🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 220 - Hobbs & Shaw: LIVE! (w/ Adam Scott, Nicole Byer)

1 hour ago, theworstbuddhist said:

I saw H&S last week and my main takeaway (my wife fervently agrees) is that we want the next spinoff to be about the group of lady thieves.

Yes this. I wanted more Helen Mirren. I want the next one to be Helen Mirren and Vanessa Kirby training the Rock's daughter to like kick ass, possibly because Hobbs and Shaw were kidnapped? I am spitballing here. But I know Helen Mirren can beat the shit out of people; I have seen Red. (Her and Brian Cox are the best part. Bruce Willis is useless.)

@taylorannephoto and @tomspanks and I are going to have a spinoff called How Did This Get Made Up. (Also for the record I always refused to use Kat Von D's eyeliner because I disliked her and now I feel vindicated. I just got a Maybelline gel eyeliner that is supposed to be real good. Will keep you posted.)

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Elektra Boogaloo said:

@taylorannephoto and @tomspanks and I are going to have a spinoff called How Did This Get Made Up. (Also for the record I always refused to use Kat Von D's eyeliner because I disliked her and now I feel vindicated. I just got a Maybelline gel eyeliner that is supposed to be real good. Will keep you posted.)

I'm currently using Nyx's liquid liner and it's A+++!

Also, I heard on Natch Beaut someone say that Tom Ford's liner is actually supposed to be like the new KVD because everyone is looking for that same quality without all the terribleness.

• Like 3

I have a theory as to who "The Voice" is. 

It's Gina Carano.

She was Hobb's partner in Fast 6, hence the "Reunion"
She was Owen Shaw's girlfriend, so she knows Deckard Shaw
She was supposedly "killed", but, considering this is Fast and Furious, that doesn't mean a fucking thing, she's another "Super Soldier" that Eteon could bring back to life

More importantly, I just really fucking like Gina Carano.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Smigg. said:

Speaking of Owen Shaw - I feel like this franchise forgot that he existed. All those flashbacks and the way that Helen Mirren talks it's just always been Deckard and Hattie, but legit Owen Shaw was a character, and isn't that who actually killed Han? Or am I not remembering this whole story line properly?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, taylorannephoto said:

Speaking of Owen Shaw - I feel like this franchise forgot that he existed. All those flashbacks and the way that Helen Mirren talks it's just always been Deckard and Hattie, but legit Owen Shaw was a character, and isn't that who actually killed Han? Or am I not remembering this whole story line properly?

Deckard killed Han in the post-credits scene of Fast 6, tying him to the scene in Tokyo Drift.  He then got out of the car saying "Dominic Toretto, we're gonna meet very soon"

Then, in Samoa, he implied that he feels guilty for killing Han.

• Like 1

Just now, Smigg. said:

Deckard killed Han in the post-credits scene of Fast 6, tying him to the scene in Tokyo Drift.  He then got out of the car saying "Dominic Toretto, we're gonna meet very soon"

Then, in Samoa, he implied that he feels guilty for killing Han.

Oh right yes okay, cause that was like a revenge killing for them killing Owen, right? For some reason I replaced Deckard with Owen in my memory but you typing out the line brought it back.

11 minutes ago, Smigg. said:

It's Gina Carano.

She was supposedly "killed", but, considering this is Fast and Furious, that doesn't mean a fucking thing, and is another "Super Soldier" that Eteon could bring back to life

That would be awesome. I love her too but mainly for the Soderbergh movie she made.

Just now, taylorannephoto said:

Oh right yes okay, cause that was like a revenge killing for them killing Owen, right? For some reason I replaced Deckard with Owen in my memory but you typing out the line brought it back.

Yeah, but as it turns out, Owen's not actually dead, he was in a comatose state, because that was the insentive for Deckard joining the team.

As a lifelong Mortal Kombat fan, and that convoluted-ass storyline they have going on, I'm looking at this thinking "What the fuck is happening here".  People dying, but really they're not, bad guys becoming good guys, good guys becoming bad guys, and people parachuted in cars.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, theworstbuddhist said:

That would be awesome. I love her too but mainly for the Soderbergh movie she made.

Yeah, as a longtime MMA fan, she was a really good fighter, then the mainstream sports places noticed her, basically "Look at this hot MMA fighter", I knew "Yeah, we're gonna lose her now", especially after the Cris Cyborg fight.

