Jump to content

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, joel_rosenbaum said:

Drunk food is entirely location-dependent.

Southern California has to be late night taco shops; in San Diego it was -Berto's (there are like 10 places with that suffix). 

In Seattle it's gotta be Dick's.

At home it's popcorn.

Where I live, there are a TON of late night greasy-spoon places, and those that serve a mushroom swiss burger with fries are all tied for my favorite late-night takeout drunk food.

At home, I think my favorite drunk-snack is to just roll up pieces of bread and dip them in random condiments. 

10 hours ago, theworstbuddhist said:

Up here in Halifax (very much a college town) it could be pizza - we have an area called "pizza corner" with various places catering to the local young drinkers - but it could also be a magical food called the donair, which is recognized as the city's official food. Some people confuse this with shawarma or doner kebabs, and they are certainly related, but the classic Halifax donair is shaved spiced beef and/or lamb, some onions and tomatoes, all wrapped in a fresh pita and slathered in donair sauce, which is essentially just condensed milk mixed with sugar and a bit of vinegar. I happen to live perilously close to two of the best donair places in the city and now that I have written so much about it, I know I will be buying one sometime this weekend.

Here is a CBC video from a few years ago explaining this wonderful, wonderful food. (Before you comment: yes, donair sauce looks like jizz, and yes, our mayor's name is Mike Savage. He's kind of an idiot but at least he cast the correct vote for once in his life.)

I try hard not to judge Canadian food on sight, or even on description. I tried poutine for the first time two years ago because my friends were raving about it and I was in Ontario. It's fine but it doesn't read well. The smell won me over enough to try it, I think.

Do you think balls of crumpled up wheat bread dipped in honey mustard or sriracha would play up there? If so, I've got a proposition for you ...

  

11 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

(I loved the episode, I love the show, but I’m so fucking glad we can finally stop talking about Drop Dead Fred)

Congrats to Triple Lindy for the win! 🎈 🥳 

Thanks :) 

Winning the nothing-prize for the most contentious episode ever with a throw-away comment like that might make one hesitant to celebrate a meaningless victory, but ...

tenor.gif?itemid=11885968

Although, assist goes to gigitastic, since it was a reply to their post, so ...

FoolishOrangeIberianchiffchaff-size_rest

5 hours ago, grudlian. said:

I really hate to be "lol millennials" but does anyone actually like Space Jam who wasn't born between (approximately) 1982-1992? It is its generation's Goonies where everyone in a certain age saw it and loved it but it's appeal seems lost on everyone outside of that general age range (unless maybe you really love Looney Tunes or something).

I like basketball, I love Looney Tunes, and I'm okay with Mike, and I was never compelled to see it. 

2 hours ago, theworstbuddhist said:

 I was a teen when The Goonies came out and I fucking hate that movie. Never understood what ppl liked about it. *shrug*

tenor.gif?itemid=10622525

image.png

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, The_Triple_Lindy said:

I try hard not to judge Canadian food on sight, or even on description. I tried poutine for the first time two years ago because my friends were raving about it and I was in Ontario. It's fine but it doesn't read well. The smell won me over enough to try it, I think.

Whew, man, poutine is a bigger topic than you might expect. There are some who would argue that the only place to get real poutine is in Quebec, and they are right in the sense that you are more likely to get one made with the best ingredients, ie. proper Belgian style frites topped with squeaky cheese curds (which you can buy as a snack in little bags in every corner store in Quebec) and gravy. And of course there are butthole chefs out there trying to "elevate" the dish by topping it with shaved truffles or some shit and sell it for $20 from a food truck.

Edited to add: if you go somewhere that advertises poutine and they serve you something that uses like shredded or cubed marble cheese instead of real curds, it is legal in Canada to burn that place to the ground.

Those of us who live outside of Quebec have some decent chain poutinerie options like Smokes, which has pretty decent traditional style poutine plus a bunch of options for topped versions with assorted meats and so on. Definitely a good post-drinking meal, in fact that is probably the only time you SHOULD eat it.

A tip for those who don't speak French: make sure you pronounce it "poo-tin", not "poo-teen" and especially not "poo-tan", the latter of which means "whore" in French (and I think Spanish).

Finally, I thought you might enjoy this photo that just came up on my Instagram feed this morning from my friend Tim: a local lottery corporation scratch ticket promising poutine for life. I may just have to start playing the lottery.

IMG_0867.PNG.5e4c07c1bd73c472a27fb3eb4570e690.PNG

Note to self, make "Poutine Pour la Vie" my new personal brand.

