Jump to content
DrGuts1003

HDTGM movie defenders

Recommended Posts

This was an idea that was raised in the Drop Dead Fred thread, but I thought it was a topic that merited it’s own thread.

What is the film(s) that the show has covered that you not only unapologetically love, but also hated hearing Paul, Jason and/or June say negative things about it?

 

For me, the only two that come to mind are

A View to a Kill - I don’t really think any Bond film belongs on a show like this and it felt like they only did it to do the crossover with the James Bond podcast hosts.  And if you are going to do a Bond film, I feel there are worse films in the franchise that they could have chosen instead.

Jingle All the Way - This is one that my family makes a point of watching every Christmas and while it’s not a good movie, there are a lot of lines from it that we quote from it all the time.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I can't really say that I love any of them, but I still think Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow was pretty decent.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I still think Mortal Kombat is a good movie, and I feel it's still one of the better game adaptations out there. Solid cast, solid choices for the time, solid theme song.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Oh, and Rock Star! That movie is fine. It's not great, not terrible, just fine.

My picks are fairly boring since they each have Rotten Tomatoes scores above 50.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

As I said in the episode thread, that movie for me was Beautiful Creatures. When it was announced, I distinctly remember wondering why they were doing that movie over so many others that they could be doing. I just felt like they went inordinately hard on it, and I disagreed with almost everything they said. I even remember thinking at the time that the episode felt “mean” which is a vibe I usually don’t get from them. (Although, to be fair, I might have been feeling a bit defensive and projected that upon them.)

I’m not saying that BC is a perfect movie or that it’s above scrutiny, but in that movie’s case, it felt like they went out of their way to criticize it and most of their criticisms were pretty weak. Most of the time I get it, but that one left me cold.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I mentioned it in the other thread but I loved Spice World as a kid . I don't think it's a masterpiece of cinema, it's absolutely perfect for this podcast, but I was sad that they didn't seem to get its fun kooky vibe.  I thought I would be in for a fun happy time of tomfoolery ala The Room or any of the other ridiculous but fun movies we have seen. It's not a gem like Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night 2 but I did think that they seemed to not get the vibe. It's camp! It's fun! It's Spice World!

Now if anyone needs me I will be blaring Say You'll Be There and other works of musical genius out of my TARDIS like tour bus.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I’ve actually defended Spider-Man 3 on these forums before. No matter how many times they said it, it was not a “franchise killer.” Raimi wanted more time to do a fourth one and the studio wouldn’t (couldn’t?) give it to him.

Also, the infamous dancing sequence was meant to show that Parker was tragically unhip, that trying to be cool didn’t fit him in the slightest, and that the symbiote made him into something that he wasn’t.

Don’t get me wrong, it has a lot of flaws and I haven’t seen it in ages, but the movie has a 63% on Rotten Tomatoes, which sounds about right. It’s really not on the level of the terrible movies that HDTGM is supposed to be about.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, CaptainAmazing said:

I’ve actually defended Spider-Man 3 on these forums before. No matter how many times they said it, it was not a “franchise killer.” Raimi wanted more time to do a fourth one and the studio wouldn’t (couldn’t?) give it to him.

Also, the infamous dancing sequence was meant to show that Parker was tragically unhip, that trying to be cool didn’t fit him in the slightest, and that the symbiote made him into something that he wasn’t.

Don’t get me wrong, it has a lot of flaws and I haven’t seen it in ages, but the movie has a 63% on Rotten Tomatoes, which sounds about right. It’s really not on the level of the terrible movies that HDTGM is supposed to be about.

Yeah, I kind of agree. It doesn't totally work, but it wasn't as bad as people make it out to be now.

(And jazz-dancing Peter Parker is hilarious and I wouldn't want to lose it.)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
23 hours ago, sycasey 2.0 said:

And jazz-dancing Peter Parker is hilarious and I wouldn't want to lose it.)

They made good use of it in Into The Spider-Verse, at least.

Otherwise, that movie suffers hard compared to Raimi 2, and I think that's why people were so disappointed. It also suffers from the same thing a lot of super-films suffer from, including "good" ones like The Dark Knight: too long, too many villains, murky/shitty CG, big dumb laundry-list battle at the end.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, theworstbuddhist said:

They made good use of it in Into The Spider-Verse, at least.

Otherwise, that movie suffers hard compared to Raimi 2, and I think that's why people were so disappointed. It also suffers from the same thing a lot of super-films suffer from, including "good" ones like The Dark Knight: too long, too many villains, murky/shitty CG, big dumb laundry-list battle at the end.

