🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 75 Preview (Graham S’s 1st Pick)

Hey guys. Sorry for the delay—I was actually at a HDTGM double feature last night (of Fateful Findings and The Visitor) and it was fucking awesome! The team and the audience brought it. I got some merch. I took the day off and slept in.

Anyway, my choice is Rusty Cundieff’s Fear of a Black Hat (1993). The film is a mockumentary (ala Spinal Tap) about N.W.H., a fictional hardcore rap group. It’s not a film a lot of people have heard of, but I think it’s funny.

The director—Rusty Cundieff—had a supporting part in School Daze and went on to work with Michael Moore on one of his TV shows (TV Nation, maybe?) as well as direct several episodes of Chappelle’s Show. He also directed the Tales from the Hood films and a variety of stand up specials. What I’m trying to say—I guess—is expect something that is not afraid to be crass/provocative/fun!

it is streaming for free on something called tubi. After you watch it, I would suggest checking YouTube for the deleted scenes and videos. It’s also a dvd that’s worth tracking down via library or wherever you get them because it has A LOT of bonus stuff that’s very entertaining.

Hopefully this works for you. I own this film because I bought it from the local video store that went out of business (😞) and at least I enjoy it, but if you’d like something different, I’m happy to oblige.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, GrahamS. said:

Hey guys. Sorry for the delay—I was actually at a HDTGM double feature last night (of Fateful Findings and The Visitor) and it was fucking awesome! The team and the audience brought it. I got some merch. I took the day off and slept in.

Anyway, my choice is Rusty Cundieff’s Fear of a Black Hat (1993). The film is a mockumentary (ala Spinal Tap) about N.W.H., a fictional hardcore rap group. It’s not a film a lot of people have heard of, but I think it’s funny.

The director—Rusty Cundieff—had a supporting part in School Daze and went on to work with Michael Moore on one of his TV shows (TV Nation, maybe?) as well as direct several episodes of Chappelle’s Show. He also directed the Tales from the Hood films and a variety of stand up specials. What I’m trying to say—I guess—is expect something that is not afraid to be crass/provocative/fun!

it is streaming for free on something called tubi. After you watch it, I would suggest checking YouTube for the deleted scenes and videos. It’s also a dvd that’s worth tracking down via library or wherever you get them because it has A LOT of bonus stuff that’s very entertaining.

Hopefully this works for you. I own this film because I bought it from the local video store that went out of business (😞) and at least I enjoy it, but if you’d like something different, I’m happy to oblige.

Oh yes! This was almost my pick last time and it was on my short list for next pick.

It was free on Tubi a couple months ago. I don't know if it still is.

• Like 5

Just checked it. It is! Here’s the preview, where Rusty Cundieff introduces the film. It’s also very funny.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, GrahamS. said:

Just checked it. It is! Here’s the preview, where Rusty Cundieff introduces the film. It’s also very funny.

I guess I could have read your whole comment where you specifically mentioned tubi before commenting. I was just kind of psyched this movie got picked.

• Like 1

Ooooooooh....just rewatching this now and I think it’s great BUT...

i just got to the scene with the flamboyantly gay stereotype. The character is only in a handful of scenes but he is DEFINITELY IN THERE....

Like I said, I think this movie is hilarious, but this is a very 90s element, so wanted to call attention to it. If anyone wants to switch picks because of this, totally down for that.

Let me know what you think!

By the way—you’ll know it when you see it— the character enters the movie around the 19 minute mark. It is a painful scene to watch, but if you want to skip it, it ends at 20:25. It is definitely in poor taste. Apologies!

On the other hand, who CANT love a movie where our protagonist excitedly holds up his Dr. Seuss-style hat and exclaims, “Now see? This is some other shit! This is some Horton Hears a Who!-type shit!”

Alright, last post: I’m halfway through  the film. I won’t spoil anything, I think it is an excellent parody that addresses cultural stuff that’s still relevant now. 

Having said that, there are definite homophobic moments in it. I just want to put this out there as a trigger warning and because I don’t want to be known as the dude who condones this style of humor. It’s a product of its time period and some parts shouldn’t have been there and haven’t aged well. Like hip hop itself—which I am a big fan of—I accept the elements in this film that I don’t like,  in order to enjoy the ones that I very much do.

But on the other hand, why should we be able to look past the racial stereotypes  in John Hughes’ films to enjoy them (and there are a fair amount of stereotypes in them, and i enjoy them as much as anyone else) and not give films like non-Hollywood films such as this the same leeway in terms of stereotypes?

OK, I’m having an argument with myself that no one else is involved in and have talked myself into a corner. 

Time for bed. G’night!

Save your comments until Monday when we start our discussion thread, Graham! We'll be able to participate then when (ideally) more people have seen it.

18 minutes ago, AlmostAGhost said:

Save your comments until Monday when we start our discussion thread, Graham! We'll be able to participate then when (ideally) more people have seen it.

Ok! I just felt bad if I didn’t provide people with a heads up.

I’ll only add that people might want to watch this with closed captions on because the jokes fly by so fast. Ok, now I’ll shut the fuck up until next week.

33 minutes ago, GrahamS. said:

Ok! I just felt bad if I didn’t provide people with a heads up.

Oh no worries then, wasn't trying to quiet you or anything, just wanted to let you know there may be little interaction with an argument/discussion until Monday

• Like 1