🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 217.5 - Minisode 217.5

Cage rage, the similarities between Halloween III and Jaws 3, and more on this week’s mini-sode! Paul opens up the Explanation Hope Line, goes through Corrections and Omissions for Jaws 3D, and gives his Pick of the Week. Plus, find out which movie we will be watching next week!

Subscribe to Unspooled with Paul Scheer and Amy Nicholson here: http://www.earwolf.com/show/unspooled/

Check out our tour dates over at www.hdtgminfo.com!

Check out new HDTGM merch over at https://www.teepubli…wdidthisgetmade

Where to Find Jason, June & Paul:

@PaulScheer on Instagram & Twitter

@Junediane on IG and @MsJuneDiane on Twitter

I will never stop judging Sea World! But I definitely would love to pet a great white in the wild, like underwater as one passes by whatever safe container I'm in. Or if I'm sitting on a boat and it goes underneath. My previous comment was hypocritical! I'm the type of person who has to touch everything! I will one day lose a hand!

• Like 3

Finally the movie teased all the way back in episode 2, even more insane that Cage might not even be the craziest thing about this movie.

• Like 4

The caller whose in laws are sending her baby clothes? That shit is BONKERS and NOT OKAY. I do think it's a good idea to donate the clothes, because even if you do have a kid, you don't want to wrap him or her or it up in all that passive aggressive energy. But you got to tell them to cut that shit out. Or actually, have your significant other do it. They are his responsibility. That's not a thing. It's not okay. You don't have a baby, don't send baby clothes.

I'd look into women's shelters in the area, they usually need stuff for small kids.

NEVER STOP JUDGING SEA WORLD.

• Like 4

A correction on the minisode:  A different movie called “Deadfall” is free on Vudu. It stars Eric Bana and Olivia Wilde. 

Even though the Deadfall on VUDU is different, I found a 1/2 hour “Nicolas Cage” cut of the 1993 Deadfall on YouTube. I would not want to sit through this entire film, but this collection of scenes is hilarious and awful. It seems like his accent changes every thirty seconds. “Hi-fucking-yah!” Indeed.

here’s the link:

I love that we are all united in our never ending judgment of Sea World! Also I'm still mad on behalf of the caller whose in laws are sending them baby clothes without a bsby. Donate them to a local shelter for domestic abuse they can always take things like that I think

• Like 4

On 7/12/2019 at 10:39 AM, Elektra Boogaloo said:

The caller whose in laws are sending her baby clothes? That shit is BONKERS and NOT OKAY. I do think it's a good idea to donate the clothes, because even if you do have a kid, you don't want to wrap him or her or it up in all that passive aggressive energy. But you got to tell them to cut that shit out. Or actually, have your significant other do it. They are his responsibility. That's not a thing. It's not okay. You don't have a baby, don't send baby clothes.

I'd look into women's shelters in the area, they usually need stuff for small kids.

NEVER STOP JUDGING SEA WORLD.

I didn't see you also recommended sending the clothes to a shelter. Smart!

On 7/12/2019 at 3:21 AM, muttnik said:

I will never stop judging Sea World! But I definitely would love to pet a great white in the wild, like underwater as one passes by whatever safe container I'm in. Or if I'm sitting on a boat and it goes underneath. My previous comment was hypocritical! I'm the type of person who has to touch everything! I will one day lose a hand!

I'm right there with you. We're gonna end up like Buster on Arrested Development

tenor.gif?itemid=3435817

it will be worth it though to Touch The Thing!

• Like 2

I'm blown away that the Movie Bitches thought they'd go to Detective Pikachu and get Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, which is easily a top 5 all-time fav, but I'm also blown away that they think WFRR? is a kids' movie? Murder, alcoholism, a truly frightening main villain, tons of sexual innuendo and Jessica goddamn Rabbit? It seems more like a nostalgia movie for boomers who grew up with Looney Tunes and Disney and wanted to see them in a more mature setting.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit -- a kid's movie: Yeah or nah?

EDIT to add: Not that kids can't enjoy it, because I surely did, but I just don't think Zemeckis really had kids in mind when he made it.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, The_Triple_Lindy said:

I'm blown away that the Movie Bitches thought they'd go to Detective Pikachu and get Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, which is easily a top 5 all-time fav, but I'm also blown away that they think WFRR? is a kids' movie? Murder, alcoholism, a truly frightening main villain, tons of sexual innuendo and Jessica goddamn Rabbit? It seems more like a nostalgia movie for boomers who grew up with Looney Tunes and Disney and wanted to see them in a more mature setting.

EDIT to add: Not that kids can't enjoy it, because I surely did, but I just don't think Zemeckis really had kids in mind when he made it.

