🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
admin

Episode 79.5 — 6/8/2012 TWO CHARTED 18

We might not be rockin' a blond hairdo this summer, like Wie-Wie '03, but we are starting the season right. Howard brings us some of his top summah songs so far, while Kulap's chart covers songs that she's not too enthusiastic about. Post a comment letting us know what YOUR favorite summer jams are so far.

juliet lewis is horrible in every way except in the other sister haha kulap can be a serious ball buster her reviews of those songs she dislikes made me cringe even though i too despise them..and could not tell the difference between good and bad modern songs haha loved it.. great episode!

Wow, that picture instantly made me think of Gleaming the Cube.

And I had successfully avoided knowing that annoying "band" was called "Carmen" until today; all I can say is "...white people".

Okay, show of hands...

who else totally had bleached hair in 2003?

35chloh.jpg

I did.

Gotta say, there's no reason to fear boarding the Jepsen train too early when it's being driven by Justin Bieber and that song was released last September.

Before the song in Kulap's chart started playing, I totally thought it was going to be Carman, the Christian music guy, and I was taken aback. I slowly remembered seeing them on SNL once that was mentioned and it never ceases to amaze me how nearly all of SNL's musical guests are awful but made it on because they have some buzz I'm unaware of. But if it wasn't for Who Charted? and SNL, I guess I wouldn't even be as aware as I am. Old Person Be Hating.

Howard is great at critiquing stuff. I'm always like "yes! that's EXACTLY the problem with that!" when he criticizes something. The same way he can blast right to the heart of someone's personal demons.

That Nova Rockafeller track has been stuck in my head ever since Jensen played it on his podcast a couple of weeks ago. Definitely on my So Far Summah Songs chart.

[media='']

[/media]
  • Like 1

i worked on parts of Canadian Idol in 2007, and saw Carly Jepsen from the top 22. i'm not saying this to name drop, but to mention that it was apparent to people very early on that there was a star quality to her and she was expected to go far. the fact the placed 3rd and didn't win may well have been a simple matter of the majority of voters being girls and voting for the male competitors she was up against (i don't know this to be true, just a possibility)

Have a Summah Top 5 songs

1. "Waves" by Electric Guest

2. "Indian Summer" by Canon Blue

3. "True Romance" by Motion City Soundtrack

4. "Skipping Disc" by Animal Kingdom

5. "Queen of California" John Mayer

i'm probably like a year late on this but whatever

"House" by Kindness

Summah Slowdahnce

Thanks, a-holes. Now I have that Kitty Pryde song stuck in my head. Even worse, one of my coworkers caught me listening to it on Youtube.

In asking for Summah songs, I have very little for current ones, however, my dad made a mix tape in the mid-80s known as the Summertime mix that has lived on in my family ever since and was made into a cd at one point and then became a playlist. It will forever be a legend in my family. I consider the greatest accomplisment to be making a summah mix with no Beach Boys and a Beatles song that isn't Here Comes The Sun. Here's the tracklist.

Side A

1. The Kinks - Sunny Afternoon

2. Blondie - In The Sun

3. Katrina and the Waves - Sun Street

4. The Jaggerz - The Rapper

5. Billy Stewart - Summertime

6. Eddie Cochran - Summertime Blues

7. The Drifters - Under the Boardwalk

8. The Velvet Underground - Who Loves the Sun?

9. The Shangri-Las - Remember (Walkin' in the Sand)

10. Donovan - Sunshine Superman

11. The Undertones - Here Comes The Summer

12. The Lovin' Spoonful - Summer in the City

13. Sly & the Family Stone - Hot Fun in the Summertime

14. Alice Cooper - School's Out

15. Chuck Berry - School Days

16. The Rascals - Groovin'

Side B

1. Mungo Jerry - In the Summertime

2. Katrina & the Waves - Walking on Sunshine

3. The Ramones - Rockaway Beach

4. The Hollies - Carrie Anne

5. Van Morrison - Brown Eyed Girl

6. Creedence Clearwater Revival - Down on the Corner

7. J.J. Jackson - But it's Alright

8. Don DIxon - Southside Girl

9. The Go-Go's - We Got the Beat

10. The Ventures - Walk Don't Run

11. The Waitresses - I Know What Boys Like

12. 1910 Fruitgum Company - 1-2-3 Red Light

13. The Archies - Bang Shang A Lang

14. The Beatles - Back in the U.S.S.R.

15. XTC - Season Cycle

Some additional tracks that I love in Summah:

Jonathan Richman - That Summer Feeling

Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg - Nothin' But a G Thang

Dead Prez - Happiness

The Coup - Laugh/Love/Fuck

The Kinks - Waterloo Sunset

• Like 1

Hey Howard, I know you love Kreayshawn so I thought you'd like this colabo I stumbled upon. The song only took 10 minutes to make and it shows but it is super fun. Definitley a summah song