By far the biggest problem is that Venom clearly doesn't belong in the movie, and by now everyone knows the studio forced Raimi to write him in. It really shows. They have to devote so much time to explaining the character's origin that all the other storylines get short shrift. Sandman + Green Goblin 2 were enough on their own.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I would say Demolition Man. I think it's a legitimately entertaining film, and a lot of its satirical and comedic stuff lands pretty well. The central idea of the violent angry male archetypes 9f yesterday being a shock to the system of future society has pretty much come true.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
50 minutes ago, sycasey 2.0 said:

By far the biggest problem is that Venom clearly doesn't belong in the movie, and by now everyone knows the studio forced Raimi to write him in. It really shows. They have to devote so much time to explaining the character's origin that all the other storylines get short shrift. Sandman + Green Goblin 2 were enough on their own.

I wasn't aware of this, but it certainly makes sense. I've always kind of hated the Venom character, though the recent film was ok. I enjoyed it more than Raimi 3, anyway..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, theworstbuddhist said:

I wasn't aware of this, but it certainly makes sense. I've always kind of hated the Venom character, though the recent film was ok. I enjoyed it more than Raimi 3, anyway..

I think if you're going to introduce Venom as a Spider-Man villain, you need to tease it out over time. It's a lot to explain: an alien costume, bonded to Spider-Man, rejected by Spider-Man, finds this other guy who also hates Spider-Man, bonds with him instead. If you've also got a bunch of other characters to introduce and give full arcs to, that's gonna be tough to do in one movie.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I will say that I love and own:

Burlesque

The Backup Plan

 Liz & Dick

 Spice World on VHS

 Crossroads

 I 😍Simply Irresistible

I bought Geostorm because of the podcast and its the best decision I've ever made. Is it still fun to listen to others tear them to shreds tho. Absolutely. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
38 minutes ago, Gregory&Winona said:

I will say that I love and own:

Burlesque

The Backup Plan

 Liz & Dick

 Spice World on VHS

 Crossroads

 I 😍Simply Irresistible

I bought Geostorm because of the podcast and its the best decision I've ever made. Is it still fun to listen to others tear them to shreds tho. Absolutely. 

You are only a few posts old but already bringing the heat. Bless you.

Fun fact, me and some other bad-movie-loving friends went to see Crossroads in the theatre when it came out. All of us were well into our twenties (at least) and we laughed and mocked the film among ourselves at the back while some poor twelve-year-old girls and their moms tried to enjoy it. We were dicks, basically.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post

For me it's Hudson Hawk. I love that movie so much, in a similar way that people love Spice World. I can recognize that it's not a GOOD movie, but it is a movie that I absolutely love.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/8/2019 at 5:54 PM, theworstbuddhist said:

You are only a few posts old but already bringing the heat. Bless you.

Fun fact, me and some other bad-movie-loving friends went to see Crossroads in the theatre when it came out. All of us were well into our twenties (at least) and we laughed and mocked the film among ourselves at the back while some poor twelve-year-old girls and their moms tried to enjoy it. We were dicks, basically.

I did that at 2 Fast 2 Furious.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Gregory&Winona said:

I did that at 2 Fast 2 Furious.

How dare you disrespect Tyrese like this

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, theworstbuddhist said:

How dare you disrespect Tyrese like this

😂We can talk about that whole thing after I see hobbs and shaw this week to see if he has credibility. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Gregory&Winona said:

😂We can talk about that whole thing after I see hobbs and shaw this week to see if he has credibility. 

Spoiler alert: he does not

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, theworstbuddhist said:

Spoiler alert: he does not

I didn't think so but I had to give him the benefit of the doubt. I still have to see it before this weeks podcast dropped. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/8/2019 at 1:31 PM, Cockney Mackem said:

I would say Demolition Man. I think it's a legitimately entertaining film, and a lot of its satirical and comedic stuff lands pretty well. The central idea of the violent angry male archetypes 9f yesterday being a shock to the system of future society has pretty much come true.

I might say Demolition Man, too.  If, for no other reason, than the epiphany that Sandy B's character may actually be Sly's daughter (TIC?).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, CaptainAmazing said:

Relevant:

t8qqwKl.png

I feel like the "Came out in your adult life post-2000" has the obvious flaw of "Assuming that you're a certain age, but not even making it clear what age that is." So until I hear an argument for a better age, let's just replace that one with "Came out in your adult life post age 20."

I'm picking 20 because I don't feel like my judgment was fully formed until at least that age.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×