WFRR is really weird.

I was shown it as a kid by a teacher because they thought it was a kids movie during day camp. That was an ....interesting... Day.

Apparently a lot of people thought it was a kids movie which is CRAZY

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, The_Triple_Lindy said:

Who Framed Roger Rabbit is no less a kid's movie than a lot of Dreamworks movies.

I haven't seen Shrek but I've seen enough that there's a character functionally named "Lord Fuckwad" who built a huge castle because he's "overcompensating." I know it has a lot of jokes that are references only adults will get but aren't necessarily inappropriate for children.

That doesn't exactly give Roger Rabbit a pass but I guess I don't think it's too bad. Maybe that's just because I watched it a lot as a kid though?

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, The_Triple_Lindy said:

I’d say it’s an 80’s family movie. There’s a lot in it that wouldn’t get by today (e.g. smoking), but was common for the time. I don’t feel like it’s a movie made with an adults-only mindset. There’s sexuality, but no actual sex. But then you could say the same thing about Betty Boop. A lot of the things that we might consider problematic today were present in those old cartoons already.

Cool World is WFRR for adults.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

Cool World is WFRR for no one.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

I’d say it’s an 80’s family movie. There’s a lot in it that wouldn’t get by today (e.g. smoking), but was common for the time. I don’t feel like it’s a movie made with an adults-only mindset. There’s sexuality, but no actual sex. But then you could say the same thing about Betty Boop. A lot of the things that we might consider problematic today were present in those old cartoons already.

Nawwwww... there's some DARK SHIT in WFRR. The Dip and the shoe? Holy Shit.

• Like 2

On 7/13/2019 at 10:49 PM, PollyDarton said:

Nawwwww... there's some DARK SHIT in WFRR. The Dip and the shoe? Holy Shit.

I’m not saying it’s not dark. I’m just (partly) saying that we used to not worry as much about dark stories aimed at children. 

• Like 1

I was about 13 when WFRR came out and that was the right age for it. I went with my younger brother and he just found the 1940s detective plot boring. I still enjoy the film today, but it relies on 1940s noir tropes and cartoon references  that are over most kids heads and are difficult for kids to care about. I remember the film getting a very mixed reaction among my friends at the time.

Shrek has humor for adults in it, but it’s underlying story is more universal and there aren’t any jokes where the main character is shoved down the hero’s pants and made to look like a boner. I work in the public school system and if kids were given a choice between WFRR and Shrek, it would be Shrek every time (but Toy Story is the champ). I also think WFRR was intended for kids in the 80s because we were raised on WB and Disney cartoons, but these days WB cartoons aren’t nearly as popular as they used to be. The movie has aged out. I’ve even tried to watch it with my nephew and he couldn’t get into it because he had no connection to the classic characters (and he thought the detective stuff was boring).

As for myself, it will always have a nostalgic place in my heart.

• Like 1

And I’d quickly like to add that WFRR would not have have worked if it hadn’t been for Bob Hoskins, who was a-fucking-mazing (in this role and many others)! RIP, Bob Hoskins.

• Like 2

On 7/13/2019 at 1:07 PM, gigi-tastic said:

I'm right there with you. We're gonna end up like Buster on Arrested Development

tenor.gif?itemid=3435817

it will be worth it though to Touch The Thing!

But seriously, if small kitties love butt scratchies, then big kitties must also love butt scratchies. What if crocodiles are excellent cuddlers? One day I will find out.

• Like 2

The video store I worked at had two copies of WFRR; one copy was in the comedy section and the other was in the children's section. Make of that what you will. Watership Down was also in the children's section, though I later manually changed it to the special interests section as I wouldn't call Watership Down light children's fare.

• Like 3

Deadfall was awful not even fun ...just AWFUL...Michael Biehn is very attractive that's the best I can say.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2019 at 4:48 AM, GrahamS. said:

Even though the Deadfall on VUDU is different, I found a 1/2 hour “Nicolas Cage” cut of the 1993 Deadfall on YouTube. I would not want to sit through this entire film, but this collection of scenes is hilarious and awful. It seems like his accent changes every thirty seconds. “Hi-fucking-yah!” Indeed.

here’s the link:

was this movie shot by Tommy Wiseau? wow.  just wow. 

ETA: IMDb says this has an estimated $10,000,000 budget!?

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, muttnik said:

But seriously, if small kitties love butt scratchies, then big kitties must also love butt scratchies. What if crocodiles are excellent cuddlers? One day I will find out.

This is exactly my dilemma. Fuck killing people during the Purge I'm breaking into the zoo to play with the red pandas God damnit!

• Like 2