🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 35 — I Fixed It!

Hey, all you stupid, fat little girls. It’s time to redeem your rock n’ roll gift card for some great guests... Lennon Parham, Pam Murphy, and Ben Siemon! They cover everything from cancer to coal mines to Schindler’s List. We also hear listener summer stories, and talk to Chris Gore about whether improv is for pussies. Don’t forget to submit YOUR worst summer story for a chance to be featured on an upcoming episode! Music by Bobby Matthews and Dragoon.

I don't know what it was about this line specifically, but I couldn't stop laughing when Matt said: "Goddamn this small Pennsylvania town!"

• Like 2

A delightful episode (as usual).  Thanks (as always) for the improv.

I want to praise Matt's handling of the "debate" segment at the back end of the episode.  It's brilliant and PROFOUNDLY satisfying, like extracting a splinter or popping a zit.

Not only does Matt break down key improv concepts with honesty, humor and depth, but he also breaks down his guest in the same way: with clarity and unflinching playfulness.  

The dramatic structure (and the execution) of the debate segment itself provides compelling proof of Matt's abilities.  

Thanks Matt, you made my day.

• Like 1

This episode was great, improv4humans is close to becoming my favourite podcast. Great to see Lennon Parham back too, she has a hilarious, distinctive improv voice that I love.

However, how goddamned unbearable is Chris Gore? Everything he says is self-aggrandising, lie-sounding rubbish. 46 years old, formerly a person of cultural importance, and all he has to offer are stories about sneaking into parties? "Fucking with people" is the most hollow form of edginess. It accomplishes nothing except for saying "I don't care what this person who isn't in my life thinks of me, as long as I can leave immediately after I do this random assholish thing". It was great to listen to his debate with Matt just because it was a chance for Matt to talk about improv, but otherwise, this guy has nothing to offer except randomly hating strawmen then sucking up to whoever he's talking to. Please don't let him back on the network.

• Like 20

Goddamn, what a quality episode! Favorite segments were the Rosa Parks impersonator (loved it when Matt recommended Lennon's character to associate getting her period with her being a fan of the Twilight series, asking her to "roll with that") and the I Fixed It bits (Pamela nailed how you'd expect an officious, special needs kid to sound). Everyone rocked it, especially the ladies. Please invite Lennon and Pamela back soon.

• Like 4

It was sad to hear that there is no hope for BFF coming back to TV. I was hoping that TBS or FX or some network would give the show a second chance. I'll be looking forward to whatever Lennon is going do next.

By the way, good job by michaelm on finding that clip of Besser in the FrasierBoss show. That is some trippy shit.

• Like 1

Seriously, shouting "Ah!Ah!Ah!" at people? LOL, so random! It's not interesting that yelling that noise makes people stop what they are doing, since it means, "Hey! Stop what you're doing right now! In fact it's so urgent I don't have time to say this!!" What an idiot.

Also, Hawaii is essentially a sovereign nation currently in year 114 of an American occupation, brought about by greedy American businessmen. The implication that the illegitimate overthrow of the Hawaiian kingdom and its subsequent illegal annexation, is something only a pedantic special needs child would bring up is an offensively ignorant point of view. I would be very offended by this if I weren't so chonged out on this sweet pakalolo.

• Like 2

Chris Gore getting destroyed by Besser is a very satisfying listen.

So much respect for Besser.

• Like 4

Someone needs to change the locks at the Earwolf Studios, and make sure no one gets a copy of the new keys until they sign a contract promising never to let Chris Gore in the building again.

• Like 8

Great Episode. And I really enjoyed Besser just listening to Chris, and then pouncing with some real good points and a real interesting explanation of improv. It felt as if Chris was really proud of his stories of f***ing with people, and somehow felt the need to get it out there, and his attack on improv was his loose attempt to do so. For the most part, after his first couple of justifications he went completely off the topic.

Also, Take Shelter was a really good movie. And I agree the Michael Shannon is going to be the next big thing, because he's just too good of an actor not to be.

