Sign in to follow this  
DavidVanLandingham

Comedy Mega-Corporately Sponsored Bang Bang

Wow, I can't believe I just heard a Pepsi add on a Comedy Bang Bang podcast. Is this the future of podcasting? I hope not. Yuck! :( Why does Pepsi have to worm it's infected bloody oraface into every form of media? By the way, I do drink Cherry Pepsi. I just realized that, wow. Who doesn't swallow the the nectar of giant corporate.... See my point, they've got a tight grip on me. But still, this a plea to Earwolf and Bang Bang. Please spare us the corporate monster sponsorship. And my plea to listeners who read this post: Support the podcasts you listen to so they don't have be sold into the proverbial sex-trafficing that is mega-corporate sponsorship.

This message is brought to you by Coca-Cola, Just kidding, by Pepsi.

It just seems weird to have Pepsi provide their own spots, it seems bizarre when there's this network with all of these comedians.. who've built their own thing from scratch by having figured out what people want to listen to... and then they provide these radio spots which just sort of scream of some weird marketing decision by people who either aren't funny or are simply outclassed by the material around it.

It could be worse, I mean, there's a litany of ineffective sales-people/-animals/-things in the world. So at least it's not some kind of talking cowboy glove-gecko with a classy British-Mexican accent being put out there....

There's probably surprisingly little cross-over between talk-radio and podcast listeners... I mean, you can't listen to the radio while listening to podcasts, unless you're really into that shit... that specific shit, specifically.

So the ads just seem out of place or whatever. Most of the ads you hear in podcast-world are live reads. So like, it's not bad or anything, it's just weird that there's this kinda ad you'd expect to hear on a clearchannel station or something in the middle of a show, and then it's not funny, and it's like, just have fucking Aukerman read it and throw in a few little things to humanize the product or whatever and it'd be so much better.

But it's cool they got some more money, I bet they'll start broadcastin this shit in HD soon.

I was REALLY happy when I heard that Pepsi ad. It validates podcasts as a "real" medium - even if just a little bit. We were already hearing ad spots, is it that bad to have Pepsi pay Earwolf for air time on that podcast you are downloading for free? It's exciting.

• Like 4

I was REALLY happy when I heard that Pepsi ad. It validates podcasts as a "real" medium - even if just a little bit. We were already hearing ad spots, is it that bad to have Pepsi pay Earwolf for air time on that podcast you are downloading for free? It's exciting.

Concurred.

It just seems weird to have Pepsi provide their own spots, it seems bizarre when there's this network with all of these comedians.. who've built their own thing from scratch by having figured out what people want to listen to... and then they provide these radio spots which just sort of scream of some weird marketing decision by people who either aren't funny or are simply outclassed by the material around it.

It could be worse, I mean, there's a litany of ineffective sales-people/-animals/-things in the world. So at least it's not some kind of talking cowboy glove-gecko with a classy British-Mexican accent being put out there....

There's probably surprisingly little cross-over between talk-radio and podcast listeners... I mean, you can't listen to the radio while listening to podcasts, unless you're really into that shit... that specific shit, specifically.

So the ads just seem out of place or whatever. Most of the ads you hear in podcast-world are live reads. So like, it's not bad or anything, it's just weird that there's this kinda ad you'd expect to hear on a clearchannel station or something in the middle of a show, and then it's not funny, and it's like, just have fucking Aukerman read it and throw in a few little things to humanize the product or whatever and it'd be so much better.

But it's cool they got some more money, I bet they'll start broadcastin this shit in HD soon.

When you consider how many people can't even give a good reading of the Comedy Bang Bang ads, it's pretty obvious why a major corporation would want their message carefully controlled and not played around with by a group of people particularly known for not taking anything very seriously and not giving a shit about business.

(I don't know why it bugs me so much, but the fact that nobody can properly deliver the tagline "a comedy so nice they banged it twice" really bugs me. Grumble grumble.)

Anyway, I'm glad they have ads, I'll probably try Pepsi Next now, and I'll keep fast forwarding through the commercial now that ive heard it.

