🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 168 — Breaking Bread

Today's episode of Comedy Bang Bang will bring you revelations from two of the most famous and powerful men in the world. That's maybe an overstatement, but if you're a fan of Mr. Show or Breaking Bad than you'll be hanging onto every word as Bob Odenkirk treats listeners to some tasty tidbits of Breaking Bad gossip and several brand new sketches written by the Mr. Show team. Joining Bob is a man known the world over for his relationship with the big man upstairs and the little boys in the congregation: Pope Benedict XVI! He teaches Scott and Bob a thing or two about joke writing and indulges us in a round of Would You Rather. Visit the Earwolf store to pick up the first of the Comedy Bang! Bang! Summer 2012 Tour downloads featuring Brett Gelman and Jon Daly.

Curse you, Comedy Bang Bang, you clearly have it out for all of us who work on Monday mornings. Ever since I found out Odenkirk isn't that weirdo with the thumb movies (right here on these forums btw) I've realized he's hilarious. Now I have to stay up late and find out if I'm still right.

That "Rooms: The Musical" sketch was aces, I could envision how that would look as a Mr. Show sketch perfectly in my head as it was playing, for a few glorious minutes it was like Mr. Show was back. If they have more of these ideas that never became sketches they should really do more of these audio versions. Actually, could Bob and David just do another show together please? That'd be great, thanks.

Curse you, Comedy Bang Bang, you clearly have it out for all of us who work on Monday mornings. Ever since I found out Odenkirk isn't that weirdo with the thumb movies (right here on these forums btw) I've realized he's hilarious. Now I have to stay up late and find out if I'm still right.

Somebody get this poor person the Mr. Show box set, STAT. There is clearly a gap in his comedic education!

as i opened itunes a sigh of relief came from my mouth part haha i definitely needed this great ep!

I love me some Besser, and love me some I4H, but for some reason, my boat wasn't floated so much this week. Bob O. seemed to only really have one foot in, and the Pope kind of hit all the low-hanging fruit, but it all felt a little easy.

• Like 1

Easily my favorite episode of 2012, never a dull moment, you guys killed it! Loved the pope, Matt Besser is perfect at doing characters like that, and being blasphemous/anti-religion in general :)

• Like 1

what is with these negative nancys!? this episode was great! still everyone has their own opinion hence the forum...

• Like 7

Is Besser ever not "on?"

P.S. Who's hitting CBB in Seattle? I will be getting hammered after the performance as well...

what is with these negative nancys!? this episode was great! still everyone has their own opinion hence the forum...

it seems that the influx of negative nancys has started around the same time bang bang hit ifc.. the more successful you are, the more people hate on you.

• Like 1

I love Besser but this character is sort of in poor taste, I stopped listening to it after the 609698378th molestation joke. This one just wasn't for me.

• Like 1

You understand that the butt of the joke is the organization that protects child molesters and not the children, right? Or is it just in poor taste because they're making fun of the Catholic church? If that's the case, then tell them to stop protecting child molesters.

• Like 9

Besser's Pope was great. It wasn't one note. Borrowing from Besser's i4h conversation with Chris Gore where Matt was explaining the improv philosophy of "If this ridiculous thing is true, then what else is true?" Matt's Pope was operating under the question "If the Pope was a Hitler youth and the Catholic Church he rules over protects child molesters and the Pope is totally fine with all of that, then what else is true?"

Does anyone know which Mr. Show alumni were able to contribute to Mr. Blow?

Bob named for certain David Cross, Eric Hoffman, Mark Rivers, and Eban Schletter.

There was also a female contributor who was the Powder Room in Rooms: The Musical, but I have no idea who she was. Maybe Jill Talley or Karen Kilgariff? I have no idea. Any guesses?

• Like 3

As for the "Pope", I think you fell for a con-man.

I think that wasn´t the Pope.

I think that was DR. STRANGELOVE.

Or maybe Peter Sellers ghost as Dr. Strangelove.

The Pope was stone cold genius. As always, I'm amazed at Besser's ability to tap into touchy subjects while somehow never managing to be offensive. I love that his character wasn't bashing people that believe in God, but rather the disgusting hypocrisy of the catholic church. This episode might have sealed him as my current favorite comedian :)

Oh, and Rooms: The Musical. Holy crap that was hilarious.

• Like 2

I love Besser as Pope "Eggs" Benedict the 16th.

Scott seemed genuinely taken aback that the Pope was a Hitler Youth. Maybe he hadn't heard about that. Truth is stranger than fiction sometimes.

I don't think anyone mentioned the "Choclateer" sketch from "Mr. Blow" -- that one was great!! Totally had the Bob N' Dave magic of the old days. I'd love it if they gave the audio podcast/ sketch thing another try ... they work together so well.

• Like 1

There was also a female contributor who was the Powder Room in Rooms: The Musical, but I have no idea who she was. Maybe Jill Talley or Karen Kilgariff? I have no idea. Any guesses?

Sounded like Jill to me but I could be wrong.

Sign in to follow this