🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

This movie makes zero sense from the beginning. My favorite thing about it is the accents... Guy Pierce does a reasonably good tough guy accent, but there are so many bad american accents... these and the reference to the Lambada are my favorite bad parts. There's some good material here.

I will say that the movie is reasonably impressive visually and only cost $20 million (it made $25m)

• Like 1

Also, they skydive from outer space. (There is so much crazy implausible shit in this movie.)

• Like 1

Ho-ly shit. This film is practically begging to be in a HDTGM episode for two reasons: Guy Pearce and some craptacular CGI sequences.

Guy Pearce, who probably tried his best, plays a wise-ass CIA agent who's simply named 'Snow'.

Snow is too cool for school, until he is wrongfully convicted of murder. Soon, his only chance at redemption is to except a one man mission to save the Presidents daughter from a maximum security prison...in space!

I won't go into all the details and crazy, laughable shit that this movie takes you through. But think of the story as if Escape From New York and Die Hard had a baby... and then they shot that baby into space. Oh, and it's the future, like 2080 or something.

Anyways, I personally think this film is ripe with material and fairly new.

You know what made me the ANGRIEST about this movie? Aside from all illogical plot lines, they introduce a HORRIFYING psychopath antagonist character and you just wait and wait and wait to see him die in a satisfying way and NOPE. Just not even gonna bother with that guy, we're parachuting to Earth now!

uuuuuuuughghghghhhhh

• Like 1

If this was a 3rd Snake Pliskin movie, would that have made it more enjoyable?

If this was a 3rd Snake Pliskin movie, would that have made it more enjoyable?

I don't know. I mean, did you see the SECOND Snake Plissken movie? Then again, your mileage may vary, and that might make anything you watch after that seem more enjoyable. Speaking of that, the second "Resident Evil" movie was one of the worst films I've ever seen in a theater, but I remember liking the third one quite a bit, and I don't know if it's because I thought it was genuinely good, or if it was because the one before it was THAT bad.

I don't know. I mean, did you see the SECOND Snake Plissken movie?

Yeah, and I was around the same age as when I thought Batman Forever was a good movie.

You know what made me the ANGRIEST about this movie? Aside from all illogical plot lines, they introduce a HORRIFYING psychopath antagonist character and you just wait and wait and wait to see him die in a satisfying way and NOPE. Just not even gonna bother with that guy, we're parachuting to Earth now!

uuuuuuuughghghghhhhh

I hated watching a whole movie hoping that someone wasn't going to get violently raped.

I only made through about half of this movie before shutting it off in frustration. It would make a great episode, but then I'd have to sit through the rest of it. So conflicted...

And it's Luc Besson. He knows how to make awesome things. (Messed up things where pre-teen Natalie Portman has sex with old dudes :Director's Extra Special Cut:) but awesome things none the less. He's even done sci-fi stuff with special effects before. I literally don't know what happened here.

Oh wow, just watched this one today. They HAVE to do it! Best worst movie in a while. Favorite scene has got to be the motorcycle chase near the beginning; those effects gave me flashbacks of The Last Starfighter.

Besson only wrote and produced it, he didn't direct it.

What I found really funny was that there were still hostages on the space jail when they did the sky dive escape plan, so in essence, Snow killed dozens of innocent people.

When I clicked on this thread, I was thinking of the movie "Lock Up", starring HDTGM favorite Sly Stallone. Even though I was like 8 when it came out, I distinctly remember an ad where they interview people leaving the movie, one of which was a toddler (who clearly should not have been allowed to watch a violent prison movie), saying about the movie: "It's weally hawd-cowe" in an adorable voice.

• Like 2

Can't deny the wonderful awesomeness of "Lockout." Guy Pearce was really channeling his inner '80s action star. In fact, the whole script seemed to be an '80s action movie in space.

It just goes to show; Hollywood thinks you can take any premise and it gets 100% better by setting it in space.

• Like 1

Holy shit, I was *this close* to watching this last night. I mean I thought it looked pretty bad but is it unwatchable?

Holy shit, I was *this close* to watching this last night. I mean I thought it looked pretty bad but is it unwatchable?

It's bad, but it's not Pluto Nash bad.

This movie would have been a fine re-make-ish Escape from New York in Space...

...If they would have given it the R rating it needed to be good. It's not great, it's not bad.... but this is an example of a movie that really would have benefitted from not cutting away from every bit of blood and violence. It felt like I was watching a made for prime-time TV version of a cool flick.

Oh well. At least Dredd didn't make the same mistake.

Lockout (also known as MS One: Maximum Security) is a 2012 French science fiction film directed by James Mather and Stephen St. Leger, and written by Mather, St. Leger, and Luc Besson. The film stars Guy Pearce, Maggie Grace, Vincent Regan, Joseph Gilgun, Lennie James, and Peter Stormare. Lockout follows Snow (Pearce), a man framed for a crime he did not commit, who is offered his freedom in exchange for rescuing the President's daughter Emilie (Grace) from the orbital prison MS One, which has been overtaken by its inmates, led by Alex (Regan) and the psychotic Hydell (Gilgun).

I enjoyed this movie and Guy Pearce is perfect as the bravado fueled good guy. Will this movie stand the test of time, no way, but it was not a bad movie to watch, it was downright entertaining. Yes it had plot holes and could be ripped apart but still enjoyable to watch.

• Like 1

This movie would have been a fine re-make-ish Escape from New York in Space...

...If they would have given it the R rating it needed to be good. It's not great, it's not bad.... but this is an example of a movie that really would have benefitted from not cutting away from every bit of blood and violence. It felt like I was watching a made for prime-time TV version of a cool flick.

Oh well. At least Dredd didn't make the same mistake.

Instead Dredd made the mistake of remaking a movie that was poorly received the 1st time.

Sign in to follow this