25 replies to this topic

#21 Russ Never Sleeps

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:58 PM

View PostSkrilley, on 01 June 2012 - 09:26 AM, said:

None more appearances, please. The first post should be revised to read "Paul F. Tompkins, the suited gentleman you all know and love, has returned"

Yes, there's always plenty of energy with Paul, but it rarely seems genuine. It feels more like refocused contempt for the audience. I'm not a hater, and I don't think I'm projecting here, I just get a vibe from him like he doesn't really enjoy what he's doing. And it was disapoining to see him come up again when there are so many other funny people who have yet to be on, like:

I'm pretty sure you're projecting, although it is entirely possible that you are picking up on Mr. Tompkins' contempt for you specifically, and not for the audience at large.

With regards to your list of "funny people who have yet to be on": probably a third of those on the list are based on a different coast; at least two are based on a different continent; and two are network TV stars -- it should not surprise you when Howard and Kulap are unable to snap their fingers and make them materialize in the Earwolf Studios. Not to mention that everyone on that list is a successful comedy performer and/or writer, and are generally pretty busy performing and/or writing.

Also, one of those "funny people who have yet to be on" has, in fact, been on. I'll leave that one to you to figure out.

#22 Luke HENDERSON!

AKA Luke Henderson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 02 June 2012 - 03:34 AM

Could not agree with Russ Never Sleeps more. If every single show had PFT on every single week, I would listen to them all twice. He is the BEST guest on any podcast and I think Earwolf owes a lot of their success to his semi-constant presence on the network.

In closing, please don't get drunk and fight each other on Earwolf message boards.

#23 NaylorBen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:58 AM

Yes, there's always plenty of energy with Paul, but it rarely seems genuine. It feels more like refocused contempt for the audience. I'm not a hater, and I don't think I'm projecting here, I just get a vibe from him like he doesn't really enjoy what he's doing.

What the fuck are you talking about?

#24 LemonDropKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationNashville

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:47 PM

Paul F. Tompkins having "contempt for the audience" might be the most off-base opinion I've heard this year. He arguably had more enthusiasm for the podcast than either host, going so far as to tell them to not underestimate the joy in what they do. PFT resonates joy in what he does.

#25 Steve Henel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 01:13 PM

I will give PFT a proper nicholas name.

Suit, Suit, Suiteo. WAH OOO!

#26 J.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:22 PM

None more appearances, please. The first post should be revised to read "Paul F. Tompkins, the suited gentleman you all know and love, has returned"

Yes, there's always plenty of energy with Paul, but it rarely seems genuine. It feels more like refocused contempt for the audience. I'm not a hater, and I don't think I'm projecting here, I just get a vibe from him like he doesn't really enjoy what he's doing. And it was disapoining to see him come up again when there are so many other funny people who have yet to be on, like:

Weird Al
Chelsea Peretti
Aziz Ansari
Patton Oswalt
Maria Bamford
Jon Glaser
Morgan Murphy
Kristen Schaal
Joe Mande
Donald Glover
John Mulaney
Kurt Braunohler