Episode 60 — Quantum Physics

28 replies to this topic

#1 Earwolf Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:03 PM

What do you get when you cross a quark with a gluon? Honestly, we still don't even think those are real words. Baby genius turned adult genius/comedian David Relyea is educating us today on Quantum Physics and using a lot of words we've never heard before. Plus, Tig updates us on life off of the grid. Travel inside the hatch, and inside an atom or two, on Professor Blastoff!

#2 JerryGPena

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:57 AM

Professor Blastoff has officially jumped the shark, last weeks episode was bad enough, and now this? The only bad part is that I really enjoy Kyle's contribution to the show, and until last week also really liked what Tig brought. Now I see that you guys having an interest in science doesn't necessarily mean that you have an interest in good science. I've been listening since the very first episode, and you guys had a really good run. I really hope to see more great from Kyle and Tig in the future.

#3 wargen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:47 AM

I can't think of doing anything more awesome than jumping over a shark. Congratulations, everyone! We did it!

#4 Diggums

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationI...I don't know where I live.

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:49 AM

I wish I would have paid more attention and applied myself in Physics class during my junior year in high school. I've missed out on so many fascinating things about the world of Physics.

#5 Ben M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:11 AM

I am impressed there are 21-year-old kids creating logins for the express purpose of making a Happy Days reference in 2012 to voice their support for "good science" in a comedy podcast. How the world has changed.

#6 LemonDropKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationNashville

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:17 AM

Since I don't care very much about learning things through a comedy podcast, I'm glad the PB crew just use loose scientific topics as launching points to make jokes and tell anecdotes.

#7 rockydocky

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:32 AM

Thank goodness 'Angry Algebra Teacher' and "Deeter" saved me from learning things through a comedy podcast.

#8 AlamoBasement

cap n' crunch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  • Locationnew jersey

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:13 AM

great ep as always! thanks

#9 Luke HENDERSON!

AKA Luke Henderson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:40 AM

I could care less if any show ever actually talks about any of the topics in the future and I demand that all future discussions about quantum physics begin with a heated debate about who is who in terms of The Breakfast Club casting equals.

#10 Matts

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:03 AM

I thought this was an awesome episode. I'm one of those that think they occasionally step on their guests too often and prevent the conversation from going anywhere, but that was not the case this time. I enjoy Professor Blastoff the most when a balance between conversation and fun is reached, and this episode did it really well.
Visit https://www.facebook...listentothemans to hear our occasional musics.

#11 Jengaman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:54 PM

Yay! I've been waiting for this episode since the computers one.
But still....hard to listen to the smart guy when the giggly children in the back mumble things.
But what i got to hear was very interesting! and confusing!
Hopefully I'll get a better grasp of it after some "Wikipediaing"

Keep talking about science philosophy and metaphysical stuff guys, don't turn this into a podcast where you just talk about nothing like some people want here. That's very boring. I'm sorry to hear that people who listen just tune out the guests. Whats the point? And who would guest on a podcast where the listeners just want to hear them get interrupted? Do you people just half listen while waiting for swamp rock guy(or any impression)? and then go "WEEEE JOKEY JOKES!"...sounds lame. I like a good mix. :)

As long as there is story time in the beginning ,science discussion in the middle, and horribly messy endings with forced laughter and bad emails, this will still be my favorite podcast.

Great guest. great cast. Keep doing more like these!!!

#12 billygg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:11 PM

Great riddles and humorousness y'all! Please continue being hilarious.

#13 Kickpuncher

Sentient Meat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationIthaca, NY

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:20 PM

"...and beef, United States-wise..." That totally made my day.

It had been too long since we had some good ol' fashioned riddles, so that made my day even more.

#14 rockydocky

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:57 PM

View PostJengaman, on 10 July 2012 - 02:54 PM, said:

Do you people just half listen while waiting for swamp rock guy(or any impression)? and then go "WEEEE JOKEY JOKES!"

Yes. Yes I do.

#15 A Plonk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:14 PM

It's rude and inconsiderate to invite a guest to take time out of his (or her) day to come to your studio, ask them questions, and do nothing but talk over their answers. I suppose that's the joke, but are you not competent enough interviewers\comedians to wait and make jokes between, and informed by, the guest's replies? You might as well play a recording of a science lecture in the background and yell "swamp rock" over it. At least you wouldn't come off as assholes.

The podcast would be better served by losing the guests and just having Kyle and Tig pile onto whatever nonsense David espouses.

#16 rockydocky

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:52 PM

View PostA Plonk, on 11 July 2012 - 09:14 PM, said:

It's rude and inconsiderate to invite a guest to take time out of his (or her) day to come to your studio, ask them questions, and do nothing but talk over their answers. I suppose that's the joke, but are you not competent enough interviewers\comedians to wait and make jokes between, and informed by, the guest's replies? You might as well play a recording of a science lecture in the background and yell "swamp rock" over it. At least you wouldn't come off as assholes.

The podcast would be better served by losing the guests and just having Kyle and Tig pile onto whatever nonsense David espouses.

I'm Sorry, they weren't expecting the shipment until Tuesdee.

#17 jughead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:33 AM

View PostA Plonk, on 11 July 2012 - 09:14 PM, said:

Thats funny you feel this way. I always thought that is exactly what makes this podcast as great as it is. At this point in the history of this podcast do any of you actually care that you may not learn something from it? There is no other podcast that I listen to where I laugh as much and as hard as this one.

#18 Brendan H

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:04 PM

I haven't checked, but I'm pretty sure the voiceover in the first clip was done by John Astin of The Addams Family fame.

I wanted to add that I like the format of the show the way it is, but there are times when there's a little too much overtalking. It's not only the guest that can get talked over, but jokes get obscured too. It's hard to avoid when you have 4 or 5 people trying to so a show, so it's not a huge point of contention for me.

#19 EvanParsons

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:18 PM

View PostBen M, on 10 July 2012 - 05:11 AM, said:

I am impressed there are 21-year-old kids creating logins for the express purpose of making a Happy Days reference in 2012 to voice their support for "good science" in a comedy podcast. How the world has changed.

I disagree., Not with your statement but with your Happy Days reference. I for one use that phrase all the time and never have i once watched an episode of that show.

#20 Diggums

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationI...I don't know where I live.

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:03 PM

Sorry about all of this, Tig, Kyle and David. What a shame.