Problem solved.

I feel the same feeling that I had after I quit reading Mad Magazine when I was a kid and then when I browsed through one years later, every other page was a serious ad for something. I was all like "BUMMERRRRRRR." I think it blows. I wasn't even happy when the legalzoom ads started. Oh well.

The first time the Pepsi ad played I thought it was a bit to be honest, was definitely surprised.

Ads don't bother me though, the content is free and it's easy to skip them... as long as the sponsors don't try to censor anything... The beauty of podcasting is its freedom of speech and artistic expression.

Still, I think the organic ads just work better. I'm more likely to listen through an ad if it's part of the actual podcast episode and organically different every time.

I was super excited for Earwolf them when I first heard em. Legitimacy! Money!

Immediately threw all of my REGULAR pepsi cans into the fucking garbage and burnt the garbage. But they don't sell Pepsi Next here yet. So it was probably a mistake. But still, no regrets.

• Like 1

No need to worry, Aussie. Just imagine what liquid cancer tastes like. Pepsi Next tastes like that.

• Like 1

They don't sell liquid cancer here either :(

• Like 2

When you consider how many people can't even give a good reading of the Comedy Bang Bang ads, it's pretty obvious why a major corporation would want their message carefully controlled and not played around with by a group of people particularly known for not taking anything very seriously and not giving a shit about business.

(I don't know why it bugs me so much, but the fact that nobody can properly deliver the tagline "a comedy so nice they banged it twice" really bugs me. Grumble grumble.)

Anyway, I'm glad they have ads, I'll probably try Pepsi Next now, and I'll keep fast forwarding through the commercial now that ive heard it.

Problem solved.

i think that's the problem right there.

• Like 2

If it really bothers you that much, fast forward. The truth is the model isn't sustainable if they don't get more ad sales going. If you want this podcast and Earwolf itself to be successful and continue, you'll have to be willing to trust Jeff and Scott. Nothing has changed content wise since the Pepsi ads and to me, that is all that matters.

It amazes me that for years we have been given this free content, with I would guess less than 10% of us actually sending in money to support them, then the moment we hear an ad, we lose our minds.

What petty, gross people we are if we behave like that. If you don't like the ads, email Jeff or Scott, but keep it quiet and act like you want them to be successful.

I just skip them and continue on. I don't drink Pepsi nor have I ever used LegalZoom (I can't since I don't live in the USA) but I understand how the game works and I don't mind. Personally, I do not mind ads all that much in my podcasts (Maron, Nerdist, NNF all have ads in some form or the other) as I'm not paying for them (well NNF I do pay for but there are only occasional ads and they typically done in a joking manner).

I would get annoyed if I payed money for something and do get ads all the time, see the beginning of DVDs for example.

I think it is great that sponsors are putting money towards Earwolf. We are there audience and without money coming in, there will be no longevity. It takes a lot of effort to make these shows happen.

The only thing I don't like is the pre-recorded nature. When you can hear the personalities on podcasts selling the stuff themselves, like Marc Maron or Duncan Trussell does, I can dig it. Sometimes they can make it genuinely entertaining, and it's a part of the show, rather than the exact same prerecorded pepsi spot every earwolf show. It doesn't really bother me, but I'm just saying it's nice to have the personalities on the podcast sell it themselves. (like they do with Bunk or the CBB tv show)

At first, the pepsi ads bothered me, but I mostly want Earwolf to do well and continue, unhindered. I've been listening to Comedy Bang! Bang! since it could shoot rays of funny; songs used to break up the show, and now ads do. I either jump ahead or regroup for the next bit. Nothing is ever truly free; someone has to pay to keep the gearwolfs oiled and turning. As an English professor once said, "Hoes gotta eat too."

I don't mind the ads, it keeps the studio running which is the most important thing and I can just fast forward if I feel like it.

I'm actually glad that the ad existed since Scott and Paul poking fun at themselves over that ad in the Seattle live tour podcast was hilarious. Does anyone else think that Chris Cox voiced it?