🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 43.5 — Minisode 43.5

Our next selection for How Did This Get Made? is a movie so bad we forgot it existed. This movie is the complete opposite of the original and boasts a 0% on Rotten Tomatoes. We also answer some important listener questions and this time it’s personal. Plus, we announce the winners of the Summer Movie League! Be sure to join us for How Did This Get Made? LIVE at Bumbershoot this weekend in Seattle!

God this movie sucked. From a roaring shark with a personal vendetta to an ending where someone everyone survives even though one person was basically eaten by a shark that later blew up from being STABBED BY A BOAT! And let's not forget the strobe light that makes sharks go crazy.

Also I can't wait for those live shows that were announced, especially for Super Mario Bros. That movie was insane, even when I saw it in theaters at five years old.

And I should have joined the league right when it came online like some others did, that way I could have picked every huge movie from this summer and topped the list rather be ranked 77th with flops like Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter, though I think that could easily be a future episode.

Please, for the love of god, get Howard Kremer to be the guest on this episode.

I want to see how his love of Jaws stands up to this crapfest.

• Like 3

Delgo is absolutely on Amazon Instant, and you guys should totally watch it. It's a terrible movie, and it is absolutely a deserving target of your hatred.

Interesting choice with a lot of fun tidbits to mess around with. After all, this was the movie that prevented Michael Caine from picking up his Oscar for Hannah and Her Sisters. He couldn't make it to the ceremony because he was busy filming this turkey and driving his money truck to the money truck repository. Also, this was the last movie made by Lorraine Gary, who just so happened to be Mrs. Sidney Sheinberg, the long time head of Universal and Steven Spielberg's mentor, when she was cast in the original Jaws.

Ironically: being Mrs. Sidney Sheinberg also requires regularly driving a money truck to the money truck repository.

Also wanted to mention that I am a new listener who just found this podcast last week, and I am hooked like a killer shark already. Hands down one of the funniest podcasts I've ever listened to.

I don't remember what the taglines for the other "Jaws" films were, but I'd like to think it was something like...

Jaws 2: "It's strictly business"

Jaws 3: "OK, we're trying to keep this professional here, but really dude, that was uncalled for. I mean, my feelings got hurt a little bit, and I'm not quite sure it WASN'T a direct jab at me as a shark..."

Hey, I've been in AT LEAST one movie that you guys have reviewed ("Abduction") and have some behind-the-scenes stories that pertain to THAT specific film! I'm not the one that asked the "Can I be a guest" question, but technically, that makes me more of an authority than a lot of the guests you HAVE had! Sure, they might have a little more name value than me (OK, a lot. In fact, way more...), but if you guys ever decide to do "One For the Money"...

I can see it now, Paul in "Doubtfire Begins"!

"Delgo" holds the distinction of holding the record for least-attended film in the history of my theater at exactly ZERO. Ice Cube's "The Glass Shield" was the previous record holder with a total of one customer. More people paid to see "Creature", "Marcie X", "Black Water of Echoes Pond", and "Undiscovered". Yeah, look them up...

In closing, "Yur thuh Zizeez, and uhm thuh kyoor....".

The NES video game Jaws was based on this terrible movie. I wasted so much of 1987 trying to jab that stupid shark with that damn boat's bow. I could have been playing something worthwhile. Go to hell Jaws: The Revenge!

I haven't seen this one, but I love this line from the Ebert review:

"Here are some things, however, that I do not believe: That Mrs. Brody could be haunted by flashbacks to events where she was not present and that, in some cases, no survivors witnessed..."

• Like 1

In case anyone is unfamiliar with the roaring shark. The shark can also stand straight up in the water (who knew?) and appears roughly 40 feet long. It's also worth noting that Mrs. Brody is flashing back to events she never saw. Oh, this movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqiWWmAEfTA

• Like 1

And Michael Caine's famous quote: "I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific!"

• Like 1

"Delgo" holds the distinction of holding the record for least-attended film in the history of my theater at exactly ZERO. Ice Cube's "The Glass Shield" was the previous record holder with a total of one customer. More people paid to see "Creature", "Marcie X", "Black Water of Echoes Pond", and "Undiscovered". Yeah, look them up...

As a matter of fact, it had the worst opening weekend of all time for a wide release film. It came out in 2160 theaters, and it made about $500,000. Overall, it made a total of $694,782 on a budget of $40,000,000.

As a matter of fact, it had the worst opening weekend of all time for a wide release film. It came out in 2160 theaters, and it made about $500,000. Overall, it made a total of $694,782 on a budget of $40,000,000.

More important than all of that, it's the movie that killed Anne Bancroft. Man, is THAT ever an indication of how long a movie sat on the shelf, when it features the work of someone that had been dead for three and a half years already...and of course Freddie Prinze Jr. in the lead.

I'm looking at the cast list for Delgo and am surprised at how many names I recognize in a movie that I had never heard of. Freddie Prinze Jr., Jennifer Love Hewitt, Ann Bancroft, Chris Kattan, Val Kilmer, Malcom McDowell, Louis Gossett Jr., Michael Clark Duncan, Kelly Ripa, and Burt Reynolds all starred in this hunk of crap. This is just like Doogal, another animated flick with a packed cast (two different ones for US and UK releases) that flopped miserably. It just goes to show that you can make a animated movie that can flop in spite of an all star cast.

• Like 1

Back to Jaws... I kind of feel like most of Michael Caine's scenes were written on the day of shooting. How many nonsense monologues does he have in this movie? It's like if he was paid for the day, they just kept rolling on him, talking random stories, as long as a writer could feed him lines, in order to get the maximum value out of their one big-name actor.

Back to Jaws... I kind of feel like most of Michael Caine's scenes were written on the day of shooting. How many nonsense monologues does he have in this movie?

"Some sharks can't be reasoned with. Some sharks just want to watch the world burn."

• Like 1

In case anyone is unfamiliar with the roaring shark. The shark can also stand straight up in the water (who knew?) and appears roughly 40 feet long. It's also worth noting that Mrs. Brody is flashing back to events she never saw. Oh, this movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqiWWmAEfTA

Holy crap. That is just pure shite

Sign in to follow this