đź”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Ă—

Finally, a horror movie from 1996 that feels like it came from 1984 and has something for everybody!

From Eric Red (writer/co-writer of The Hitcher and Near Dark) comes...

A film in which sex, bad special effects and gory death all occur in the first 5 minutes!

A startling transition to a bucolic setting that has nothing to do with the first minutes! 

Mariel Hemingway playing a surprisingly feminist (for a film of this quality), well-rounded character!

The best performance by a German Shepherd ever (he could be a good basis for another Monkey Shines debate on animal acting). His character’s name is Thor! He is the hero of the story!

Michael Pare IS Mariel Hemingway’s brother who MAY BE a werewolf!

Scenes that go on for a beat or 5 too long!

Scenes that abruptly transition to the dog and the werewolf’s POV!

Scenes in which characters (looking at you, guy in the forest who measures trees at night in the woods and ignores obvious signs of danger THREE TIMES IN A ROW, before getting wolf drool that looks like jizz dropped on him before being spectacularly murdered!) do STUPID, STUPID things!

A movie that feels padded at 78 MINUTES!!!

Here’s the trailer!

Oh, and did I mention that the special effects look bad? Because they do not look good!

Available for streaming on Shudder!

Truly, this should be a Halloween classic, right up there with It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown! And Pumpkinhead!

Would also make an excellent double feature with Silver Bullet (1985).

Love the trailer tag line, too: “It doesn’t have to be Halloween to be THIS scary.” Not 100 % sure if they’re referring to the holiday or the John Carpenter film.

• Like 1

I will add, nothing in this movie is as gruesome as the first 5 minutes. Still gory, sure, stupid, definitely, but comparatively restrained and not nearly as exploitative. So bear in mind that the rest of the film is not at THAT LEVEL.

Also, Mariel Hemingway’s character would pass the Bechdel test with flying colors.

• Like 1

Finally, I’ll quote this from Mariel Hemingway’s Wikipedia page:

“Her highest profile role came with her role in Woody Allen's Manhattan (1979), a romantic comedy in which she plays Tracy, a high school student and Allen's lover. Just 16 during filming (in the film she is said to be 17), she was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress.[citation needed]

In her memoir, Out Came The Sun (2015), Hemingway alleged that Allen attempted to begin a sexual relationship with her shortly after filming was completed, when she had turned 18. Hemingway declined his advances.[3][4][5]”

I mention this because in her first scene in Bad Moon, she has a confrontation with a creepy dude and totally wipes the floor with him. The scene is one of the best in the film (and immediately follows the gory intro). As I was watching it, I enjoyed pretending that the creepy dude was Woody Allen.

• Like 1

Ok, I’ll post two of my favorite scenes from the movie. This is the set-up to where she chews the guy out (unfortunately the clip doesn’t show the whole thing, but she turns the tables on him after this):

And here’s a scene that is a Stupid Horror Movie Victim classic:

• Like 1

Wow, this movie. Hated the werewolf gaslighting another character about the werewolf's werewolfism. Like nah, wolfie, you knew you were a werewolf, you knew you were a danger. Also hated the inept fucking police and the terrible CGI.

LOVED the dog actor. What a good boy (RIP). Would pet, belly rub, and give kisses to.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2019 at 10:39 PM, GrahamS. said:

Finally, a horror movie from 1996 that feels like it came from 1984

But see, I'd argue at least a lot of 80s male werewolves looked hot pre-mid transformation. Not here. Not here. The effects post-transformation were alright, but the use of CGI was a mistake.

I don’t really think werewolves of either gender look hot, so I’ll take your word for it.:) The special effects were trash for the 90s but would not have been great for the 80s. I believe my quote above reflects how this movie whole-heartedly embraces 80s horror tropes in general.YAY!

i thought Michael Pare’s (sorry to be a spoiler but IT’s EXTREMELY  FUCKING OBVIOUS) werewolf was such a moron that it was hilarious. His entire rationale for moving back home was so insanely stupid that it made the movie for me. It was icing on the cake.

surprisingly, I thought the leads did fairly well for this sort of thing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GrahamS. said:

I don’t really think werewolves of either gender look hot, so I’ll take your word for it.:)

I mean not once they're transformed, it's the bit where they're first starting and maybe the eyes are a different color, or the men have scruffier faces (there aren't that many female werewolves on film now that I think about it), the clothing is ripped or coming off. Like that's the good stuff. MP just looked terrible in this movie. Which, maybe that' a good thing, but I didn't like it.

The child actor was pretty good too. It drove me nuts at the beginning when neither of them petted the dog while saying goodnight.

Sign in to follow this