Episode 40 — Over Hard
Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:01 PM
Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:27 AM
North Americans use many different terms to describe fried eggs, including:
- A style known simply as 'fried' — eggs are fried on both sides with the yolks broken until set or hard.
- 'Sunny side up' — cooked only on one side; yolk is liquid; the egg white is set. This is often known simply as 'eggs up'. Gently splashing the hot cooking oil or fat on the sunny side uncooked white, i.e., basting, may be done to thoroughly cook the white. Covering the frying pan with a lid during cooking (optionally adding a cover and half-teaspoon of water just before finishing) allows for a less "runny" egg, and is an alternative method to flipping for cooking an egg over easy (this is occasionally called 'sunny side down').
- 'Over easy' or 'over light', cooked on both sides; the yolk is a light runny and the egg white is fully cooked. "Over easy" fried eggs are also commonly referred to as dippy eggs or dip eggs by Marylanders, by Pennsylvania Dutch persons living in central Pennsylvania and those living around them, mainly due to the practice of dipping toast into the yolk while eating.
- 'Over medium' — cooked on both sides; the yolk is of medium consistency and the egg white is thoroughly cooked.
- 'Over well' — cooked on both sides until the yolk has solidified.
- 'Over hard' or 'hard' — cooked on both sides with the yolk broken until hard.
- 'Overcook' — cooked on both sides until the egg white and yolk have hardened and started to brown.
Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:42 AM
I seriously can not believe K Mart has stuck around this long. I have a K Mart less than a mile from my house, and I still drive 10 miles to shop at Target.
Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:28 AM
oH SHIT. I've never actually spit water or coffee or tea all over my keyboard laughing at a show...until just now when Matt besser said "James Holmes GUM". I just choked water out all ove the place from that.
Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:51 AM
Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:21 PM
If you still want a video suggestion, you might like the Super Broker Shuffle:
It's a shitty video submission for some grocery store contest in the 80s. A bunch of southern white people rapping their grocery store version of Super Bowl Shuffle.
It's 4 minutes long, but for playback purposes you could probably cut it off a little over a minute in and get the point.
Newest episode: Applied Nostalgia 110 - Hey Dude
Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:28 AM
I like the light touch, it dives in just enough and stays interesting throughout every topic. I'm an avowed history buff and this provides a nice counter to another fantastic podcast Dan Carlin's Hardcore History. Also I like that the hosts name, Dublina Truckerboardy, reminds me so much of my old Kindegarten teacher's name: Cuntalina Hitttler.
Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:10 AM