🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 35 — I Fixed It!

Ignoring the "debate" with the Most Hated Man on Earwolf, because I only heard about half of it (mainly due to time constraints, but also due to having no desire to go back and finish it)...

This might have been my favorite I4H ever. Lennon is so good and the circus/period segment was amazing. I'm not familiar with either of the other two, but thought they were both really good as well. Loved the return of the correcting girl at the end.

In a way my character was one of Dewey's biggest straightmen. Really the whole band was. Parody is a unique animal, because the thing that is being parodied is the straight man. That's why you can't really parody a comedy.

Mr. Besser, if you made a podcast where all you do is say things like the thing you just said, that podcast would thereafter supersede all audio in my life. I love learning about the science of comedy, and I feel like you're one of the most qualified people alive to delve into the subject.

• Like 2

Never heard of Chris Gore before, but what a sociopath. How can he without irony talk about how polite he is, and he hates when people are so inconsiderate as to not use their turn signals, and then explain how he likes to yell things out in restaurants and then abandon a first date at the table? If someone ever did that to me I would have a blood oath against them until the day I die. How telling that he slipped and called the people in the restaurant the "audience." God, I think I'm going to lose sleep tonite over my visceral hatred of this guy...

• Like 3

Wow I loved this episode! I knew Lennon would be great after hearing her do a character on Comedy Bang Bang. And Pam Murphy was great too! The only thing I knew her from before this was videos she makes with Sue Galloway. I don't always enjoy the "confrontation" parts of this show, but I'm glad that Matt was able to help Chris understand that quality improv is not just yelling things out like an eighth grader in a grocery store. I don't think a single listener was starting this episode thinking that improvisers are pussies. Maybe that conversation was for our amusement?

I also would love to hear Matt talk about comedy. I love listening to these podcasts and picking up on little improv tricks.

But I have to wonder, how much is there to teach in improv? Like I've heard there are many different levels (or something) and I have no idea what that means. Are there advanced improv techniques or what? It seems like there are a few basic ideas (yes-anding, find the gist of the scene, listening to others) and from there is just a matter of practice.

Can someone please inform this ignornant mathematician?

I've never listened to anything on a podcast as infuriating as Chris Gore's misguided, uninformed bullshit about improv being for pussies. In theory, at least, how amusing it was the fact that he could not justify his point or stay on topic, continually dodging any relevant points.

Keep doing your dangerous, lonely improv, you fucking asshole.

AKA Keep 'em coming, Gleep-Glop!

• Like 5

Thanks Robin! Yeah, it's an ongoing series and we recently put up the four part, "Black Guy auditions". You can find them easiest on www.mattbesser.com

I had forgotten about that Fraiser episode. What I remember from shooting it is that Kelsey never looked me in the eye or acknowledged me at all until the director called "action". Total dickhead.

Love those master class vids but they're so...META! I thought Matt Besser hated meta...Time for a meta debate? I mean, it's not even a real word - it's a prefix! Meta-what? Meta World Peace?

Seriously though, great, great show as always.

I think the line of the show was in reference to toes, "Really, who needs balance anymore? I mean, take a seat already." That just made my day.

Did anyone else think that all the 'I did a little improv' jokes early on in the one sketch were in reference to the Gore debate?

Hey Matt! You're a crossword clue in the week's The Onion (well, a character you played)! 2 down, "Crazy ___ And The Douche".

We did it!

• Like 1

Hey guys.... admittedly I'm late to the parade here, and while I do agree that Chris Gore is a toxic human being that should be contained in some sensory deprivation chamber until science can isolate the gene that makes man that terrible... I do have to admit that his "yell at a random innocent for no reason and watch how surprised they are to get yelled on" improv style has resonated throughout the world of television... here is the most prominent example:

Is it possible the Chris Gore thing is just a big work? I can't imagine that this man really is this horrible and stupid in real life.

I really related to the Best Summer Ever Guy's story about his buddy Jake.

The other day best my buddy told me that when he was three he stepped on a poolside folding chair that whipped up and severed his tongue. His mom thought that the piece of tongue that fell onto the pavement was gross and she threw it away. To this day he cannot pronounce any word with an "L" in it. A few years later he mistakenly drank some Drano and his parents made him eat butter telling him that it would neutralize the poison. He puked for days. He also told me about the time his dad pushed him off the roof onto a trampoline where he bounced and landed on their mailbox. He broke three ribs and his dad laughed about it for weeks.

This is going to be the best summer ever.

• Like 2

I wanted to jump on the Chris Gore hate train so I listened to the interview again before doing something controversial like posting a negative comment on the internet. It seemed worth it considering I was judging somebody I had never heard of on a thirty minute conversation. Saying Chris is a sociopath is pretty farfetched. He mostly seems like he’s just trying to impress Matt. I’ll bet (hope) in person this conversation would seem a lot less self-indulgent. With his do it yourself zines and career as a critic, he reminds me of a talk radio host who’s made his money with his opinions and even if he’s wrong, he can’t BE wrong because that would ruin everything. So when he says something controversial, or in this case kind of offensive, and is wrong, he side-steps and steers the conversation in ways that put him in a positive or high-status light. A moment that really stuck out was when Matt referenced a movie Chris hadn't heard of, Chris immediately tried to reference a movie that Matt hadn't heard of. It was like he was defending his livelihood. And thirty minutes of him trying to feel on top is really obnoxious.

