🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 8 — Gelmania VIII: LIVE!

I Don't Have Time For This.

How To Stay Friends For A Really Long Time - with Kurt Braunohler.

Fuck Me.

Eagleheart Panel - with Jason Woliner and Maria Thayer.

Moobie Boobie Titties.

Food Talk - with Jon Glaser.

Yeah Baby!

Checking In - with Tim Heidecker.

Stephen Hawking is a Biter.

(Recorded Friday the 13th, 2012, at the Bridgetown Comedy Festival in Portland Oregon. The first live Gelmania. No sounds were added in post production.)

Bravo Mr. Gelman, bravo. My IBS thanks you for holding on to this one for awhile!

Gelman breaking while saying/yelling, "And that's what the fuck this is, baby! It's alternative comedy, it's not about the joke!" caught me so off-guard and was so deliciously meta.

IT'S WHAT'S BETWEEN THE JOKES BABY, YEAH!

IT'S ABOUT THE TRUTH BETWEEN THE JOKES BABY, YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH, BABY!

• Like 1

Too afraid to listen yet. May get put under hypnosis tonight and tackle it.

its always a question whether to listen to it stoned the first time or the second time

• Like 1

my favorite thing to do is get stoned an listen to these amazing podcasts its the best especially if your with a couple friends and they start to like podcasts and listen to them because of it..

• Like 1

I often find several elements of Gelmania to be inspired, but the thing that I can never really figure out is how much of the "Brett Gelman persona" is genuine. I mean, here's a guy who comes across as a somewhat deranged borderline personality who is self-aware enough to be able to mine his derangement for a fearless type of comedy, but seems generally unable to rein it in enough to join the ranks of the "normos." This self-presentation is fairly consistent across time and space. Is this a fabricated "character?" A heightened version of reality? A genuine reflection of his true personality? I don't know.

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to wait for the WTF one-on-one interview to find out.

He's just deconstructing societal angst, the idea of articulating societal angst,and deconstructing the idea of deconstructing societal angst, and the idea of deconstructing the idea of deconstructing the articulation of societal angst and then deconstructing it. It's all very meta.

I've found it's much better to listen to this show very late at night, in the dark. You really want to block out any external distractions. Although it didn't matter so much for this one since it doesn't quite have the same atmosphere live. Is there going to be a film version released as well? I'd be happy to pay for it.

I often find several elements of Gelmania to be inspired, but the thing that I can never really figure out is how much of the "Brett Gelman persona" is genuine. I mean, here's a guy who comes across as a somewhat deranged borderline personality who is self-aware enough to be able to mine his derangement for a fearless type of comedy, but seems generally unable to rein it in enough to join the ranks of the "normos." This self-presentation is fairly consistent across time and space. Is this a fabricated "character?" A heightened version of reality? A genuine reflection of his true personality? I don't know.

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to wait for the WTF one-on-one interview to find out.

Well his appearances outside of this show and Comedy Bang Bang suggest to me he's perfectly amiable guy. Seems to have quite a self-deprecating sense of humor, unlike the podcast character who has huge delusions of grandeur, pretty much to the point of having a messiah complex. So I wouldn't say that part is anything like his true personality.

Cyrus deserves more credit than he gets for this show, always really like the production and music, so it was extra impressive hearing that stuff performed live.

• Like 2

Yes! Gelmania's back! And back in a big way, big like a big pair of moobies staring you right in your big face.

Sign in to follow this