, his was an accident based on ignorance. This movie is straight up like, “Great Whites? Oh yeah, they’re fucking psychos, bro. They need to die!”

But, yeah, I agree. Based on his personal history, Quaid’s career trajectory - and just his overall area of interest - is freaking bizarre. At least his brother moved to Colorado. That makes at least makes some sense. (That is, until he moves back to Amity Island, gets a job on the water, and is subsequently eaten by ANOTHER Great White shark...)

• Like 5

21 hours ago, PollyDarton said:

My favorite part of the Coral Thief Murders was after Jaws ate them, he ate their boat - thus destroying the evidence! It was pretty much the perfect crime...

tenor.gif?itemid=7326482

• Like 5
  • Haha 1