🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
DartanganMcgee

Short Circuit 1 or 2...or both!

This is obviously a quintessential 80's shit fest, featuring a somewhat racist, but nonetheless charming performance, by one Fisher Stevens. As well as an exceptionally Guttenbergian performance by Steve Guttenberg in his hey-day. Who, as we all know, was lost to the coke filled abyss that was the 1980's. Throw in a wise-cracking robot, and Ally Sheedy, and you have a timeless gem that will make any viewer wonder, how did this get made?

• Like 1

How dare you! Next you will suggest the Paul Rubens was wanking in the sound-booth when recording Flight of the Navigator.

Short was the feel good hit of two summers.. I believed a robot could cry.. i mean fly.. and ever since i have not been able to look a girl named Stephanie in the eye without smiling

I appreciate the fact that this film has a special place in your heart, and that it helped you connect emotionally with robots. But, it would still make an amzing episode, either film would. Really, any Guttenberg film would make a great episode.

Fair enough.. how about Jason appearing in the possible remake as Ben Jabituya/Jahrvi.. i could totally see that...

Input Stephanie... hehehehe (titters to self)

hehe.. titters.

"how about Jason appearing in the possible remake as Ben Jabituya/Jahrvi.. i could totally see that..."

Call me nine dollars lighter.

There was talk about remaking this at some point but I think it fell into development hell.

As a kid, I honestly did not know that Fisher Stevens wasn't Indian.

I was a very stupid child.

• Like 3

He isn't racist.. He's from Bakersfield originally but his ancestors are from Pittsburgh.

• Like 1

I like Fisher Stevens but not these films. The type of movie that if you looking back on and think maybe not such a good idea. but it isn't the first time Hollywood has made a movie like this. with white people dressed up as a different Minority. Certainly no Remo Williams. ;) such a great movie if you haven't seen it yet. BTW I am being sarcastic.

anyone remember the music video in the 80's for this. oh lets,

I remember seeing this music video and thinking YES someone got a robot movie right! ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojO_BcsmTtg

Looking at this video I sort have to admit I do have a bit of a crush on Ally Sheedy, she still looks good for her age Looking at pictures of her on IMDB. I liked her in the "The Breakfast Club" don't know how she got talked into this Short Circuit 2.

Looking at this video I sort have to admit I do have a bit of a crush on Ally Sheedy, she still looks good for her age Looking at pictures of her on IMDB. I liked her in the "The Breakfast Club" don't know how she got talked into this Short Circuit 2.

She doesn't appear in Short Circuit 2, it's just a clip of her voice. I have to figure Sheedy & Gutenberg basically refused to do another one of these (or they wanted too much money) and that's why the follow-up is suddenly about Stevens horribly racist caricature/character.

Listening to that DeBarge song now I want to sing 'Who Charted' instead of 'Who's Johnny'.

• Like 1

I am so so sorry I link that here. because I clicked it and now got hear worm. , I don't think i've ever really watch all of the "Short Circuit" movies and yet they keep playing them on tv all the dam time. Someones watching them. Maybe it's on for prison inmates, Ryan Sz prison is playing those movies for the inmates. some form of sick torture. I wounder has Fisher Stevens ever really talked about playing a east Indian character? or is there some rule in his contract that you can't talk to him about Short Circuit.

Has Fisher Stevens ever been on inside the actors studiio? James lipton "and then you did Short Circuit"

I take it, he doesn't eat east Indian food much anymore, that is one sure bet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci7lT37zMZE

get ready to have your minds blow away!

If there was a Mt. Rushmore of the great 80s soundtrack artists, El DeBarge would be right up there with Kenny Loggins and...I don't know, like two or three other versions of Kenny Loggins.

If there was a Mt. Rushmore of the great 80s soundtrack artists, El DeBarge would be right up there with Kenny Loggins and...I don't know, like two or three other versions of Kenny Loggins.

good god, I forgot about this one. look at the two creepy looking guys in the back on the car singing along with the same hair style and mustache.

sharp group of lads.

debarge.jpg

Is that John Laroquett in the military security outfit and hat?

Definitely not. I think it's supposed to be a GW Bailey look-a-like, but it's not a very good one.

Also, how hilarious is it they used a cardboard cutout of Steve Guttenberg? It's odd to think there was a time when Guttenberg was such hot shit he could turn down music video cameos.

• Like 1

I still got "who is johnny" in my head. "i hurt myself today, to see if I still feel": OHH boy! Don't look like it's going away anytime soon..

Who Charted she said

and a Gu Cruise took Kulap away

'Chartists' she said

You know I love you

Who Charted she said

And Howard jumped on right away

Definitely not. I think it's supposed to be a GW Bailey look-a-like, but it's not a very good one.

Also, how hilarious is it they used a cardboard cutout of Steve Guttenberg? It's odd to think there was a time when Guttenberg was such hot shit he could turn down music video cameos.

I don't think it is actually Laroquette just that it looks a lot like him to me. Look at the facial expressions. Reminds me a lot of Dan Fielding. Guess that it is the whole court room setting reminding me of Night Court.

I'm really sad that neither of these have been up to bat yet. The second one in particular is so richly deserving of it.

Obviously Stan Bush would be on that list, but there's also a song from Bonnie "Total Eclipse Of The Heart" Tyler on SC2 (and it's probably the best part of the movie):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gghy92F_Jcw

I used to love SC2 when I was a kid, but I caught some of it on TV as an adult and couldn't believe how terrible it was.

How has no one mentioned that Fisher Stevens' shameful brownface performance includes the line "I am sporting a tremendous woody right now”??

• Like 1

I don't see how the character of Ben is any more racist than Apu on The Simpsons.

Let's stop all this PC Nazism, please.

I don't see how the character of Ben is any more racist than Apu on The Simpsons.

Let's stop all this PC Nazism, please.

Oofa magoof. I honestly can't tell if you're trolling or just incredibly stupid. For now I'll play along and pretend it's the latter. Can you really not comprehend why a white man applying brownface and performing a horrible stereotype of an Indian in a major motion picture might be a little problematic?

• Like 3