There's a really cheap indie film she did called "Daughter of the Wolf" with Richard Dreyfuss, just shows that she's really coming into her own as a legit on-screen bad ass.

57 minutes ago, taylorannephoto said:

Oh I wrote this in my notes, that shouldn't he be in the flashbacks of pretend heists. But I think the movie decided it was easier to forget he exists.

But to Paul's question regarding the odd ages of the Shaw kids (going by the ages of the actors playing them), Deckard is 52, Owen is 40--so there were twelve years where Deckard got to be the apple of Helen Mirren's eye. I bet he was annoyed when Owen showed up. Hattie is 31.

I know the kids in the flashbacks were meant to be Hattie and Deckard, but it would make more sense if they were Hattie and Owen.

• Like 1

Okay how about this.

Instead of "The Voice" being an actual person, what if it's God's Eye becoming all "Skynet" and becoming a sentient being, allowing it to not only create cybernetic people (like Idris Elba), but control any screen in existence?

Maybe that's why the World's News all appeared in Piccadilly Circus, they're not the actual newsreaders, they're God'SkEyenet created cyborg newsreaders.  Because Idris Elba crafted the narrative for these newsreaders to regurgitate whatever they were told, and because God'SkEyenet can take over any screen it sees fit, here's all of the world's news with this breaking story, all at the same time, from all over the world.

Now we know how the saga is going to end:

Vin Diesel is gonna drive a car at The Rock, The Rock is gonna lift the road up in front of him creating a ramp, Vin hits the NOS, and goes flying towards the central hub of God'SkyEyenet.  Then, he slams on the brakes, stopping the car in mid-air.  Vin goes flying through the windshield with his fist balled up, screaming "FAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY" and punches God'SkyEyenet in the proverbial dick, causing it to explode.  Then, we have what's basically the Fast & Furious equivalent to the Iron Man funeral (spoiler alert).  Everyone's crying, they're upset, and then you hear...

..."You guys owe me a Corona for this!"

He's still alive!  As it turns out, the funeral was for Kurt Russell, the car landed on him when Vin Diesel flew out the windshield.

• Like 1

Out of curiosity I was looking at the differences between HDTGM film release dates and the dates that their corresponding episodes are posted, just to see what the "most recent HDTGM movie" has been over time. H&S is just barely in the top 10, at 13 days post-release date. Not too surprisingly all three Sharknado films are in the top 5 (for example, Sharknado 2 was officially released July 30, 2014 and the episode is dated August 1) and the remaining 2 are Nic Cage films that were covered very early: Season of the Witch and Drive Angry.

This data will of course eventually go into the info site, which is gradually gathering more and more meaningless pieces of info to help you all settle bar bets between HDTGM fans.

• Like 2

During the show someone in the audience asked about the similarities between this film and Tango and Cash. For me, I thought it was more similar to Return of the Jedi:

1. Good guys are an incesty love triangle with a guy, his long lost sister, and a buddy that he starts out not liking but end up bromancing.

2. Bad guy was left for dead, picked up by the really bad guy and built into a half-man, half-machine terminator dressed in black. Reports to some god-like entity, but is the clear number two guy.

3. Final battle has good guys luring bad guys into a battle against locals that use primitive weapons and knowledge of local landscape to defeat an army with much superior firepower. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Elektra Boogaloo said:

Yes this. I wanted more Helen Mirren. I want the next one to be Helen Mirren and Vanessa Kirby training the Rock's daughter to like kick ass, possibly because Hobbs and Shaw were kidnapped? I am spitballing here. But I know Helen Mirren can beat the shit out of people; I have seen Red. (Her and Brian Cox are the best part. Bruce Willis is useless.)

I cannot make up because I'm a possum impersonating a  human woman but I love make up and other people's abilities to use it. I'm very much on board for a How Did This Get Made Up segment on Wig Talk

• Like 6

holy shit! just got out of this and now about to listen to ep. I know Paul marked the f out during this movie. 

So many great GOT/WWE references

1. GOT - Arya dagger/NK- shaw does it w/champagne bottle

2. Lannister pays/knows nothing

3. "shock the system" (ADAM COLE BAY BAY!)

