Episode 111 — Add 5 and Figure it Out

48 replies to this topic

#1 Earwolf Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:03 PM

Adam Carolla is a guest on today's show and the stories he has will blow your mind. He’s got amazing sports stories which include, Darryl Strawberry’s first home-run, his skirmish with a coach during a Celebrity Hardball game and how his love of boxing lead him to meet Jimmy Kimmel. We also hear about Adam’s path which took him from helping build his own sketch group to working as a carpenter to becoming  a co-host on Loveline. Plus, we welcome first timer to the show, Joe Walsh, to give the guys some tips on where to go in Cleveland. IMPORTANT: Unfortunately, there was a sound issue in recording the first portion of this episode. It was a freak accident that could not have been caught, and we've done our best to rectify it as the content of this episode is simply too good not to release. We assure you that this is a 1 in 111 occurrence and is not representative of the sound quality you can expect from Sklarbro Country. Once again, our apologies.

#2 Joshie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:24 PM

Women aren't as funny as men. Everyone was thinking it, everyone came down too hard on Adam for saying it.Good to see a podcast that doesn't worry about tip-toeing around being P.C. and has the courage to talk to the Ace-Man.

#3 gle urg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:41 AM

Not true, Joshie! Believe it or not, humor isn't restricted by gender, and your shitty opinion isn't shared by everyone. That ugly business aside, this was a great episode. The audio problems weren't nearly as bad as I had expected, it was totally listenable! I loved it.

#4 benhertz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:41 AM

Video of Bernie's 1st pitch:

#5 Chester

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationOblivion

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:59 AM

View PostJoshie, on 06 September 2012 - 11:24 PM, said:

Women aren't as funny as men. Everyone was thinking it, everyone came down too hard on Adam for saying it.Good to see a podcast that doesn't worry about tip-toeing around being P.C. and has the courage to talk to the Ace-Man.

Oh dear.

#6 Syme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 07 September 2012 - 03:54 AM

View PostJoshie, on 06 September 2012 - 11:24 PM, said:

Yeah thank God we have Carolla to say what nobody else had dared to say. Oh wait it's a hack opinion, that people don't think or say any more because most people have progressed.

I really hate when people with prejudiced, bigoted views make the assumption that others shares their shitty views. Don't include me in your sexism.

Not listened to this episode yet, so I can't comment on how Adam comes across in it.

#7 neverconservtve

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 04:34 AM

Wow really low quality on the Carolla episode, oh, and the sound was bad too.

#8 jklmr123

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:09 AM

I loved the celebrity baseball story, he is a good storyteller... But "the gays at old navy can't do the job". You have to be kidding me. The sklars were doing their best to be political about it, but he is just sad and angry from his family. Again, he is a douchebag, but occasionally an entertaining douchebag so I can see why they had him on. And the Sklars have in the past defended every comic to say whatever they want regardless of its implication- so it is consistent. But please don't have Tosh or Cook only if they have a half-court contest story- bc they are just not worth it.

#9 Amy3125

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:27 AM

I couldn't care less about how Carolla feels about women in comedy debate, but this episode was exactly what I expected.

Carolla was marginally racist, marginally homophobic, marginally sexist, and only marginally funny.

Glad I'm not the only one underwhelmed by him.

#10 jughead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:39 AM

View Postbenhertz, on 07 September 2012 - 02:41 AM, said:

Video of Bernie's 1st pitch:

Does no one remember Terry Kiser from the movie "Side Out"?

#11 James Curle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:43 AM

Regarding the story about the celebrity football game and Jeff Blake, he played football at ECU and in the NFL with the Bengals (among other teams). Here's his bio:

http://www.ecupirate...jeff-blake.html

SHAMELESS PLUG (and I promise I didn't make this post solely for this plug): His college coach, Steve Logan, is now retired and joins us every week to talk college football on my podcast. He is AWESOME: http://www.riddickandreynolds.com/

#12 HeySwanSong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:19 AM

I get why people don't like Carolla's opinions (I disagree with a lot of them myself), but I don't see how people say he isn't funny. On an objective level, he is just quicker than the good majority of other comics, some of the Loveline clips on Youtube are the among the funniest things I've ever heard.

#13 Julia Hays

Earwolf Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey native. New to Los Angeles.

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:25 AM

Joe Walsh making up lyrics to Ohio and singing along to his own guitar solos had me in tears. Chris Cox is consistently hilarious!
I write inappropriate things on Twitter - @JuliaEveHays.

#14 Luke HENDERSON!

AKA Luke Henderson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:05 AM

In fairness to Adam, I thought what he said was, 'there aren't as many funny women, as there are men'. At least that is how he explained it later on. I don't agree with probably 90% of his opinions, but he is funny. However, I do wish some of his more socially conscious friends would call him on some of his stuff (like the racism, sexism, homophobia) and get a real debate going with him. As it is, they just let it slide.

#15 R-Sygnal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:27 AM

28:50 "...there's a Hollywood...Jewish, gay, and chick connection...", Adam Carrolla has shown to be homophobic, sexist and ignorant- but this gem in a SINGLE sentence? He's your typical hack comedian who saturates his lack of content, cleverness and insight with sensationalist forays whose sole purpose is to make a splash, b/c without shock value, he's got nothing. First Jason Biggs, then Adam Carrolla, now what cultured intellectual is next...Dennis Miller?

#16 Chalkdust

Not just any nobody!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • LocationIrvine, CA

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:28 AM

View PostR-Sygnal, on 07 September 2012 - 09:27 AM, said:

First Jason Biggs, then Adam Carrolla, now what cultured intellectual is next...Dennis Miller?

Ooh! Ooh! Victoria Jackson. She's been a sad revelation in the past few years.
Tell Me About It
- - - - - - - - - - - -
@gregjhansen

#17 bdavids

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:30 AM

Great episode SuperSklars! Good stories, nice debut for Chris Cox playing Joe Walsh, would love to hear him again...and Carolla was hilarious. I don't quite understand all the hate and intolerance for Adam on this board but oh well, haters gonna hate I suppose. :)

#18 scozzie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:45 AM

View Postbdavids, on 07 September 2012 - 10:30 AM, said:

...I don't quite understand all the hate and intolerance for Adam...

"Why are you being so intolerant of my racism/sexism/homophobia?"

That one is my favorite!

#19 bdavids

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:59 AM

What I meant is, tolerance goes both ways, as it is unfair to rip someone who has different beliefs that you do, while claiming tolerance yourself. I am moderate but I would like to see fairness and civility from all sides.

#20 Luke HENDERSON!

AKA Luke Henderson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 07 September 2012 - 11:50 AM

What kind of weird circular logic is that? Hey! If someone is intolerant you have to be tolerant of them to show you aren't intolerant! We're not trying to figure out some 'time-travel paradox thing'. Once you fire the first shot, you're open game.