🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 42.5 — Minisode 42.5

Three words: Giant Mechanical Spider. Any movie where Will Smith literally raps the title theme is a perfect candidate for How Did This Get Made?! We also get an update on the How Did This Get Made? Awards! Plus listener questions are answered!

LOL used to rock out to that soundtrack at recess

Does anyone else remember when they performed 'Wild Wild West"at some MTV awards show and everyone abandoned poor Stevie Wonder on stage? I can't find any video proof of this, but I definitely remember it happening..

• Like 2

I hate to admit it, and I can't explain why, but Wild Wild West (trip dub) is probably my favorite bad movie ever. It might be that I started smoking weed that year...who knows.

• Like 1

Paul please please please, 2 things I strongly urge you to consider for your Wild Wild West episode.

1) Ask Patton Oswalt to be a guest for this episode. He has hilarious stories that he has shared about this movie on his appearances on the A Special Thing podcast and the Nerdist podcast that your listeners will enjoy.

Nerdist Podcast Episode with Patton Oswalt (Begins Discussing Wild Wild West at 00:12:54)

www.nerdist.com/2011/05/20431/

YouTube clip of Patton Oswalt discussing Wild Wild West on A Special Thing Podcast

www.youtube.com/watch?v=s10XIDC1bUs

2) Consider playing the YouTube clip of Kevin Smith talking about working with Jon Peters to write a Superman movie. The origins of the giant spider are amazing!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgYhLIThTvk

Are you guys aware that pretty much immediately after you have a movie on your podcast it's showing up on HDNet Movies or Sony Movie Channel??? It's pretty amazing that in the past few weeks Godzilla, Batman & Robin AND Judge Dredd have all shown up in the cable rotation.

Love the podcast! Queuing up Wild Wild West todaaaay!!!!

I can't wait to hear you guys talk about all the disabled & racist jokes they crammed into this movie. It's nuts.

If you want to talk to Smith, reach out to him through Twitter (@thatkevinsmith). He can't live without twitter and will respond.

A category you guys definitely need: Worst Science.

There is so much nonsensical, impossible science in bad movies, you need to highlight the worst ideas in the movies you've covered. Just off the top of my head, Batman and Robin had Batman using satellites to unfreeze Gotham City. And they're all perfectly OK. Someone please explain to me how that works.

I am loath to be That Guy, but please don't feel compelled to bring Kevin Smith onto the show. The Wild Wild West reference was a one-line tag to the end of a long, well-trodden story about Superman, and Paul already referenced it in this minisode. I don't think I could handle listening to Kevin Muttley laugh his (perpetually pot-addled) way through an entire HDTGM.

Here is a 5 star review from Netflix (available as an instant play!):

As usual there is no closed caption. Its been years since net flix said that it would be last year at the latest to have full closed caption.

5/5

• Like 1

MORE LIKE WILD WILD YES! im sorry... anyway pretty excited haha had some kick ass burger king toys from this film

"Does anyone else remember when they performed 'Wild Wild West"at some MTV awards show and everyone abandoned poor Stevie Wonder on stage? I can't find any video proof of this, but I definitely remember it happening.. "

Yeah it was hilarious. I think Siqo finally came out and got him.

And let's not forget that Will Smith did this movie instead of doing the Matrix movies. This was a bad movie even when I saw it as a kid from the motorized bike to giant spider and a legless Kenneth Brannah, all around terrible.

I remember a part during the MTV award Wild Wild West performance where some guy does a backflip and lands flat on his stomach with his hat falling off. I always assumed it was a real accident and not a choreographed part of the "bar brawl" theme of the performance because the camera switches off the guy incredibly fast.

If you guys ever are able to get Kevin Smith, DO NOT waste him on this. As others have mentioned, the story's been done to death, and all we'd really get is him telling us what we've already heard through his various interviews, speaking engagements, etc., and there's no shortage of those.

