🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Episode 219.5

Child psychology, Japanese ratings, and a fake Michael Bay all on this week’s mini-sode! Paul opens up the Explanation Hope Line, goes through Corrections and Omissions for Drop Dead Fred, and gives his Pick of the Week. Plus, find out which movie we will be watching next week!

This episode is brought to you by Hotel Tonight (www.hoteltonight.com).

Subscribe to Unspooled with Paul Scheer and Amy Nicholson here: http://www.earwolf.com/show/unspooled/

Check out our tour dates over at www.hdtgminfo.com!

Check out new HDTGM merch over at https://www.teepubli…wdidthisgetmade

Where to Find Jason, June & Paul:

@PaulScheer on Instagram & Twitter

@Junediane on IG and @MsJuneDiane on Twitter

Drunk food is entirely location-dependent.

Southern California has to be late night taco shops; in San Diego it was -Berto's (there are like 10 places with that suffix). 

In Seattle it's gotta be Dick's.

At home it's popcorn.

• Like 3

Drunk food for me is always water, Tylenol, and Mac and cheese

(I loved the episode, I love the show, but I’m so fucking glad we can finally stop talking about Drop Dead Fred)

Congrats to Triple Lindy for the win! 🎈 🥳 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, joel_rosenbaum said:

Drunk food is entirely location-dependent.

Southern California has to be late night taco shops; in San Diego it was -Berto's (there are like 10 places with that suffix). 

In Seattle it's gotta be Dick's.

At home it's popcorn.

Up here in Halifax (very much a college town) it could be pizza - we have an area called "pizza corner" with various places catering to the local young drinkers - but it could also be a magical food called the donair, which is recognized as the city's official food. Some people confuse this with shawarma or doner kebabs, and they are certainly related, but the classic Halifax donair is shaved spiced beef and/or lamb, some onions and tomatoes, all wrapped in a fresh pita and slathered in donair sauce, which is essentially just condensed milk mixed with sugar and a bit of vinegar. I happen to live perilously close to two of the best donair places in the city and now that I have written so much about it, I know I will be buying one sometime this weekend.

Also popular are a thing called garlic fingers; essentially pizza dough buttered with garlic butter and sprinkled with shredded cheese and baked, then sliced into thin strips and often dipped in donair sauce. And, not surprisingly, we also sometimes have donair pizza.

Here is a CBC video from a few years ago explaining this wonderful, wonderful food. (Before you comment: yes, donair sauce looks like jizz, and yes, our mayor's name is Mike Savage. He's kind of an idiot but at least he cast the correct vote for once in his life.)

• Like 2

They announced some of the movies for the tour today. I am trying to figure out why I am so deeply upset about Space Jam being on there. I have concerns about three white people covering a movie that is beloved by urban audiences. I hope they have a person of color as the guest. Or at least someone who knows basketball? Like, intellectually I know it was not a great film. And I have no problem mocking the Looney Tunes or DeVito or the acting of the athletes. But, R. Kelly the notable exception, if you come for the soundtrack we are going to have a problem here.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, theworstbuddhist said:

What are those bottom three movies? They're vaguely familiar but I can't quite place them.

I have no idea what the other two are, but The Visitor is a fantastic movie that was restored and re-released a few years back. Here's the trailer.

Yea, doing Space Jam in Chicago seems kind of crazy. Maybe it's along the lines of "does this movie we loved as a kid still hold up?" angle?

The two Seattle movies seem insane, judging by the posters only. I look forward to those!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, muttnik said:

I have no idea what the other two are, but The Visitor is a fantastic movie that was restored and re-released a few years back. Here's the trailer.

Ah nice, thanks! I knew that last one looked familiar. I feel like I saw it on video ages ago, along with stuff like Liquid Sky, I must check it out again.

Can anyone figure out the alluded to Bruce Willis story involving Armageddon and the number five? Which Paul says can be found online?!?

2 hours ago, AlmostAGhost said:

Yea, doing Space Jam in Chicago seems kind of crazy. Maybe it's along the lines of "does this movie we loved as a kid still hold up?" angle?

The two Seattle movies seem insane, judging by the posters only. I look forward to those!

I really hate to be "lol millennials" but does anyone actually like Space Jam who wasn't born between (approximately) 1982-1992? It is its generation's Goonies where everyone in a certain age saw it and loved it but it's appeal seems lost on everyone outside of that general age range (unless maybe you really love Looney Tunes or something).

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I’ll say this for Space Jam: I saw it for the first time a few months ago, and it was absolutely fine for what it was. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

I really hate to be "lol millennials" but does anyone actually like Space Jam who wasn't born between (approximately) 1982-1992? It is its generation's Goonies where everyone in a certain age saw it and loved it but it's appeal seems lost on everyone outside of that general age range (unless maybe you really love Looney Tunes or something).

I was born in '76 and I like it a lot, but I'm also a giant NBA fan and have been since I was little and think it's fun for that. I haven't seen it in a little bit though. It's definitely just a product placement commercial at its core, though - but certainly there are worse offenders at that too.

• Like 1

They're doing the Pinocchio movie with Jonathan Taylor Thomas?! I hope they discuss the donkey transformation on the rollercoaster scene because that freaked me out when I was little.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

I’ll say this for Space Jam: I saw it for the first time a few months ago, and it was absolutely fine for what it was. 

