🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 84.5 — 7/13/2012 TWO CHARTED 23

Summah means two things: Partying, and MORE PARTYING! Whether they be with Kulap at Comic Con or with Howard at secret pool locations in Los Angeles, this week is all about the get-down get-wet get-nerdy parties that are going on now!

The movie that To-Ku-yo Rose was refering to is called The Swimmer. It stars Burt Lancaster and is based on a short story by John Cheever.

The Cheever story is worth a look if Howard needs some summah-reading. Very surreal, but kinda a downer...

SUMMAH BOOK CLUB!

Any chance of Todd Glass on Who Charted? It'd be great!

This is a great episode. no time for summah dr jones

This episode was worth listening to solely for Kulap's brief description of Grace Jones + Dolph Lundgren's sexual activity.

• Like 3

Yeah this was definitely one of the best eps of Tooch so far. I WALK WITH THE SPIRIT OF SUMMAH!

Is there a facebook link for Summahfest? I want to make my friend go so that I may live vicariously through him.

howard is in rare form on this one

Yep. Lots of great lines, and "the Tokyo Rose of Summah" was an instant classic character. (Chartacter?)

"Have a Summah 2: Guerrilla Pool Club" needs to be made right now.

I first heard of Tokyo Rose from the "South Pacific" song "There is Nothin' Like a dame"-

We get packages from home,

We get movies, we get shows,

We get speeches from our skipper

And advice from Tokyo Rose,

But Howard's keen voice acting was a way better bit of instruction in WWII history.

I started reading the Tokyo Rose Wikipedia entry right exactly as Howard read it out loud, and for a split second it was like my internal monologue had become Howard Kremer. Then I got into reading all about the Tokyo Rose woman and how she was convicted of treason and pardoned 30 years later because she was actually subtly subverting the Japanese war effort the whole time and the US coerced witnesses to lie about what she said on air. That's nuts!

Howard, my wife has made a few karaoke videos for our parties in the past, and is willing to give some Have a Summah vids a shot. Let me know if you'd want to. Not sure how to get it done or which songs.

• Like 1

You know what makes me like Howad and Kulap so much? How genuine they are. I really appreciate the fact that Kulap loved the song made for her on the Todd Glass Show so much that she played it here again and again. Seriously. That shows me again just how much Kulap loves what she is doing and appreciates where she is.

Howard's super positive response to it was great too. He could have been sarcastic or snotty like other comedians might be, but he acted very impressed and encouraging of how nice it was for them to do that. Then, Howard's referring to Todd Glass as a national treasure and Kulap's pushing of people to support Todd was really refreshing. He hasn't been on the show, he is on a rival network, and yet they still went to great lengths to talk about him.

This is what makes them so wonderful and so much fun to listen to. In Brody's words, POSITIVE ENERGY!

BTW, I'm starting a campaign to get all of the EarWolf people out to Denver Comic Con next year. Come on guys!

PS: Why is Kulap being forced to wait in lines at SDCC? She's Kulap. She goes straight to the front of the line.

• Like 3

I love all the names for the anti-allied forces propaganda women: Tokyo Rose, Axis Sally, Hanoi Hannah, etc. Howard bringing ti up and running with it was a delight.

There was a tv spot for a video game a couple of years back that prominently featured an Axis Sally-type. The game was Brothers in Arms, and I saw the commercial multiple times before I caught the out-of-focus swastika towards the end, cementing the reference...

• Like 1

I just laughed out loud recalling Howard's Tokyo Rose impression. One of the funniest moments of 2012 for sure.

That theme for Kulap from Todd Glass's show is absolutely horrible. I couldn't take listening to it once, much less for each chart entry. It's not even "so bad it's good," it's just embarrassing. The digital harmonizer on the guy's voice is awful, and the song sounds like he took a bad midi file of Tuxedo Junction and added lyrics.

Sign in to follow this