4. USO (so good!)

5. Numbers don't lie (BIG POPPA PUMP)

and the best one of all (that I called too)

6. ROMAN FUCKING REIGNS WITH THE SPEAR AND HOOOOAHHHHHHHH

I enjoyed the shit out of this movie. so great. also Rock did his trademark stuff

note: got 5 mins into ep this morn, turned it off, and bought a ticket to movie. had to watch before i listened

edit: also random, Rock's brother, Jonah, was the main Mexican bad guy in Training Day--the one that called his niece and ended up sparing Ethan

edit 2: yes. Italian Job. I wrote that down while watching, but I forgot that JS was in the movie and second-guessed myself

3 hours ago, gigi-tastic said:

I cannot make up because I'm a possum impersonating a  human woman but I love make up and other people's abilities to use it. I'm very much on board for a How Did This Get Made Up segment on Wig Talk

Too bad you weren’t born a raccoon with naturally fabulous smokey eyes.

@Elektra Boogaloo @taylorannephoto speaking of raccoon eyes...

so I use the Marc Jacobs gel crayon eyeliner for my waterline and it does not budge. Ever. It will never melt off your face. Highly recommended if you need a stick eyeliner. 

I still need to find a liquid pen.  So far I’ve tried the Elf, Sephora, and Marc Jacobs, but they don’t compare to kvd’s opacity, matte, or smudge-proof features.  And none of them had the same kvd brush tip. My friend said Fenty wasn’t matte enough, but said the Clinique one was working out for her. So I might give that a go next time because I really don’t wanna shell out the $ for a Tom Ford 💸

• Like 7

13 hours ago, Smigg. said:

When The Rock did the double shot of Tequila and had it go down his chin, I'm pretty sure that was a nod to The Rock's long time friend, "Stone Cold" Steve Austin.  Whose gimmick was to grab a bunch of beers and drink them after the match.

One of a whole punch of WWE references in this movie, which is to be expected with The Rock, even going as far as casting his cousin, Roman Reigns, who was basically there to do a bunch of his moves in the Samoan fight scene.

Speaking of Roman, one thing that wasn't brought up on the podcast is that he filmed his scenes in the move, while he was going through a battle with leukemia.  Dude was running round spearing motherfuckers, and driving around in high-powered trucks, while he was getting treatment for leukemia!

what up Uce!  you know what's up. #ROMANWINSLOL

11 hours ago, Elektra Boogaloo said:

- The gang seemed confused about the virus and how it worked. I will take a guess. My understanding of it was that three capsules of the virus were inserted into her bloodstream, and after a certain amount of time they would release the virus. I don't think she should have been getting sicker, because if the virus was in her bloodstream at all, then she would die, I think. (And I was glad about that because I thought they were going to make her sick as a way to make her a damsel in distress.) As to who they they think would survive the virus, this is very rudimentary survival of the fittest nonsense. Even if the entire world is exposed, there will be a small percentage of humanity with natural immunity or who somehow survive the initial illness. (Some diseases have been said to kill up to 90% of a given population historically, but that's the highest I know of? Virulogists feel free to chime in. For reference, the "Black Death" killed about 30-60% of the population of Europe and Asia.)

--

So what I saw about Snowflake was that it was a codeable/modifiable virus that had been developed for the cult under the doctor's belief that it was actually going to be a cure-all for various illnesses, but instead was made into an uber bioweapon. The ticking clock with it being in Kirby's arm is twofold in that not only would it kill her, but it's in its base form meaning that it's transmittable and deadly to everybody rather than whoever was selected by Eteon. This is a topic that was actually discussed in great detail in the amazing comic series Think Tank by Matt Hawkins, which based it off actual real world research by brain trusts and government contracts from around the world about being able to launch a suppressant/contaminant  in a mass populated area and have it only affect people with certain genetic markers. It's pretty scary stuff considering it's an actual possibility of a weapon like this being made.

11 hours ago, taylorannephoto said:

This is truly a thing that bothers me in ALL media! Every time a wig gets snatched or a super hero takes off their mask (looking at you The Flash & Arrow) someone's makeup magically changes! And truly I wish we had gotten a full getting ready in her disguise montage instead of her walking into the hotel room and then she's just ready in the next shot.

This is what I loved so much about the original Kick-Ass movie in how it had the characters show both putting on the eye-black for their masks or if they removed the masks that same makeup would be smeared all to hell because of them sweating from fighting and running around.

9 hours ago, Elektra Boogaloo said:

I love how she's throwing herself into this role, which is basically her character from RED if she was just a complete criminal instead of an assassin. I did look at my phone during the start of the credits though, so did they show who the family looked at when they asked someone "how long they've been working at the prison" like Mirren had an inside man?

