Jump to content
JulyDiaz

Episode 220 - Hobbs & Shaw: LIVE! (w/ Adam Scott, Nicole Byer)

Recommended Posts

HDTGM All-stars Adam Scott (R U Talkin’ R.E.M. RE: ME?) and Nicole Byer (Best Friends h.earwolf.com/bestfriends) join Paul and Jason to discuss The Fast and the Furious spin-off Hobbs & Shaw starring Dwayne Johnson and Jason Statham. Recorded live at Largo at the Coronet in Los Angeles, they talk about the sentient motorcycles, Samoan warfare, The Rock holding onto a helicopter, the fist bump montage, and more.

Subscribe to Unspooled with Paul Scheer and Amy Nicholson here: http://www.earwolf.com/show/unspooled/

Check out our tour dates over at www.hdtgminfo.com!

Check out new HDTGM merch over at https://www.teepubli…wdidthisgetmade

Where to Find Jason, June & Paul:

@PaulScheer on Instagram & Twitter

@Junediane on IG and @MsJuneDiane on Twitter

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I love this show but I don’t understand why they would ever discuss a successful blockbuster movie ...   ?

Share this post


Link to post

Also, if they ever do “13 Ghosts” with Tony Shalhoub I will never complain about anything ever again. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Paul

Paul!

PAUL!

Love yourself enough to hope for more than to get things  out of a hamper. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I'm fighting a weeklong migraine and misunderstood who Vanessa Kirby is. For some reason ( meds. Full on hardcore meds) I thought they were talking about Vanessa BAYER from SNL.

Vanessa Kirby:

intro-1540929823.jpg

Vanessa Byer: Vanessa-Bayer-640x389.jpg

Two VERY different women. I'm not going to lie though I loved the idea of Hobbs and Shaw with Vanessa Bayer more .

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

So I haven't had a chance to see the movie yet. I know they go to Samoa but are they going to the country Samoa or the American Samoa territory? 

Fun facts the country of Samoa has no military and should they need an army relies on New Zealand's military.  

Ironically the American Samoa territory has the largest U.S military enlistment than any other state or territory. However citizens of America Samoa cannot vote for President, and are not considered nationalized citizens at birth. It's truly fucked up.

 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

I am 99.6% sure that the Voice, the bad guys disembodied voice that we hear throughout the movie, is Ryan Reynolds.  It may not be the same character as he plays in the rest of the movie, but listen to his voice especially in the last scene as he teases the next movie.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

It's time for... How Did This Get Named?

So as some of you might be aware and I mentioned last time they did one of these movies the franchise in Japan is not called Fast & Furious. Rather it is called "Wild Speed" which, if I have to take a side, is a better name. So as the series went on  they just attached the 2 and Tokyo Drifter to the movies. Easy peasy. However the Fast movies are always clever with their titles and that kind of clever doesn't translate when the name has already been changed. So Fast & Furious the forth became Wild Speed Max. This was followed by Mega Max, Euro Mission, Sky Mission, and the latest being Wild Speed Ice Break. Now Hobbs and Shaw is coming out so what to do about the name? Well throw the Wild Speed in there so they know it's part of the franchise but people might not know who Hobbs and Shaw are. You are taking two unlikely people and putting them together. It's like surf and turf so some other unlikely... I got it! We shall call the movie...

o8IYyY5h.jpg

Wild Speed Super Combo!

So actually I went to a special midnight screening of the movie. In Japan for big movies usually on opening night you get little bits and bobs. For example I got a poster for Rogue One, a Hulk weeble for Endgame, and a Deadpool key chain for Deadpool. My present for attending the midnight screening of the show was this shiny massive sticker. It's exclusive to the Kansai area as well so suck it Tokyo! Here's the thing, I don't really have anywhere to put it but it is a collectors item. However, if Tall John or Jason would like to give this sticker a loving home I'd be more than willing to send it their way.

  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, gigi-tastic said:

So I haven't had a chance to see the movie yet. I know they go to Samo but are they going to the country Samo or the American Samoa territory? 

Fun facts the country of Samo has no military and should they need an army relies on New Zealand's military.  