Otherwise, It was great to get to hear Matt talk about improv in a way that was both really honest and very spelled out.

Also one time I ordered a large iced coffee, but they gave me a treinta and when I returned it the girl sneered and said "Next time just say venti"

• Like 1

Dear Matt,

What I want to know is what was the title of your punk zine?! I would love to read it!

Were you in Arkansas at the time? Were there punk bands in Arkansas? Or was it when you were in Chicago? I could see you being a fan of Naked Raygun.. Or were you more interested in the Touch and Go post-punk stuff, i.e. JEsus Lizard, Tar, etc...?

Sorry to be a music nerd and inundate you with questions but I... ummm, have no life...

I knew Chris Gore's comments would be bullshit as soon as started with "Improv is for pussies. Except of course for you and Paul Sheer and anyone else who may be a friend of mine or be able to help my career." If you're gonna say shit like that you've gotta own it. Believe me, it takes a lot more courage to get up in front of any audience, no matter how small, and perform an improv scene than it does to act like a jackass in a restaurant. Of course beginners kinda suck. They're beginners. Demeaning improv as being "for pussies" because people who have been doing it for less than six months haven't quite mastered it is kind of silly.

I'll say this much- I've been taking improv classes for a little under a year and it has definitely, without a doubt made me a better person and that is not bullshit. I don't know if I'm any good or not, but it's most definitely made me less pf a pussy.

• Like 6

I'll say this much- I've been taking improv classes for a little under a year and it has definitely, without a doubt made me a better person and that is not bullshit. I don't know if I'm any good or not, but it's most definitely made me less pf a pussy.

You know what would be cool? If they added a new section to I4H that had Matt talking to guys like you, people starting out in the Improv life and what it looks/sounds like early on.

After listening to Gore on Who Charted and I4H, I can only assume that Attack of The Show's producers tried recreating the scientific experiment from the Schwarzeneggar/Devito masterpiece Twins. The ideal human traits — intelligence, creativity, empathy, drive, a willingness to work towards everyone's collective benefit, etc. — were used to create Chris Hardwick, and all of the remaining genetic detritus congealed into Chris Gore.

This guy could not be more of a loathsome, self-serving shitbag. (Check out his Twitter feed if you remain unconvinced.) If he shows up on Monday's Comedy Bang Bang, I'm going to have some serious questions for the Earwolf braintrust, like "What blackmail fodder is he holding over your heads?"

One of the best episodes the show has ever done. Lennon is becoming one of my favorite guests. I'm drooling thinking of an episode with her, Andy Daly, Horacio and Connroy.

• Like 1

You know what would be cool? If they added a new section to I4H that had Matt talking to guys like you, people starting out in the Improv life and what it looks/sounds like early on.

That would be amazing!

I'm surprised Matt didn't bring up "Crossballs". That show was kind of similar to Chris' examples of his own "improv" stuff except it was entertaining

Brilliant episode. I've never posted anything here but I had to weigh in on the Chris Gore thing I found it so funny and Matt's abridged thoughts on improv so rad to hear.

Chris Gore seems to think of improv as some weird form of therapy where weaklings provide each other with gentle encouragement, rather than... performing and entertaining people. Does he think there's no point to anything if you're not doing it in real life? Is the only true form of art getting applause for yelling at your girlfriend in public?

Oh you like war movies why don't you go join the Army coward. Stop playing free jazz you puss take your horn out in the street and see if a homeless person starts yelling along with you.

Lovely Matt Besser handled the conversation wonderfully but I kinda thought some scenes based on Mr. Gore's bizarre non-sequitur opinions might have been fun. Nothing against Chris Gore. Will probably check out his podcast.

I do speak of Crossballs on our next episode.

That was a much too under-appreciated show, and was a great example of your explanation of how "yes, and" doesn't necessarily mean total agreement since the whole idea of the show was based on conflicting viewpoints. Even the host, who was in on the joke, always had an opposing opinion. Anyway, looking forward to the next episode!

This episode was awesome! It really got me thinking a lot about improv.

I loved the fact there were two female improvisers on the show today- this should happen more often! Having more than one woman in the group gave a freshness to scenes like the Circus scene where Matt was the only one playing a male character.

The listener submitted stories were amazing, but it got me thinking- who is picking which stories go to air? Is it Matt? If so, how do you think it effects your improv when you have heard the story already?

And, of course, the interview at the end was brilliant. It really seemed like the only reason Chris Gore said improv was for pussies was an opportunity to crash your podcast. Also, for someone who was complaining about when some interviewers are clueless on the subject their discussing, he didn't seem to have done any research on improv beyond his own general knowledge. If I was going to say something as bold as "improv is for pussies" I would have come more prepared.

I know Matt called it "too inside baseball" but I would love for Matt to talk in detail about improv some more.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this