🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
admin

Episode 165 — Hoo-ah!

Need a cleansing experience, in addition to your 8-to-12-week smoothie diet? This week's show has everything you need to purge the soul. Andy Kindler trots out his Jay Leno and Al Pacino impersonations, Loudon Wainwright III performs several songs off his new album "Older Than My Old Man Now," and Oscar winner (Sir?) Gwyneth Paltrow, wife of Chris "Coldplay" Martin, honors us with her presence. Plus, the group plays Who Said It! Hee hee! Shamone! Dah!

I've been pretty sure about this for a while, but this seals it; we don't get enough Kindler in Kansas. This episode was worth at least five gold cubes.

• Like 2

Alright, that´s the third time Amy Phillips was on the show

(to my knowledge, anyway)

and the third time she did a character.

I´d wish once she would come on as a normal guest and be

properly interviewed.

Is that too much to ask?

• Like 1

I love Andy, but he stepped on Amy's lines a little too much. I mean Gwyneth's. Who's "Amy?". Why did I say "Amy?" I don't know what I'm talking about.

Loudon Wainwright was great! Hope he comes back on the show again.

• Like 2

Shouldn't the ex lead singer of Maroon 5 have been Mr. Howl?

Loved this episode. Phillips is always great and this was no exception. Great voice imitation, funny material. Kindler's energy is a bit much at times but I liked him a lot here, and he and Scott were great together.

Also, glad to hear the return of Who Said It? (That's a statement, not a question.) Between that theme song and the road trip episode of Louie, "Who Are You?" is now the most unintentionally funny song in rock history.

ALSO, KULAP ON BOB'S BURGERS?!

• Like 1

Long time listener, but I actually registered an account to say how annoying Andy Kindler was in this episode. Painful.

• Like 1

Another long-time listener and huge fan of the Choctaw, but it seems like the show is going through another slow patch. Almost turned off when I realised there'd be a musical guest. C'mon Hot Soccermom, I believe in you!

Another long-time listener and huge fan of the Choctaw, but it seems like the show is going through another slow patch. Almost turned off when I realised there'd be a musical guest. C'mon Hot Soccermom, I believe in you!

How dare you jump on my long time listener bandwagon to viciously attack Loudon Wainrwight III? He was the saving grace of this episode!

• Like 1

I'm a comparatively short time listener, but an avid one, and I'll say that Scott always gets good acts on when the time comes for a musical guest. Infer my point, if you will.

• Like 1

Extremely long time and avid listener.

I loved this episode all around. Kindler kills.

• Like 2

"it was maroon 7 but two of them didn't make it off the island"

"hoo boy"

lol

Kinda embarrassed to admit this, but until this episode I had no idea Loudon was a musician. I just knew him as "That guy from the Judd Apatow stuff who kind of looks and sounds a little bit like James Woods but is totally not James Woods"

But what a pleasant surprise! I really liked the "Man and Dog" song and giggled all the way through.

Amy did a pretty good job of playing my queen Gwynny... maybe too good.

tumblr_loveduZfGN1qzcyg0.gif

GOD DAMN IT, SCOTT. That was the greatest thing to have ever happened on CBB. Have Gwenyth on every week. That sanctimonious bitch needs to be skewered more for my listening pleasure.

I see why Scott was so miffed a few episodes ago-- Loudon Wainwright III was great. Weird how Andy always brings out the haters around here... his riffing style is perfect for this format and he was hilarious as usual.

• Like 2

Long time listener, but I actually registered an account to say how annoying Andy Kindler was in this episode. Painful.

No good?

• Like 5

There are plenty of opinions around this joint but here are the facts.

1. Andy was hilarious and a delight throughout.

2. Amy started slow and a little clumsy but got into the groove after only a couple of minutes and was a lot of funny for the duration.

3. Too many CBB music guests have brought the mood down but Loudon Wainwright III kept the vibe perfect and earned his way into the all-time Top 3 of CBB Musical Guests with Nick Lowe and Reggie.

4. Whenever The Commanche drops his dumb little lines like "not in this economy" a kitten gets its wings. I don't know exactly how he makes that mundane small talk stuff so hilarious when I'm normally immune to post modernity but he does. He is just that magical.

• Like 1

How dare you make me have no opinion on this!?!?! I just registered a few months ago to tell you how neutral I am about everything! Andy can go to purgatory and I hope Loudon DIES, after he lives a long and happy life. GRRRR!

• Like 3

First of all, I dug the episode. Maybe not an all-time great, but it was certainly a pleasant way to spend an hour.

Just one thing... and it's not a huge deal, because I know that they can be fast-forwarded through if someone doesn't enjoy them, and it's great for Earwolf to make money any way it can... but could we PLEASE get a new Pepsi Next ad? PLEEEEEASE? It's been on every single Earwolf show for over a month now, and it's getting a bit hard to take. Surely PepsiCo has recorded more than that one spot for their new product?

I'm sure it's no problem for the casual listener, but I tend to listen to at least one episode of an Earwolf show every day, and having to hear the exact same ad over and over is kind of a bummer.

• Like 2

Off topic, and unapplicable to this episode, but: "If a man is considered guilty for what goes on in his mind; give me the electric chair for all my future crimes." Is the best line Prince has written. Stop the Batdance irony.

First of all, I dug the episode. Maybe not an all-time great, but it was certainly a pleasant way to spend an hour.

Just one thing... and it's not a huge deal, because I know that they can be fast-forwarded through if someone doesn't enjoy them, and it's great for Earwolf to make money any way it can... but could we PLEASE get a new Pepsi Next ad? PLEEEEEASE? It's been on every single Earwolf show for over a month now, and it's getting a bit hard to take. Surely PepsiCo has recorded more than that one spot for their new product?

I'm sure it's no problem for the casual listener, but I tend to listen to at least one episode of an Earwolf show every day, and having to hear the exact same ad over and over is kind of a bummer.

On what newfangled device do you listen to podcasts that lacks the ability to fast-forward/jump ahead?

I seriously want to know, so I make sure I don't buy it, ever. I need to protect my EARHOLES.

(it's definitely a shitty ad, I don't think anyone would disagree. But it's surely paying the bills, You can handle it. At least it isn't "ManGrate" -- though that would crack for up for at least a minute if it happened on Earwolf)

I love Andy Kindler, but he's gleefully misinformed about how stupidly religious Americans are.

Mr. Maher, is that you?