Ironically the American Samoa territory has the largest U.S military enlistment than any other state or territory. However citizens of America Samoa cannot vote for President, and are not considered nationalized citizens at birth. It's truly fucked up.

 

Radiolab did an entire episode of this.

https://www.wnycstudios.org/story/americanish

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

When The Rock did the double shot of Tequila and had it go down his chin, I'm pretty sure that was a nod to The Rock's long time friend, "Stone Cold" Steve Austin.  Whose gimmick was to grab a bunch of beers and drink them after the match.

 

 

One of a whole punch of WWE references in this movie, which is to be expected with The Rock, even going as far as casting his cousin, Roman Reigns, who was basically there to do a bunch of his moves in the Samoan fight scene.

Speaking of Roman, one thing that wasn't brought up on the podcast is that he filmed his scenes in the move, while he was going through a battle with leukemia.  Dude was running round spearing motherfuckers, and driving around in high-powered trucks, while he was getting treatment for leukemia!

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Cam Bert said:

It's time for... How Did This Get Named?

So as some of you might be aware and I mentioned last time they did one of these movies the franchise in Japan is not called Fast & Furious. Rather it is called "Wild Speed" which, if I have to take a side, is a better name. So as the series went on  they just attached the 2 and Tokyo Drifter to the movies. Easy peasy. However the Fast movies are always clever with their titles and that kind of clever doesn't translate when the name has already been changed. So Fast & Furious the forth became Wild Speed Max. This was followed by Mega Max, Euro Mission, Sky Mission, and the latest being Wild Speed Ice Break. Now Hobbs and Shaw is coming out so what to do about the name? Well throw the Wild Speed in there so they know it's part of the franchise but people might not know who Hobbs and Shaw are. You are taking two unlikely people and putting them together. It's like surf and turf so some other unlikely... I got it! We shall call the movie...

o8IYyY5h.jpg

Wild Speed Super Combo!

So actually I went to a special midnight screening of the movie. In Japan for big movies usually on opening night you get little bits and bobs. For example I got a poster for Rogue One, a Hulk weeble for Endgame, and a Deadpool key chain for Deadpool. My present for attending the midnight screening of the show was this shiny massive sticker. It's exclusive to the Kansai area as well so suck it Tokyo! Here's the thing, I don't really have anywhere to put it but it is a collectors item. However, if Tall John or Jason would like to give this sticker a loving home I'd be more than willing to send it their way.

I love this series of information you do. I kind of wish the Japanese name for the 4th one was confusing like it is in English where they just removed "the" from the title. If three Japanese title were The Wild Speed (if Japanese even works this way) just for the fourth, I'd be excited.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Baron said:

I am 99.6% sure that the Voice, the bad guys disembodied voice that we hear throughout the movie, is Ryan Reynolds.  It may not be the same character as he plays in the rest of the movie, but listen to his voice especially in the last scene as he teases the next movie.  

I feel like that would be too easy. My theory is that it's "Mr. Nobody", Kurt Russell's character. Or maybe Adam Scott.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Episode stats: H&S is in the top 5 most expensive HDTGM films, along with Spiderman 3, The Fate of the Furious, Green Lantern, and Furious 7. Jason Statham now has been in 9 HDTGM films, in second place behind voiceover master Frank Welker. H&S is the second film of 2019 to be covered; the other one is of course Serenity, everybody's new favorite video game movie.

Guest host Adam Scott has been in 8 HDTGM episodes (Fast Five, F&F 6, Glitter, Furious 7, xXx: Return of Xander Cage, Fate of the Furious, The Meg, and H&S) placing him in a tie for first place with Jessica St. Clair for most number of episodes. JSC goes to first place if you count Valerian, the Stitcher-only episode, but I go by the Earwolf list which doesn't list it.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

Idris Elba wasn't orginally going to call himself "Black Superman", the line was actually "I'm Black James Bond",   However, Elba felt the "Black James Bond" was stoking something that was already being talked about, and it didn't need anymore fuel thrown on top of it.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
41 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

I love this series of information you do. I kind of wish the Japanese name for the 4th one was confusing like it is in English where they just removed "the" from the title. If three Japanese title were The Wild Speed (if Japanese even works this way) just for the fourth, I'd be excited.

