Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Gordon Shumway

The Fanatic (2019)

Recommended Posts

I am not sure if this is the next comeback for or the death note for John Travolta.

John Travolta plays a super crazy, possibly autistic (??), possibly developmentally disabled super fan named Moose..yes, Moose.  He wears horrible floral shirts, shorts, and a backpack.  He has a half bowl cut (cut waaaaaaay too high above the ears) half mullet hair cut.  He is super obsessed with an actor, played by Devon Sawa (of Final Destination and Idol Hands "fame").  He stutters and sways and rocks and whines.  Ugh, so bad.  To top it all off...it is co-written and directed by Fred.Effing.Durst.  AND, there is a whole scene where Devon's character is with his kid in the car jamming to a Limp Bizkit song.  I cannot WAIT to hear your take on this one.  :-)

Travolta Hair.png

Travolta.png

Share this post


Link to post

This does look terrible. Honestly, I still like John Travolta (and if you hold Scientology against him, he’s WAY less shady than Tom Cruise) and so I just have no desire to see him debase himself this way. I’d watch Gotti, though.:)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Yea his current run of paycheck movies is a bummer, I recently re-watched american crime story and I still love his insane performance as Robert Shapiro. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, GrahamS. said:

This does look terrible. Honestly, I still like John Travolta (and if you hold Scientology against him, he’s WAY less shady than Tom Cruise) and so I just have no desire to see him debase himself this way. I’d watch Gotti, though.:)

I love John Travolta as well...have since I was a kid and saw Grease.  I just wish he would start picking better movies and directors that lead him down the correct path.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, Ofcoursemyhorse said:

Yea his current run of paycheck movies is a bummer, I recently re-watched american crime story and I still love his insane performance as Robert Shapiro. 

American Crime Story was unexpectedly GREAT from top to bottom. I really enjoyed his performance in that, too.

Share this post


Link to post

Plus, on a personal level, I have seizures. The fact that his son died in a pool while having a seizure is fucking heartbreaking.

Share this post


Link to post

Honestly, I think ANYONE who is in a potential HDTGM film who has had a kid die should get a free pass on getting bad-mouthed. It just seems mean and in poor taste.

That being said, it seems like Gotti (which I haven’t seen) has SO MUCH MORE to laugh at than Travolta—like its aspirations to be of Goodfellas/Godfather-type stature—that it might be worth a watch. 

Share this post


Link to post
36 minutes ago, GrahamS. said:

Plus, on a personal level, I have seizures. The fact that his son died in a pool while having a seizure is fucking heartbreaking.

Agreed.  The fact that his son was autistic should have also made him pass on this movie, or at least pass on the idea of playing it like he was autistic.  And, not just autistic, but the Dustin Hoffman Rain Man version.  Not at all what autism looks like.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×