9 hours ago, The_Triple_Lindy said:

Do you think balls of crumpled up wheat bread dipped in honey mustard or sriracha would play up there? If so, I've got a proposition for you ...

I would certainly eat that, but more likely torn up pieces of baguette or cuban bread. Not a big wheat bread eater.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, theworstbuddhist said:

 I was a teen when The Goonies came out and I fucking hate that movie. Never understood what ppl liked about it. *shrug*

I think this is kind of confirming what I'm saying. There are certain movies that just work for kids of a very specific age that don't work outside of that age range. Goonies seems like one where, if you were born 1974 to 1981, you get it completely. If you're not in that window, it might as well never have been made. Space Jam feels like Goonies to me for a younger group. Doesn't mean people outside the target audience can't love them, but seems like a much stronger cultural experience for those in it.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
39 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

I think this is kind of confirming what I'm saying. There are certain movies that just work for kids of a very specific age that don't work outside of that age range. Goonies seems like one where, if you were born 1974 to 1981, you get it completely. If you're not in that window, it might as well never have been made. Space Jam feels like Goonies to me for a younger group. Doesn't mean people outside the target audience can't love them, but seems like a much stronger cultural experience for those in it.

For me, and I assume for others that also love it, it was one of those movies that was always on when you were little. It felt like every weekend. Very few of the people I know who like it actually saw it in theaters. It’s more of something they associate with lazy Sunday afternoons as a kid.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, Chemotaxis said:

Can anyone figure out the alluded to Bruce Willis story involving Armageddon and the number five? Which Paul says can be found online?!?

I'm curious, too. Someone's gotta have the goods.

Share this post


Link to post

I was born in 1980 and I've never liked The Goonies. It's a bad movie.

Anyway, Space Jam is probably also bad, but I'm not sure if it fits this podcast's mission statement? Popular cartoon characters + popular NBA stars? I can absolutely see how that got made.

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, theworstbuddhist said:

Whew, man, poutine is a bigger topic than you might expect. There are some who would argue that the only place to get real poutine is in Quebec, and they are right in the sense that you are more likely to get one made with the best ingredients, ie. proper Belgian style frites topped with squeaky cheese curds (which you can buy as a snack in little bags in every corner store in Quebec) and gravy. And of course there are butthole chefs out there trying to "elevate" the dish by topping it with shaved truffles or some shit and sell it for $20 from a food truck.

Edited to add: if you go somewhere that advertises poutine and they serve you something that uses like shredded or cubed marble cheese instead of real curds, it is legal in Canada to burn that place to the ground.

Those of us who live outside of Quebec have some decent chain poutinerie options like Smokes, which has pretty decent traditional style poutine plus a bunch of options for topped versions with assorted meats and so on. Definitely a good post-drinking meal, in fact that is probably the only time you SHOULD eat it.

Might've been Quebec ... it definitely had the cheese curds. I was on the road with a group, of which one of the members is from Montreal, and her husband, who's from Florida, was getting a real kick out of describing it every chance he got until we finally had to get some.

I also got to know Tim Horton's pretty well, as well as that falafel place that we always found in the highway rest centers. You Canadians really know how to road trip. 

6 hours ago, theworstbuddhist said:

I would certainly eat that, but more likely torn up pieces of baguette or cuban bread. Not a big wheat bread eater.

I don't ever have baguette in the house. But I'd totally dip that shit ... maybe a vinaigrette, or Tsao's sauce.

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/9/2019 at 6:37 AM, joel_rosenbaum said:

Drunk food is entirely location-dependent.

Southern California has to be late night taco shops; in San Diego it was -Berto's (there are like 10 places with that suffix). 

In Seattle it's gotta be Dick's.

At home it's popcorn.

Dick’s is the ultimate Seattle fast food. Don’t let anybody tell you different. I’ve heard people complain that it’s not as good as In N Out, which may be true, but there isn’t any In N Out up here. Plus Dick’s got name-checked on Sir Mix-a-Lot’s “My Posse’s on Broadway!”

P.S.: I’ve always called Taco Bell “Taco Hell” because I got food poisoning at the  location on Broadway. It’s where good tacos are tortured.

Final tangent: if you live in Seattle and have a library card, you can stream The Visitor on Hoopla for free! 

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/9/2019 at 6:35 PM, Hiny Rugburn said:

I'm concerned people aren't going to be fully prepared for Neil Breen's Fateful Findings.