Sadly Japanese doesn't work that way, but their weird katakana English does so they could have done ザ・ワイルド・スピード  "The Wild Speed".

I just like the idea that it's one guy that's slowly giving up. "What are we going to do? They can't be that many more of these right so this is the MAX. Wait there is another? Surely this is the last MEGA MAX! What? Another? Fuck. They're going to Europe in it? Okay like Tokyo Drift this one can be EUROPE MISSION! Another? For Pete's sake. The big scene is jumping out of a plane? SKY MISSION! ANOTHER?!?! For the love of... where is that trailer... look a sub in ice... ICE BREAK! Fuck it, I'm going home now!"

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
23 minutes ago, Smigg. said:

Idris Elba wasn't orginally going to call himself "Black Superman", the line was actually "I'm Black James Bond",   However, Elba felt the "Black James Bond" was stoking something that was already being talked about, and it didn't need anymore fuel thrown on top of it.

Superman is much better. James Bond does not stop bullets with his hand... not yet anyway. Q get to work!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

This is going to be a long post and I apologize. I actually stayed up to listen to the episode when it dropped last night and I took notes on the podcast, which I have never done before so I wouldn't forget. Will try to bullet point it.

-- I am very glad Nicole was there to bring up Vanessa Kirby's eyeliner because it bugged me the ENTIRE movie. Now I've only recently gotten into makeup tutorials on YouTube (if you have free time check out the drama around Jacyln Hill's lipstick line launch. It's wild.)  I cannot do a winged eyeliner to save my life; they always come off. So I was impressed that the eyeliner stayed on for THREE FUCKING DAYS. But what amused me the most was that she did put on more makeup in the brief scene where she had the wig on, and she had bright red lips. But that look all comes off... when the Rock snatches her wig off? Again, not a makeup expert, but I am pretty sure that's not how it works.

-- The gang seemed confused about the virus and how it worked. I will take a guess. My understanding of it was that three capsules of the virus were inserted into her bloodstream, and after a certain amount of time they would release the virus. I don't think she should have been getting sicker, because if the virus was in her bloodstream at all, then she would die, I think. (And I was glad about that because I thought they were going to make her sick as a way to make her a damsel in distress.) As to who they they think would survive the virus, this is very rudimentary survival of the fittest nonsense. Even if the entire world is exposed, there will be a small percentage of humanity with natural immunity or who somehow survive the initial illness. (Some diseases have been said to kill up to 90% of a given population historically, but that's the highest I know of? Virulogists feel free to chime in. For reference, the "Black Death" killed about 30-60% of the population of Europe and Asia.)

-- I did have a quibble with this movie and this is that I thought it went too long and should've ended in Ukraine.

-- Did anyone else think the Rock holding the chain to the helicopter was an answer to Chris Evans flexing on the helicopter in CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR? He was like, "I'm going to do that but I'm going to be on a car and there are going to be more people in the helicopter because I am stronger than Captain America."

-- I was very excited to hear Tim ask a question, he hasn't been there in awhile and I was worried about him. So, yes Jason, he does get to ask as many questions as he wants. Show some respect. He's a recurring guest star.

--Also, of course Helen Mirren fucks when she's older and could be Vanessa Kirby and Jason Statham's mom. Helen is hot. She could still get it.

8 hours ago, gigi-tastic said:

So I haven't had a chance to see the movie yet. I know they go to Samo but are they going to the country Samo or the American Samoa territory? 

Fun facts the country of Samo has no military and should they need an army relies on New Zealand's military.  

Ironically the American Samoa territory has the largest U.S military enlistment than any other state or territory. However citizens of America Samoa cannot vote for President, and are not considered nationalized citizens at birth. It's truly fucked up.

 

The title card just said "Samoa". It was shot in Hawaii though so it is neither.

5 hours ago, Baron said:

I am 99.6% sure that the Voice, the bad guys disembodied voice that we hear throughout the movie, is Ryan Reynolds.  It may not be the same character as he plays in the rest of the movie, but listen to his voice especially in the last scene as he teases the next movie.  