• Like 1

How about an instructional side-podcast? It could be a 101 improv class via podcast, hosted by Matt Besser of course.

• Like 2

The difference between Chris Gore's "fucking with people" and Matt Besser's thing with the sketch artist is Besser's is funny, nice-spirited, and clearly a complete joke that is intended to be laughed at by the receiver (I'm very surprised the guy didn't immediately get it); Chris Gore's stuff is mean-spirited, simple, and unfunny. Between the end of this episode and this week's Who Charted, this guy went from being off my radar to being one of my least favorite people in the world.

Other than Chris Gore, this episode was stellar. Chris, follow your namesake and go make an acclaimed documentary. Or get gored. Either one.

• Like 4

Yaaaay Lennon is back! I've been waiting so patiently!

I had no idea "goomba" was a racist term, my grandma called me that ALL the time when I would get really hyper and silly.... But she also called Brazil nuts by their other awful name, so who knows.

All of the scenes were amazing. I particularly loved the embarrassed teenager.

After he ruined everyone's day over at Who Charted yesterday, I almost didn't want to listen to the last chunk. But I'm glad I did. Matt explained himself beautifully and now I know for absolute sure that Chris Gore is super douchey.

• Like 12

I love Lennon. She's fucking hilarious.

The interview segment at the end really makes me want Matt to drop by Marc Maron's garage for a full interview.

• Like 3

How about an instructional side-podcast? It could be a 101 improv class via podcast, hosted by Matt Besser of course.

Besser's website has some great videos of a "master improv" class at UCB LA. To the best of my memory its him and a bunch of younger really funny people goofing around, but the sketches are good and I get a kick out imagining what it would be like for Besser to be your instructor.

P.S. - @MikeM - I thought the same thing about the coffee scene from Frasier? Maybe he thought it would be a humble brag or something but my mind went to that as well.

Hey, folks! If you enjoyed the listener-submitted stories that prompted some awesome scenes, don't forget Matt Besser wants another batch of 'em!

What's your WORST summer memory? Drunk grandparents at a family bbq? Jellyfish attack? Paying $10 to see Batman & Robin in theaters?

Record a 30 second to two minute audio file and email it to fanmail@earwolf.com with the subject line "I4H Worst Summer Story."

Can't wait to hear what crazy things Matt and the guests get from YOUR stories!

I do have a question about Crazytown. Is it OK for scripted things to move into Crazytown? Because I love Walk Hard, and Matt Besser's in it, and I feel like that whole movie takes place on Main Street of Crazytown.

Besser's website has some great videos of a "master improv" class at UCB LA. To the best of my memory its him and a bunch of younger really funny people goofing around, but the sketches are good and I get a kick out imagining what it would be like for Besser to be your instructor.

Thanks Robin! Yeah, it's an ongoing series and we recently put up the four part, "Black Guy auditions". You can find them easiest on www.mattbesser.com

I had forgotten about that Fraiser episode. What I remember from shooting it is that Kelsey never looked me in the eye or acknowledged me at all until the director called "action". Total dickhead.

• Like 17

I love Lennon (and coincidentally I am listening to the Beatles) and it's great to hear two females on the show.

Also, apparently that little girl knows TWO numbers, 0 and 1. 0 is a number.

Seeing all this stuff about Chris Gore makes me wonder who the hell he is. I honestly have never heard of him before today.

Usually, we only get to hear Matt the performer. It hasn't been since the Earwolf Challenge that we've gotten a glimpse of Matt the teacher. The debate with Chris Gore wasn't really a debate; It was more like Matt teaching a very misguided pupil.

• Like 1

I do have a question about Crazytown. Is it OK for scripted things to move into Crazytown? Because I love Walk Hard, and Matt Besser's in it, and I feel like that whole movie takes place on Main Street of Crazytown.

In a way my character was one of Dewey's biggest straightmen. Really the whole band was. Parody is a unique animal, because the thing that is being parodied is the straight man. That's why you can't really parody a comedy.

• Like 4

Sign in to follow this