For Paul, June, and Jason, and everyone else, please watch a trailer or something before diving right in so you have at least some kind of handle back into the sane world.

 I have tickets to the Seattle shows and this post made me concerned. Are there any other disclaimers I should be made aware of? What are the side effects of Neil Breen? Should I abstain from alcohol before viewing?

Also, re: the discussion of The Goonies, I was born in 1974 so I was 10 when it came out. As a kid, I loved it because Spielberg could do no wrong in my eyes (even as an executive producer. I also loved Explorers, Young Sherlock Holmes, etc.). I rewatched it on Netflix when it had just started as a streaming service and it did not hold up at all. It was just grating. 

If you’re feeling nostalgic for 80s movies with kids, watch Big or Stand By Me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, GrahamS. said:

 I have tickets to the Seattle shows and this post made me concerned. Are there any other disclaimers I should be made aware of? What are the side effects of Neil Breen? Should I abstain from alcohol before viewing?

Also, re: the discussion of The Goonies, I was born in 1974 so I was 10 when it came out. As a kid, I loved it because Spielberg could do no wrong in my eyes (even as an executive producer. I also loved Explorers, Young Sherlock Holmes, etc.). I rewatched it on Netflix when it had just started as a streaming service and it did not hold up at all. It was just grating. 

If you’re feeling nostalgic for 80s movies with kids, watch Big or Stand By Me.

The only other warning I'd give for watching a Neil Breen movie is do not operate heavy machinery while watching one.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, GrahamS. said:

 I have tickets to the Seattle shows and this post made me concerned. Are there any other disclaimers I should be made aware of? What are the side effects of Neil Breen? Should I abstain from alcohol before viewing?

Also, re: the discussion of The Goonies, I was born in 1974 so I was 10 when it came out. As a kid, I loved it because Spielberg could do no wrong in my eyes (even as an executive producer. I also loved Explorers, Young Sherlock Holmes, etc.). I rewatched it on Netflix when it had just started as a streaming service and it did not hold up at all. It was just grating. 

If you’re feeling nostalgic for 80s movies with kids, watch Big or Stand By Me.

I never heard of Neil Breen until last week and now I have seen Fateful Findings. How I miss those innocent days.

Speaking of, I love coming of age films, but the ones I probably recall the most fondly from the 80s are a pretty mixed bag. I loved the Scottish classic Gregory's Girl (by Bill Forsyth, director of Local Hero) and an early John Cusack screwball comedy called Better off Dead.

I'm actually hard-pressed to think of a film that primarily starred pre-teens that I really loved from that period. I didn't even like ET that much. Stand By Me is great of course, but not your typical adventure film.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Oh! And I totally forgot, now that the first leg of the tour is over, I would like to hear a “baggitry” update about Jason’s bags and June’s opinions thereof. Just wanted to put that out there.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/10/2019 at 9:56 AM, theworstbuddhist said:

Whew, man, poutine is a bigger topic than you might expect. There are some who would argue that the only place to get real poutine is in Quebec, and they are right in the sense that you are more likely to get one made with the best ingredients, ie. proper Belgian style frites topped with squeaky cheese curds (which you can buy as a snack in little bags in every corner store in Quebec) and gravy. And of course there are butthole chefs out there trying to "elevate" the dish by topping it with shaved truffles or some shit and sell it for $20 from a food truck.

Edited to add: if you go somewhere that advertises poutine and they serve you something that uses like shredded or cubed marble cheese instead of real curds, it is legal in Canada to burn that place to the ground.

 

I went to a place in Connecticut that served 'New England Poutine' which meant they replaced the gravy with New England Clam Chowder. It was...an odd mouth experience.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/10/2019 at 4:09 AM, Elektra Boogaloo said:

 

I gotta echo a few things already said. Picking Jason Lives is a very odd choice. It's easily one of the best ones because it is more self aware and tries to have some fun. Yes it's the one that turns him into a zombie but at the same time it matches the tone of what they were going for. I think the only Jason movies worth talking about are Manhattan, Jason Lives and Jason X. I mean the rest are just "yep, they had no money and looks cheap." I guess you could do five in a stretch but there are other far worse and more HDTGM horror films out there.

Also Fateful Findings is rough. I mean rough. It is the kind of movie that makes Birdemic look well acted, scripted and shot. Neil Breen is something they need to cover because his movies and himself are extremely... Breen. There is no other word for it. Just approach cautiously.

