🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Gym Sockerman

Women in the Arts!

On the most recent Gams-cast the subject of women getting unfair treatment in the arts world was broached.

I did some personal examining. I'd say that in my comedy world, women are just as numerous as men. My music world is dominated by them. But my literary world is very sparsely populated by women (I have some Margaret Atwood, Amy Hempel, and Flannery O'Connor [and JK Rowling, but I prefer more literary authors]).

That fact doesn't sit well with me. So I'd like some suggestions for female authors that really really blow your minds.

And I'd also like it if this thread became a place for other people to make requests to fill the lady-less voids in their artistic worlds.

• Like 1

Pretty cool idea. I don't really read books but maybe I'll check out what other people are enjoying for suggestions for you and might even consider reading myself (I probably will never finish a book written by male or female haha).

Carson McCullers!! Especially if you get into Flannery O'Connor. Her stuff is of a similar vintage (she died in the '60s) and quite excellent. She is one of my absolute favorites.

You could start with her masterpiece, The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter, or go with a collection of her short stories. Her writing can hook you either way.

Sign in to follow this