🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 34 — Eric the Paid Intern

I love the Eric segments, he's like Matt's Karl Pilkington. And I think this episode definitely proves that genius improv can be mined from his interviews. I definitely hope this isn't the last we hear of him.

• Like 2

I think what makes the segments work is that Matt just goes all in. He doesn't pull back in the least and try to spare feelings or be subtle about any of it. "Why is Jeff picking up teenagers from other states?".

If Matt gave Eric any slack, it wouldn't work because we all sort of want him to lay into him, but at the same time there is something so fun about a person who seems to work very hard, but has no interest in the amazing people and events happening around him. It's actually refreshing to think that a total non-comedy-nerd is sitting there watching all of this with no realy attachment or emotion. Where else can you find something like that? I bet that he is actually a God send for Jeff because he isn't being distracted by that pesky fandom that most other interns (as in...all of them) must be having.

• Like 1

My i4h ritual is to always listen to it after my lunch break on Thursdays, sitting at my desk in my cubicle, usually covering my mouth, teary eyes squeezed shut, trying not to breathe, trying not to laugh out loud because seriously? This show is so funny.

I love how much stuff goes into this show, I love the bonus episodes with the deleted scenes, and I had no idea how far down the show could plunge into the depths that are Eric the Intern's routinely fubar segments.

I remember around the end of the Earwolf Challenge when Matt was talking about this show and hadn't decided on a name yet, and when he listed the three or four he was split on, improv4humans definitely stuck out to me and I'm glad it was picked.

Beyond that though? I had no idea that the Thursdays of the future would consist of me in the office, post-lunch, gleefully in pain with an aching belly and smile muscles completely spent, giggling like a maniac. Good show, old sport.

I think this is the best post put up on Earwolf in a while. I love picturing a guy just losing his $hit in his cubicle over something good and joyful and not something opressive and horrible. When other writers (or parents) ask me about why I love Earwolf and comedy that is, at times, pretty not kid friendly, I sometimes forget just how much happiness it has brought me over the years. What we get for the 'price' we pay is simply amazing.

I can't think of another thing of late that has brought me as much entertainment, and as much joy, as Earwolf.

Well....my kids.

Horatio was on fire during the "don't kick my ass" bit. I can't believe how long they kept that single premise going.

So the mystery of Eric the Paid Intern has finally been unlocked, though it still seems like most people (including Besser) seem to be overlooking a crucial part. If Eric was hired by Earwolf for his technical skills, he probably saw it as a job at a tech startup, not a comedy network. So it makes total sense that he's not ALSO a comedy nerd - there'd be no reason for that to be a job requirement for a computer programmer.

But I loved the comedy that could be mined from Besser and company trying to figure out this kid - it just kept going because Eric was having so much trouble explaining himself. Which, again, makes more sense when you think this a computer hacker, fresh out of high school, with no ambitions of performing or probably even public speaking.

Anyway, kudos on a great episode! This one probably goes into my top 3 ever for I4H.

I can't believe you cut all this follow-up with Eric the Paid Intern out of the regular episodes. The improv was fine--inside out dinosaur pussy was golden in fact--but listening to the eric's frightened nonsense was priceless.

Episode was cool.

Eric the Intern was good as a nice long bonus episode. It worked, for me, because his awkwardness actually had a chance to breath.

Sometimes when he comes on it stops the momentum of the show sometimes. Usually hit or miss. But this specific episode even allowed us, the listene,to hear you and the guests honest bewilderment at his responses. It was great hearing your frustrations. Plus your realization, over and over, that he means well....

I say bring him back like this. Store up a few stories and improvs with Eric, and then release it as a bonus when you have about an hour and twenty worth of material.

• Like 1

...but the important question is, can we legally force Eric to cut his hair? And is this hair-cutting important enough that someone will volunteer to have sex with him?

• Like 3

As a dude working "hetero" hard to get laid myself, I dont think its the hair (my hair is short and to no avail). It could be the girl pants but I doubt it. That is a silly, floppy haircut. However, from the interactions I've heard its more likely that someone has already tried to have sex with Eric in L.A. and he was too aloof to notice.

...but the important question is, can we legally force Eric to cut his hair? And is this hair-cutting important enough that someone will volunteer to have sex with him?

If someone does offer to sex him up for cutting his hair he should be contractually obligated to do that. Two words: Legal Zoom.

P.S. Eric's haircut for sex adventure should be in an episode after it happens. That is delightfully craigslist-y.

This episode was feckin' hilarious! I felt like I was in a backroom with a load of Mafia guys who were giving shit to 'this fuckin' kid!' LOL! The Improv was great too because it was like the Mafia guys were all doing improv on the side so they could better rib the kid! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If Eric has to go then please replace him with another clueless mope! (ie: a kid new to LA with no showbiz ambitions)

Matt's interaction with Eric in this episode was really funny. I love it when Matt is annoyed, and like someone already commented, it's refreshing to see improv geniuses interacting with someone who really couldn't care less about them.

Matt, your podcast is a real delight, it's extremely funny and you're a perfect host and anchor for all of the improv. I eagerly await it every Thursday.

Since everyone else here is too scared of Besser's "Agree to Disagree" hammer coming down on them, I'll say what everyone is thinking but not saying for fear of improv retribution. Isn't it ironic that Matt cut together 90 minutes of himself railing against someone's laziness as a way to lazily get out of having to put together a new podcast this week? Jus' saiyan. Aukerman never misses a week.

• Like 1

Since everyone else here is too scared of Besser's "Agree to Disagree" hammer coming down on them, I'll say what everyone is thinking but not saying for fear of improv retribution. Isn't it ironic that Matt cut together 90 minutes of himself railing against someone's laziness as a way to lazily get out of having to put together a new podcast this week? Jus' saiyan. Aukerman never misses a week.

Sounds like someone is very specifically unafraid of the segment. I am not sure such a shallow argumentative position is going to get you on the show, though.

You also lose points for "liking" your own post, fitzger.

I dug this episode a lot, particularly the "Eric-says-something-completely-unrelated-before-getting-to-the-actual-point" bit.

• Like 1

I loved the concept of Jesus being pompous and always telling the story about his crucifiction in the part of the "Eric is successful by doing nothing" scene and I was disappointed that did not get explored more.

Sign in to follow this