🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 85 — Sklarwood Luncheon 2012

Folks, this is one for the books! We have FIVE guests this week from the worlds of comedy, film, television, athletics, and Toshiba. You'll get your weekly dose of Wahlberg before getting to know Graham Elwood who talks to us about performing for the troops and his fantastic podcast Comedy Film Nerds. We talk to a true childhood idol of Dale Murphy who puts us in touch with a Cheap Seats legend, Earl Christensen from the Garvey episode. As if that possibly isn't enough, we close it all up with Jimmy Smits. It's as exciting as a laser pointer in the eye, without all the retina damage!

Is there a youtube link to the "Earl from Toshiba" catching the fish?

I'll be trying to smuggle myself into the show in Austin next Friday!

Graham is fun as always, but so stoked to hear "Sonny and the Sunsets!" "Tomorrow is Alright" is such a perfect record. If you haven't seen his "100 records" Jukebox in person, you need to. Sonny is a genius. He had around 90 artists draw 45" covers from a list of 100 fictional bands that he created, and then you can physically play both songs (A-side, B-side) that he recorded off of each record on the jukebox. Ridiculous.

http://www.sonnysmith.com/?page_id=18

I love how Cheap Seatsy the last two episodes have been. I'm one of the biggest Cheap Seats fans in the world.

Gymkata was my favorite movie during my youth, and taught me to be wary of beckoning priests with suspect robes, old crones screaming out of windows, and towns of crazy people in general.

• Like 1

I almost had to pull over driving my car and listening to the Ivan DeJesus story, I was laughing so hard. I had a friend growing up who insisted his last name was pronounced "Dee-Jesus" and we teased him about it mercilessly

Yes! More weekly Wahlberg!

It was another case of Instant Sklarma!

Where to begin?

Wahlberg phone message only lacked him calling himself Mark "Effing" Walhberg.

Graham Elwood eating the noisiest food ever in the background was so funny. I love knowing the guest is sitting there as the first segment is played out.

The Massachusetts girls' hockey story with the laser-blinded goalie and crazy father is insane on so many levels. Girls' ice hockey? So irresponsible to risk blinding a child over a meaningless game! The sanctioning body is aware of the potential for permanent damage to a student and allows the other team to win?!? I kept picturing the gender-bent "Hanson Sisters" from Slapshot.

But the topper for me was Earl "From Toshiba" Christiansen. You have to dig deep in the Cheap Seats archives for a more obscure reference. (FCU-ICU, anyone?) The multiple hats. The Garvey short shorts-a-lanche. A Ron Masak reference! OMG! I am still laughing.

If the Cheap Seats DVDs never come out, the guys have GOT TO hold a Sklarbro Country Club Cheap Seats Pro-Am Golf-Frisbee-Skiing-Bowling-Corporate Games! Floorwax. Earl. Garvey. Beamy. Petersen. "Chrissy Konamacky". I would pay to see it!

I love Ran and Jay so much and this podcast is so great.

OSBALDISTON to all!!!

Episode proves to me that Sklarbro country isn't just a podcast, IT'S YOUR LIFE

This is a multi-re-listen-to episode. The Jimmy Smits interview was hysterical.. he paid to be in the Phantom Menace.

Great stuff, though after the Ken Burns full-on sidesplitter, I was taken aback by the real Dale Murphy and his eight kids and the 19th hole banter. Two questions:

1. Why is Verne Lundquist actually permitted to be on televesion? I imagine his pre-game research to be looking at "Leave it To Beaver" episodes. Worst announcer, ever?

2. The "Inside the ESPN" book was so good, yet so bad - Sklars were in there, though not for much. Sklarboro should go all hall-of-mirrors and fourth wall and interview the author.

Found the video, reminded me how much I loved the show. Anything the residents of Sklarbro Country can do to help get the Cheap Seats DVD ball rolling?

Part One

Part Two has Earl from Toshiba and the Gavey short shorts.

Sign in to follow this