Yeah. I haven't seen the whole thing but I saw enough to go "sure, I guess so." But I'm sure I would loved it if I were younger. So, whatever. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AlmostAGhost said:

I was born in '76 and I like it a lot, but I'm also a giant NBA fan and have been since I was little and think it's fun for that. I haven't seen it in a little bit though. It's definitely just a product placement commercial at its core, though - but certainly there are worse offenders at that too.

I definitely get this. If there's a specific bit that speaks to you like basketball, it is probably a really fun watch. I can watch The Wizard because I love Nintendo but it really sucks as a movie.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

Yeah. I haven't seen the whole thing but I saw enough to go "sure, I guess so." But I'm sure I would loved it if I were younger. So, whatever. 

I mean, it’s essentially a live action Looney Tunes cartoon - made specifically, I would imagine, not to be scrutinized too closely.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, theworstbuddhist said:

What are those bottom three movies? They're vaguely familiar but I can't quite place them. 

2:22, Fateful Findings, and the Visitor.

28 minutes ago, SlidePocket said:

They're doing the Pinocchio movie with Jonathan Taylor Thomas?! I hope they discuss the donkey transformation on the rollercoaster scene because that freaked me out when I was little.

Oh i thought it was the one with Roberto Benini when I saw the poster. I haven't seen the JTT version but the donkeys in the Disney version scared me as a kid so I am not a Pinocchio fan.

33 minutes ago, AlmostAGhost said:

You're spot on about it being a commercial. I just learned today from Google that it was originally a commercial but it got too long and they, like ended up making it into a movie.

I sort of wish they made the Larry Bird/Jordan McDonald's commercials into a movie.

I did rewatch it like a year ago, and it is like watching a Looney Tunes cartoon, but I loved Tiny Toons and Animaniacs too so maybe I just liked that shit.

Also I did go see Hobbs and Shaw today and I have a lot to say about Vanessa Kirby's eyeliner so get ready for that.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Elektra Boogaloo said:

They announced some of the movies for the tour today. I am trying to figure out why I am so deeply upset about Space Jam being on there. I have concerns about three white people covering a movie that is beloved by urban audiences. I hope they have a person of color as the guest. Or at least someone who knows basketball? Like, intellectually I know it was not a great film. And I have no problem mocking the Looney Tunes or DeVito or the acting of the athletes. But, R. Kelly the notable exception, if you come for the soundtrack we are going to have a problem here.

Sweet, Friday the 13th 6 is the Berkeley movie, though it's not as nutso as Jason Takes Manhattan or Jason Goes to Hell, it is an interesting movie that actually is a satire of the horror tropes that the series was a big part in creating.

4 hours ago, theworstbuddhist said:

The bottom middle is Fateful Findings, which is FUCKING BONKERS. basically made by the American Tommy  Wiseau, Neil Breen. It's truly an amazing watch. As for 2:22, I've never but from reading a brief description it seems like a cheap knockoff of numerous time loop films from the past few years.

3 hours ago, Chemotaxis said:

Can anyone figure out the alluded to Bruce Willis story involving Armageddon and the number five? Which Paul says can be found online?!?

The only thing I saw when I googled it was a line from the movie where Bruce Willis tells Ben Affleck he has five words for him and then says a six word sentence. I thought maybe it might also be something to do with The Fifth Element but I didn't look for anything.

As for Hobbs & Shaw, I saw it a couple days ago and actually liked it more than Fate of the Furious, as the chemistry between the Rock and Statham was the highlight of the movie and this film is that on steroids. I felt that Idris Elba was one of the better villains out of the recent batch of films and I am interested in seeing where they go in future films with this organization that he worked for.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Elektra Boogaloo said:

2:22, Fateful Findings, and the Visitor.

You're spot on about it being a commercial. I just learned today from Google that it was originally a commercial but it got too long and they, like ended up making it into a movie.

Also I did go see Hobbs and Shaw today and I have a lot to say about Vanessa Kirby's eyeliner so get ready for that.

Yeah the Nike Super Bowl commercial with Jordan and Bugs was a huge success and because of that they decided to press their luck and make a film out of it, which today seems insane, but then you remember that they are trying to make a Tetris movie.

• Like 3

I was a teen when The Goonies came out and I fucking hate that movie. Never understood what ppl liked about it. *shrug*

• Like 1

I'm concerned people aren't going to be fully prepared for Neil Breen's Fateful Findings.

For Paul, June, and Jason, and everyone else, please watch a trailer or something before diving right in so you have at least some kind of handle back into the sane world.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Hiny Rugburn said:

I'm concerned people aren't going to be fully prepared for Neil Breen's Fateful Findings.

For Paul, June, and Jason, and everyone else, please watch a trailer or something before diving right in so you have at least some kind of handle back into the sane world.

Even that wasn't enough to prepare me for that movie.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, RyanSz said:

Even that wasn't enough to prepare me for that movie.

40 minutes into it now. I can see the comparison to Tommy Wiseau but so far it feels a lot like a Gary Shandling impersonator made a Twin Peaks Season 3 episode.

• Like 1