9 hours ago, Smigg. said:

It's Gina Carano.

She was supposedly "killed", but, considering this is Fast and Furious, that doesn't mean a fucking thing, she's another "Super Soldier" that Eteon could bring back to life

Right now that makes equal sense with it being Hobb's father, who if it is that, I can't imagine who they would cast to be the Rock's dad unless they are finally able to get Denzel Washington like they've been trying or a random one like Morgan Freeman. I've also read theories that it could be Kurt Russell's character playing both sides or Han who has been working in the shadows since the landing strip in FF6.

Here are my thoughts on the episode now from my scribbled notes while listening at work.

So what I could see in regards to how soldiers got their upgrades was based on I presume their rank, with Elba being the clear General with all of the upgrades that he's had and mentioning to his direct squad having some boosts as well.

Han is a cold blooded murderer even before FF as he helped some friends murder a classmate in Better Luck Tomorrow, which Justin Lin confirmed the character is the same in both films, so he's not a completely innocent victim of Shaw's revenge.

I was amazed at the number of dick kicks/punches in this film and how hard they were sold, though I imagine getting kicked in the dick by the Rock's tree trunk of a leg would just lead to instant murder. I also loved that the film answered my biggest question from the trailer in that why didn't Elba's men just mow down the Samoans who only had clubs and spears, instead deciding to fist fight them. By having their guns recognition chips get hacked it worked so well because it was plausible and grounded, while if this had been a FF movie it would have been Vin Diesel just calling the bad guys pussies and that caused them to drop their weapons and put up their dukes.

Lastly, I think having seen this entire series so far, I can honestly say the trajectories that these characters follow means that this whole series is a Jacob's Ladder Scenario, started when Dom crashes his dad's car into a truck at the end of FF1. He imagines the undercover cop who ruins his hijacking operation letting him escape, reuniting with his crew to pull off a giant job in Brazil turning them all into multimillionaires, again being let go by the cop chasing after them, to eventually becoming the leader of the go-to special ops team that is sent to battle terrorists of all kinds and traveling the world and getting garages filled with amazing cars, not to mention his now apparent superhuman abilities that each of them all contain. If the tenth movie ends with him driving off in the sunset with Letty and his kid, only for it to cut back to is flipped over car in 2001 with his sister crying with Brian as the jaws of life are being used to pry open the car to remove his corpse, I will lose my mind in the theater.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Smigg. said:

Yeah, as a longtime MMA fan, she was a really good fighter, then the mainstream sports places noticed her, basically "Look at this hot MMA fighter", I knew "Yeah, we're gonna lose her now", especially after the Cris Cyborg fight.

There's a really cheap indie film she did called "Daughter of the Wolf" with Richard Dreyfuss, just shows that she's really coming into her own as a legit on-screen bad ass.

she was the first Ronda Rousey, but she's actually doing better in Hollywood

also, topical to this episode, she was the villain in Deadpool (with Ryan Reynolds)

nobody here is talking about the GOT/Wrestling references. It makes me sad. Other than this podcast, the wrestling drew me in, but they didn't stop talking about GOT...and I'm glad they shitted on D&D

There's another classic wrestling reference.

The Rock talked about taking something, shining it up real nice, turn that sumbitch sideways.  Although, he didn't end it with "And stick it straight up, your candy ass".

6 hours ago, RyanSz said:

Han is a cold blooded murderer even before FF as he helped some friends murder a classmate in Better Luck Tomorrow, which Justin Lin confirmed the character is the same in both films, so he's not a completely innocent victim of Shaw's revenge.

This blew my mind.

23 hours ago, Cam Bert said:

Superman is much better. James Bond does not stop bullets with his hand... not yet anyway. Q get to work!

I haven't read the whole thread yet, so forgive me if this is repeating, but I thought that with all his tech and gadgets, particularly that motorcycle, "Black Batman" would have been more apropos. But I'll take superman. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, gigi-tastic said:

I also love makeup from afar as opposed to on my face. I'm in for this segment. 

• Like 3

So my theory is the voice is going to turn out to be John Cena who we know is going to be in Fast and Furious 9, my crazy theory is Hobbs dad is going to turn out to be Nic Cage, and my correction is that there 4 bald people in these movies with Diesel,  the Rock, Statham and  Tyrese Gibson

• Like 1