I thought this too! But what I read is that they wanted the end credit reveal to be that it was Keanu Reeves (as sort of mentioned in the episode) but the scheduling did not work out. I assumed they had to add that other post credits scene with Reynolds because of this, which is why it doesn't really connect that well. But I think it still COULD be Keanu in the next film, right?

And, since Reynolds is basically playing Deadpool (the director David Lietch directed DEADPOOL 2) does that mean Keanu will basically be playing John Wick. If so, does Tick Tock Man have any cybernetic enhancements?

I know there is something else I forget.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, Elektra Boogaloo said:

- I am very glad Nicole was there to bring up Vanessa Kirby's eyeliner because it bugged me the ENTIRE movie. Now I've only recently gotten into makeup tutorials on YouTube (if you have free time check out the drama around Jacyln Hill's lipstick line launch. It's wild.)  I cannot do a winged eyeliner to save my life; they always come off. So I was impressed that the eyeliner stayed on for THREE FUCKING DAYS. But what amused me the most was that she did put on more makeup in the brief scene where she had the wig on, and she had bright red lips. But that look all comes off... when the Rock snatches her wig off? Again, not a makeup expert, but I am pretty sure that's not how it works.

This is truly a thing that bothers me in ALL media! Every time a wig gets snatched or a super hero takes off their mask (looking at you The Flash & Arrow) someone's makeup magically changes! And truly I wish we had gotten a full getting ready in her disguise montage instead of her walking into the hotel room and then she's just ready in the next shot.

However I will say if you wear Kat Von Dee's eyeliner (I mean don't now because she's revealed herself to be an anti-vaxxing racist) that shit legit does stay on for forever. But that doesn't explain the rest of her makeup because she's very obviously got on mascara and eyeshadow and there's nothing in those worlds that won't smudge after three days.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

I saw H&S last week and my main takeaway (my wife fervently agrees) is that we want the next spinoff to be about the group of lady thieves.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, taylorannephoto said:

However I will say if you wear Kat Von Dee's eyeliner (I mean don't now because she's revealed herself to be an anti-vaxxing racist) that shit legit does stay on for forever. But that doesn't explain the rest of her makeup because she's very obviously got on mascara and eyeshadow and there's nothing in those worlds that won't smudge after three days.

Ok, I was just about to respond to Elektra to say KvD's tattoo liner was my go-to.  That stuff would stay on even when my face was sweating waterfalls.  However, I stopped supporting that brand due to the above reasons.

@Elektra Boogaloo the JH lipstick under a microscope:

SUVZOG6m.png

  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Cam Bert said:

Superman is much better. James Bond does not stop bullets with his hand... not yet anyway. Q get to work!

Yeah, "Black James Bond" makes fuck all sense in the context of the character.  Somebody who was killed, only to be brought back to life with cybernetic enhancements... I'M BLACK MR. BEAN! would have made just as much sense as "Black James Bond".

He could have just as easily said "I'm the Black Terminator", although, that does then conjour up comparisons with OJ Simpson, the original choice to play The Terminator, who lost out on the role because "He's just too nice, nobody would have believed he could kill anybody".

He's basically RoboCop.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

At the risk of upsetting Tyrese Gibson, I wouldn't mind if they sacked off the rest of the Fast/Furious movies, and just stuck with Hobbs & Shaw.  I'd watch 2 hours of The Rock and Jason Statham trying to play FIFA and talking shit to each other.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

I'm worried that Paul doesn't understand how chests are actually measured. He mentions that the McLaren is generously 80 inches wide, measuring from one end of the interior to the other, and that The Rock is about 50 inches while Statham is 41 inches, but I'm very worried that they do not know when you are measuring your chest you measure around your body. It's the circumference that gives you that number. There's no way that those measurements make sense if you are measuring their chests from arm pit to arm pit alone. That would mean that The Rock's width from arm pit to arm pit would be over 4 feet long. That's literally not possible, y'all. Any woman getting measured for a bra knows this lol.

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post

We should also bring up the reunion of an iconic cinematic team

It was nice to see Deadpool and Peter together again.
 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×