On 8/10/2019 at 7:35 AM, grudlian. said:

I really hate to be "lol millennials" but does anyone actually like Space Jam who wasn't born between (approximately) 1982-1992? It is its generation's Goonies where everyone in a certain age saw it and loved it but it's appeal seems lost on everyone outside of that general age range (unless maybe you really love Looney Tunes or something).

I'm born in 1983 which makes me born between Gen X and Millennial on the timeline of things (though I do identify more with Millennial because computers were a big part of my childhood). As I result I can say I enjoy Goonies because it takes me back to watching movies on TV on weekend afternoons. As an adult I realize a lot of the movie's problems but Chunk's movie theater story will always make me smile. As far as Space Jam goes I remember seeing it in theaters. I remember enjoying it. I remember being confused by Lola Bunny but that's about where my memories end. I liked it. I for sure didn't love it or want to watch it all the time. I preferred to watch Tiny Toons or Animaniacs at the time or even the old classic WB cartoons. I also wasn't into basketball at all but of course knew Michael Jordan so that might have something to do with it as well.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

As I Canadian I also feel I must chime in about poutine. I love it. My last trip back home I think I ate it once everyday or every other day a decision which will surely take 2 years off my life. However, so many people just hear about it and think they got it or can do it. It's not that simple. It's not just any cut of fry, thickness of gravy, or cheese. No. It has to be the right kind of fry, a rich thick gravy and real cheese curds. There are places here that try to make it but use wedge fries and shredded cheese. It's just wrong. The only thing that can be added to poutine and keep it poutine is Montreal smoked meat. When you start doing chilli poutin, curry chicken poutine, or things like that you're just putting stuff on fries and you are losing what makes poutine poutine. Poutine is rich, heavy, and unhealthy but so good and maybe like The Goonies, something that can only truly be appreciated on your geological place of birth. As dumb as it sounds and even though they aren't quite the right kind of fry, Costco actually does decent poutine.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Nicole Byer and Sasheer Zamata's podcast had June and Casey on this week (still waiting for the ep with Paul and Jason) and it is very good and I highly recommend. You get to hear more about June's clowning.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

giphy.gif

Surprise bitches I'm back.

Since Hobbs & Shaw drops tomorrow I had to come back to reveal my thoughts, because oh boy do I have them lol. I'm very excited to bring back This Week In Feminism too, because even though I was gone for a few months does not mean I have changed a thing lol. Buckle up, y'all lol.

I also had to come back once I heard them announce 2:22 because, while I have not seen that movie so I'm sure it is terrible, Michiel Huisman is my fucking man, y'all. Ever since I saw him on Orphan Black I have been in love with him, and he is a much better actor than I'm sure they will talk about so no matter what I have to defend this stupid movie. Go watch Hill House cause that is a much better representation of his skills lmao. But he's so hot y'all. He's just so hot.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, taylorannephoto said:

giphy.gif

Surprise bitches I'm back.

Since Hobbs & Shaw drops tomorrow I had to come back to reveal my thoughts, because oh boy do I have them lol. I'm very excited to bring back This Week In Feminism too, because even though I was gone for a few months does not mean I have changed a thing lol. Buckle up, y'all lol.

I also had to come back once I heard them announce 2:22 because, while I have not seen that movie so I'm sure it is terrible, Michiel Huisman is my fucking man, y'all. Ever since I saw him on Orphan Black I have been in love with him, and he is a much better actor than I'm sure they will talk about so no matter what I have to defend this stupid movie. Go watch Hill House cause that is a much better representation of his skills lmao. But he's so hot y'all. He's just so hot.

giphy.gif

THE QUEEN RETURNS!!!!!!

May I be the first to welcome you back and offer you my still beating heart?

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
23 hours ago, Elektra Boogaloo said:

Nicole Byer and Sasheer Zamata's podcast had June and Casey on this week (still waiting for the ep with Paul and Jason) and it is very good and I highly recommend. You get to hear more about June's clowning.

And about the greatest gift Casey ever got her! 

Hint it involves a pizza but no music in the harsh Sunday light of day.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
47 minutes ago, gigi-tastic said:

And about the greatest gift Casey ever got her! 

Hint it involves a pizza but no music in the harsh Sunday light of day.

Don't forget about the coffee pot. That sounds life changing.

Also it was good timing of this episode so we know Casey and June are still friends even after that DROP DEAD FRED record.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Possible explanation for the Bruce Willis story!

So in this week's Unspooled episode for The Maltese Falcon, Paul is talking about how they had numbers they'd cite for certain scenes they wanted. A number 5 was an explosive shouting match. Maybe that was the number 5 that was alluded to?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×