If you're able to get Smith, it would be a perfect reason to finally do "Southland Tales". We've talked it up quite a bit on the forum here, and I'm pretty convinced that you guys are afraid of it. I know he's buddy-buddy with Richard Kelly, so I don't know how much he'd be willing to knock on the film, but Smith was in it, and out of all the people involved with that trainwreck, he'd probably be one of the more interesting people to listen to. But yeah, the giant robot spider thing is SUCH a dead horse...

A category you guys definitely need: Worst Science.

Omigod yes. Sticking a light in the back a dude's head to project the last image he saw is the craziest bunch of meshugas ever.

I just finished watching this and I can't wait for it to get the HDTGM treatment. There were some wildly uncomfortable sexual innuendo scenes between Will Smith and Kevin Kline that made me simultaneously eye roll and groan with disgust. But I think the WORST sexual innuendo has to be handed to Loveless for implying that he built a robot dick in order to bang ladies in place of the dick he lost with the rest of his bottom half (uh, how's that for worst science? keeping a man with half his body gone alive?). I just...I can't/won't.

I also chuckled pretty hard at the obvious green screen moments out in the desert. I too had a bunch of Burger King WWW franchise toys (the Jim West/Artemis sunglasses were wicked ugly, but I wore them anyway because hey, free sunglasses and also I was 12) and I definitely remember that I enjoyed all those BK meals far more than the actual movie.

P.S. Selma Hayek was terrible.

Fuck this movie. 21% on Rotten Tomatoes? Anything more than 1% doesn't make sense. Way to combine things that are awesome (westerns, Steampunk, and science), do a terrible job at all of them, and ruin various combinations thereof for future enjoyment.

#unnecessary hate

Watching this movie for the first time since I was 10. Jesus Christ even when I was 10 I knew this movie wAs awful. This and batman and robin are probably my two favorites that they have done!

Just watched this. The general concept might have worked if there was an overarching sense of fun, so you could just roll with the bad science and ridiculous plot points. Buddy chemistry between Will Smith and Kevin Kline would have helped as well. The problem is that, despite how hard they seemed to try, the movie is completely devoid of fun. This isn't an unintentionally fun bad movie like the Room or Birdemic. It's just a bad movie.

I suppose it gets points for the odd use of Bai Ling.

Points for having the Patron Saintess of HTFDTGM? Mais, oui...

I was fan of the old tv show as a young kid and even got well into Bah Bah Black Sheep...Conrad was certainly never as '70s uber-cool as James Garner but they certainly should have involved in the movie. So Will Smith's apology was quite valid.

Anyhow, looking for some interviews with Conrad, I found this one from Cinefantastique - a kind of glossy fanzine where he freely speaks his mind:

My meeting with Sonnenfeld (Barry, producer/director of WWW) was blah. I just felt b.l.a.h. It was a courtesy on his part. When I didn't drop to my knees and kiss his ring after MEN IN BLACK, I think he had enough of me. And when I met Jon Peters (another producer on the film), it was Hollywood hype at its worst. You know there is a lot of decent, honest people in this community. Don Meyer, Brandon Tartikoff, Frank Price who ran Columbia, but every once in a while, you meet a jive-ass.... and Jon Peters is a jive-ass but I did want to do the film because he is such a talented hair dresser. I thought it would be great in between takes he could maybe do my hair.

He alleges to be a martial artist. He told me he was a martial artist and I find that suspect. But if he would ever like to prove it, I am certainly available.

Michael Dunn did such a great job playing Dr. Loveless, and he was by far the best villain on the show. There are so many talented dwarfs but they wanted Kenneth Brannagh. He was in HAMLET. It was tedious and tough for me to stay awake, I kept looking for Mel (Gibson). I don't mean to slam-dunk him but it was kind of lost. I've never seen Kevin Kline but I know he kissed Tom Selleck and Larry King. He is not Ross Martin. Kevin Spacey or Gary Sinese. Bottom line is the cast.

Conrad was great in his Columbo episode also...

Sign in to follow this