🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Bedlam

Monkeybone (2001)

I can see that as they have similar aesthetics. Isn't it amazing that after the success of Who Framed Roger Rabbit that all of the subsequent attempts at making another live action/cartoonesque movies have failed fantastically. From Cool World to Monkeybone to Looney Tunes: Back In Action have nowhere near the success of Roger Rabbit. The only one that really got close was Space Jam, though that hasn't aged as well as Roger Rabbit.

It wasnt a movie but Toonstruck was a very fun adventure game.

Please PLEASE do Monkeybone at some point. This flick is as batshit crazy as a film can be. Who was the target audience? Feels like a family film but it is waaaaay too dark. What was the theme? Beware creating evil monkeys? And why was Rose McGowan a cat lady? And then there's the whole Chris Kattan thing mentioned multiple times above. WTF?!

• Like 1

$75M BUDGET!!!

To be fair, Chris Kataan did cost a lost to get on screen at that time.

• Like 1

I have to say I really do like the animation and artistic direction of the nightmare world. This isn't a good movie by any stretch of the imagination, but I would really be interested to hear their take on this.

Brenden Fraser is a cartoonist in a coma, trapped in his own cartoon. Monkeybone (voiced by John Turturro) is trying to stop him by getting to Brenden's body first. Brenden must then take over Chris Katan's body but Woopi Goldberg doesnt like that.

I was 11 when this movie came out. My parents thought it was a kids movie and took my sister and I to see it. it traumatized us. 

monkeybone-movie-poster.jpg

• Haha 1

Back in high school, my friend group would pick one movie each month to see together at the theater. We always kept things pretty even, but one outing I was the odd gal out and was forced into paying for a movie I definitely did not want to see (Save the Last Dance). To balm my wounds they agreed that I and I alone would pick the next month's movie. I picked this one. We drifted apart as friends before the end of that school year.

• Haha 1

I was in highly school when this movie came out. I remember one thing from the TV spots: It had Monkeybone dancing around to The Offspring’s “Come Out and Play” kinda cartoonishly.

Well I liked The Offspring, cartoonishness, monkeys, and especially wacky monkeys, so it looked pretty awesome to me.

But then I started noticing how many movie trailers/TV spots said almost nothing about the movie got into a personal small obsession with the topic. Were those movies so bad that they were trying to hide their plot? (Answer: Sometimes). Then the reviews started rolling in and I found out not to come near it.

• Like 1