Episode 1 - Julie Klausner, Chris Gethard

14 replies to this topic

#1 Caroline Anderson

Earwolf Incarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:57 PM

Welcome to the first episode of The Fogelnest Files! Jake Fogelnest has scoured the Internet and his personal archives for cool stuff to show you. This first episode was recorded live at UCBEAST as part of the CBGB Festival with special guests Julie Klausner and Chris Gethard! Jake, Julie, and Chris have a civilized discussion about Punk rock by watching a series of clips which include; a tape faced Sex Pistols fan, Jello Biafra explaining the Beastie Boys to Oprah, an infomercial for a hardcore Punk CD compilation, The Ramones on Regis and Kathie Lee, and FEAR’s legendary performance on “Saturday Night Live.” Tweens enter at your own risk.

#2 Jake Fogelnest

Presented in 70mm

• Administrators
  • 183 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:11 PM

If you're looking to see the clips we showed in this episode, a YouTube playlist is right HERE!

#3 nascartween

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:18 AM

hell yeah man, punk rock.

This is great!

#4 strit johnson

Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationColumbus, OH

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:14 AM

This is GREAT. Keep it up please!

#5 ApathyMonger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:48 AM

Really enjoyed the episode. Looking forward to the next one already.

#6 foamyandgreen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:24 PM

Wasn't sure what to expect. I'm really glad I checked it out. The show was really well done. Count me in for the next one! Thanks!

#7 Bucho

Women sense my power

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • LocationThe Future, aka Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:59 PM

This episode floated my boat.

In a good way.
"When I'm in the mood for the best movie reviews I watch Bucho's Road Reviews." - God

#8 jughead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:19 AM

Nothing says punk rock like Erasure.

#9 Jenny

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationChattanooga

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:40 PM

This podcast needs to be more than once a month.
Nice work, Jake.

#10 Corky Kneivel

Mezmo the Mezterious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationSacramento Comedy Spot

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:48 PM

Really really cool podcast, I loved it. Chris Gethard, not only a fantastic improviser, talks with the most infectious inflection.

#11 Lemon Session

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:12 PM

Holy shit this was one of my favorite podcasts ever! The content alone makes me love life.

First off, about Anal Cunt -- everyone should read this:
http://thelivingdoor...eth-putnam.html

Second, the one thing I was surprised that you didn't mention after playing the Fear on SNL clip was the fact that if the Fear gig had gone well, Black Flag was scheduled to play the following week.

And then I wanted to ask Jake: have you heard about New Wave Theater? There's a great book all about it and the guy behind it, Peter Ivers, who also wrote the Lady in the Radiator song for Eraserhead, "In Heaven, Everything Thing Is Fine."

Here's a great sample of the show, which would appear on Night Flight. It's a performance by the creators of "Rape Rock," the Mentors (I think their biggest hit was "Woman from Sodom").

If you don't like the music, skip to the last 2 minutes to see a sweet, WWF-like rant from El Duce.

#12 Lemon Session

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:15 PM

Con't:

It should be noted that after Peter Ivers was mysteiously killed in his LA loft, they tried to take the show nationally with Chevy Chase hosting. Here's a newscast where near the end, they show how his taping went:

#13 Corky Kneivel

Mezmo the Mezterious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationSacramento Comedy Spot

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:05 PM

TOTALLY FORGOT to say that I remember seeing the Fear performance on Comedy Central in the early-to-mid 90s when they re-ran 30 minute SNLs. It would always be 2 sketches, 1 song, 1 sketch, end. Don't know what the fuck I was doing watching a Doumainan era episode, but I vividly remember loving the song and losing my shit when I realized the lead singer was Lee Ving aka Mr. Boddy from Clue"

#14 Patrick LeJeune

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:24 PM

During the Fear clip, that is Ian Mackaye of Minor Threat and Fugazi along with other bands yelling "New York Sucks!!!"
In John Joseph's (singer of the Cro-Mags) autobiography "The Evolution of a Cro-Magnon" he goes into great detail about being at that taping

#15 Jake Fogelnest

Presented in 70mm

• Administrators
  • 183 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:39 AM

View PostPatrick LeJeune, on 07 December 2012 - 03:24 PM, said:

During the Fear clip, that is Ian Mackaye of Minor Threat and Fugazi along with other bands yelling "New York Sucks!!!"
In John Joseph's (singer of the Cro-Mags) autobiography "The Evolution of a Cro-Magnon" he goes into great detail about being at that taping

Yup! Here's John talking about it...