🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 40.5 — Minisode 40.5

A staple of summer cinema is the superhero flick. For every The Dark Knight and The Avengers, there plenty of weak sequels like this week’s selection. Plus, get an update on The How Did This Get Made? Awards!

My understanding of the new Spiderman reboot is that it was made simply so that Sony could maintain the rights to the Spiderman franchise since Disney bought Marvel. Spiderman 3 is a steaming crap-fest, and i look forward to this episode, but I also image the new one could certainly be a contender.

And for the awards show, Action scene completely devoid of action goes to Speed 2; the underwater wheel turning scene.

• Like 2

The Amazing Spider-Man doesn't deserve to get the How Did Get Made treatment. As Patrick said, we know how it got made, they needed to keep the rights. Also, it's not a bad film, it's not 'amazing' but it's certainly not bad enough to have a podcast devoted to it. I think a lot of the problems stem from the fact it shows us the origin story again. I was bored for the first hour because I had seen the majority of it before. It is a film that is saved by performances though, Andrew Garfield is great as Peter, much better than Tobey MacGuire ever was. The rest of the cast is great too and there is no J.Jonah Jameson, which is a good thing. So, yeah, didn't love it, didn't hate it but I don't think it's bad enough for this show. :)

Oh boy, so I'm gonna rewatch Spiderman 3 huh? Alright...I trust you guys.

How about this for a category: worst Sandra Bullock character?

• Like 1

Good lord Spiderman 3 was awful. Emo Peter Parker, cartoon Bond Villian James Franco, and a whiney Kirsten Dunst; put them all together and you get a lovely crap sandwhich. The only really good thing about this movie was Thomas Haden Church as the Sandman but that only went so far as he kept talking about his sick daughter but never said what she was sick with. To have made this movie after how awesome Spiderman 2 was is almost on par as Batman Forever and Batman & Robin.

As for Amazing Spiderman, it's not that bad. It's got the mopey teen angst angle going for Peter Parker that runs a little long but the action is pretty good. My only problems with it are the music that plays through the fight scenes sound like they are straight out of an upbeat Disney cartoon and that an important part of the Spiderman lore that shapes who Spiderman is never occurs

**** SPOILER*****

He never catches/accidentally kills the guy who killed Uncle Ben.

"The sequel that broke the franchise." I think that is perhaps the best summary of the movie that could be made. I was so excited to see them putting Venom on the screen...and then...not.

Spider-Man 3! This is the best summer of podcasting thanks to HDTGM.

Thank you for choosing Spider-Man 3. Recently, before watching the Amazing Spider-Man reboot, I watched Spider-Man 1 & 2. Spider-Man 2 has always been my favorite of the franchise, but after re-watching it, I discovered that Spider-Man 3 really made me dislike a good portion of #2. The second is the middle of a larger story like Empire Strikes Back, but instead of following the logical thread of Peter and Harry (i.e. Luke and Vader), Spider-Man 3 adds two badly portrayed villains and re-writes the premise for the original movie in the trilogy and turns Harry into a ridiculous character. Spider-Man 2 laid the groundwork for an epic finale but Spider-Man 3 didn't follow through.

Based on this observation, Spider-man 3 deserves to create its own special category for the awards show. A bad movie that made a good movie look worse.

Spider-Man 3 is like, bizarrely bad. So many great actors, a great director, some genuinely great action sequences.

But man! What a disaster. I remember my horror as I watched the "Emo Peter Parker dancing down the street" scene at the midnight premiere. I distinctly remember audibly saying, "It's a dream sequence, right? This HAS to be a dream. It HAS to be! Wait, he's dancing AGAIN? And wha--he just slapped MJ in the face?? WAKE UP PETER PARKER!!!!"

Bad. So incredibly bad.

Which is why I'm so surprised at the somewhat "meh" reaction of The Amazing Spider-Man from critics. It has a 75% on RT, and I feel like, while not a masterpiece, the movie is really darn fun, has great performances, great set-pieces, and it gets the franchise back on stable ground after the debacle of S3. Seriously. There's no way they could do another Spidey without rebooting it after S3.

Hey guys...why is Topher Grace in this movie, and why does his venom suit keep showing me his face instead of venom's?

What an awesome coincidence. My brother and I were watching this together and laughing our asses off at just about everything. There are so many things for you guys to discuss... This is worthy of a two parter. Should be a great episode!

Once peter threw the pumpkin bomb back at harry, the movie was over for me. Screw the dancing scene, peter dancing is weird but it doesn't go against "with great power comes great responsibility" the way throwing a pumpkin bomb at your best friend does.

The last half of the movie was a giant middle finger, one to the studio for making Raimi put venom in it, one to the audience for wanting venom in the first place.

Sam was doing classic spiderman villains, if this was a sandman centered movie it would have been great. The scene where he forms himself back into Flint Marko from sand was beautiful.

S3 was over for me before I watched it because I knew Topher Grace was venom. WTF man? I know venom didn't show up as a villain until the mid-eighties (Nate mentioned he isn't a classic comic villain), but Eddie Brock was supposed to be a badass before he joined the venom symbiote and T.G. does not fit that bill at all. I agree with Nate again when I say that S3 should have been about sandman exclusively. He is a way cooler bad guy in the first place and appropriately cast. Throw in cry-baby Toby as Parker and Dunst the dunce as MJ and you have a movie that is damn near un-watchable.

I will however, revisit this steaming pile of putrid garbage because I love this fucking podcast. Literally.

• Like 1

For the Literalies (Literalys?) - are you going to do them again next year and use the same categories, but have all movies ever regardless of year eligible? So for instance, you could have "Worst Movie Accent" go to John Wayne's asian accent in The Conqueror (1956) for the 2012 Literalies, but then in 2013 the winner will be Drew Barrymore's British accent from the 1998 film Ever After? At first I thought maybe you should change the categories every year, but now I think just having random winners in the same categories every year is stupid and ridiculous enough to kind of work.

Definetely call them The Literalies though, that is a great name.

The Literally's has to be the name.

Spider-Man 3 is bad but it's not THAT bad especially given the movies you guys cover. There's a lot to make fun of though so the episode should be good.

• Like 1

YUSSSSSS

tumblr_m6xgaj3Wt91qe43cd.gif

• Like 3

I want it to be known, for the record, that I was the one that came up with the name "The Literallies." Look up the forum, people!

I'm prideful!

• Like 2

I want it to be known, for the record, that I was the one that came up with the name "The Literallies." Look up the forum, people!

I'm prideful!

I won't look it up because I'm lazy. But I'll trust you and say great award name! :)

I think all the Raimi Spiderman movies are equally enjoyable. Obviously this isn't the popular opinion, but it's just that, opinion.

Paul totally called it. Amazing Spider-Man would make a good How Did This Get Made? down the line. It's as lousy as Spider-Man 3, but at least Spider-Man 3 has those great WTF moments and a sense of fun/quirkiness to it. Amazing Spider-Man is a total generic snoozefest, but it does have an incredibly messy, plothole-ridden script that would make for an entertaining HDTGM episode.

Sign in to follow this