đź”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Ă—
Sign in to follow this  
andrewdpick

King Ralph (1991)

If you haven't heard of this one at least check out the description. John Goodman becomes the king of England! A few boring parts but overall a pretty good canditate.

"When an accident obliterates the British royal family and most of its branches, a desperate geneological search discovers the next king: Ralph, a sleazy American lounge singer. Can Ralph measure up to the job, even with the help of loyal aristocrat Willingham?"

I don't understand what on earth brought Peter O'Toole and John Hurt into this catastrophe. And from I recall, Joely Richardson's character was dubbed by speaking in a manly voice.

• Like 1

I don't understand what on earth brought Peter O'Toole into this catastrophe.

Club Paradise and High Spirits?

• Like 2

This movie is pretty rough if you genuinely like the actors involved. The studio made some pretty silly promotional items for it, some of which popped up on eBay about two years back (I assume from someone's weird ass personal collection that they were forced to part with).

I almost bid on a deck of playing cards that alternated between scenes from the movie and John in king drag. I tried to find pictures from the auctions and stumbled across this old blurb from Entertainment Weekly:

It’s not exactly Royal Doulton but then Ralph Jones (John Goodman) is not your average monarch. In Universal’s just-released movie King Ralph, Goodman is a Vegas lounge singer and graduate of the Pacific Coast School of Diesel Mechanics and Cosmetology who ascends to England’s throne.

To celebrate his coronation, the studio issued a deluge of promotional commemorative items, among them an engraved invitation that plays ”Rule, Britannia” when opened, a Ralph coin (”In Ralph We Trust”), Ralph stamps, a ”Pimplex Royal Family Guide to Ralph,” and — what else — a genuine plastic Ralph Plate replete with a family crest that includes dancing girls, playing cards, and dice. Two thousand packages containing all of the above were sent to members of the media. Lucky us.

Anyway, here's a sound clip button that I assume says something 'funny' when pressed.

s-l500.jpg

Sign in to follow this