tim atkin

Your favorite non earwolf podcasts?

I am super loving Alton Brown's new podcast. It's part Good Eats, part interview a food person. It's like Food Made it Weird.

• Like 1

Anyone listen to Greg Proops' The Smartest Man in the World?

I haven't heard any, but would like to check it out. Any specific episode recommendations to get me hooked?

i'm gonna fall on the negative side when it comes to this podcast, i dont hate it i just think if you listen to a few you pretty much get the idea, i like greg proops he's funny and he certainly has an execptional way with words but his personality and charisma can only really carry his thing, which mostly amount to him rabbling on about the same 4 things everytime, so far, in my opinon. i liked it alot at first but quickly got bored with it.

do you like weed, baseball, middle class liberal politics, and aging hipsters pining for the good ol days? then you'll probably love it, but that all you'll ultimately hear about.

that said, greg proops film club episodes, which don't happen to often are all really great.

I'd list shit i like but they've all been covered already todd glass, best show, etc.

Can't believe that no-one has yet mentioned The Bugle. What is wrong with you people? Also, WTF, Doug Loves Movies, Dining with Doug and Karen, Superego, New Yorker: Fiction, and a bunch of Philosophy podcasts.

James Bonding might be my new favorite thing. I <3 Matt Gourley, and the 001 episode of PFT talking about Dr. No was terrific.

James Bonding might be my new favorite thing. I <3 Matt Gourley, and the 001 episode of PFT talking about Dr. No was terrific.

Yeah, I'm not a huge Bond fan so I've only listened to the PFT one and the Skyfall one, but they're a lot of fun. I'm really looking forward to the upcoming episode with Alie & Georgia doing Goldfinger (which they apparently hated).

From the Nerdist site:

Nerdist

Mike and Tom Eat Snacks (when they do one)

James Bonding

Ding Donger With Matt Broungher

Alton Browncast

From the ACE Network:

Adam Carolla Podcast

This Week With Larry Miller

Others:

Hollywood Babble-On

Smartest Man in the Room w/Greg Proops

Doug Loves Movies

Comedy Film Nerds

WTF

Comic Geek Speak

me too, they're enthusiasm is infectious, i was never the biggest James Bond fan but hearing people talk with so much passion and detail about them and all the interesting stuff going on in films and behind the scenes has made me start becoming obsessed.

anyone with Netflix should check out the documentary Everything or Nothing about the history and making of the James Bond franchise, its pretty new and covers everything up though Skyfall, it's fantastic and a really fasinating insight into the background of Fleming and the Broccoli's and the history of it all.

Another that surprisingly hasn't been mentioned. It's a must-hear for me. Not comedy, but science.

The Skeptics Guide to the Universe (SGU) is about science and logical thinking. It's a very entertaining show, they do have fun and make some jokes but mostly it's discussion of science news. A great listen.

The Dead Authors Podcast, Mister Douglas Benson Loves Movies, The Smartest Man in the World with Greg Proops, Mike and Tom Eat Snacks, Dining With Doug and Karen, and The Bugle, though I'm slightly less intense about it than that guy up there ^_^. Just heard about James Bonding on a back episode of Comedy Film Nerds and it sounds like a great listen. Cannot wait for The Living Daylights... Teddy bear assassins, cargo plane fights, all part of Bonds heroic struggle to help the mujahedeen of Afghanistan defeat the red menace.

The Nerdist, What's New With Christian Spicer, Stuff You Should Know, Nerdist Writers Panel.

If Harmontown continues to feature Mitch Hurwitz as well as my boy Kumail and the other regulars it's going to jump to number one on my FNEP list.

Does anyone listen to any of the SMODcast stuff? I like Kevin Smith but never bothered checking any out until tonight. It seems a bit overwhelming with the amount of podcasts and episodes on his network.

Can someone give me a bit of breakdown on a couple and maybe a jumping off point? Thanks.

Does anyone listen to any of the SMODcast stuff? I like Kevin Smith but never bothered checking any out until tonight. It seems a bit overwhelming with the amount of podcasts and episodes on his network.

Can someone give me a bit of breakdown on a couple and maybe a jumping off point? Thanks.

I was a huge Kevin Smith fan and regular listener of SMODcast for its first three years. I dug the rapid-fire banter between Kevin and Mosier and their insights into the movie-making process. Then Kevin got heavily into weed, and every episode became a retread of the same topics (smoking weed, sucking dick, being fat, and Nazis.) After a while, I decided the show was no longer for me.

Substitute: FEaB, a show featuring Mosier and Nerdist's own Matt Mira. More rapid-fire conversations and personal anecdotes, less Kevin laughing uncontrollably at his own jokes.

Tell 'em Steve-Dave followed the same trajectory. A group of Kevin's friends with lots of funny stories about growing up in New Jersey, running the Secret Stash, etc. The stories eventually ran out and the show devolved into Brian Quinn trying to prop up two middle-aged curmudgeons with anger/substance abuse/race/gender issues.

Substitute: The Tenderloins Podcast, an irregularly-scheduled show featuring Quinn and the rest of the guys from Impractical Jokers. More entertaining friendship stories, less bile.

The only SmodCo show I now listen to regularly is Get Up On This, where guests come on to introduce the audience to new and obscure music/movies/TV/etc. Find an episode with your favorite comedian as an entry point. They're pretty much all good, although the ones with Meg Myers are hilariously weird.

• Like 1

Thanks a bunch Dan. I'll definitely check out some early, early SMODcast episodes and FEaB.

I had heard about Smith kind of losing it with his newly found weed habit. I saw him doing a Q&A in 2007 and he said he didn't like drugs at all, saw what it did to Jay, and wasn't into the idea... Then a few years later he kind of went off the deep end (yeah I know there's worse things than weed), but he didn't need it to be creative and funny, and from the outside it seems like he had a bit of a midlife crisis. I know he mentioned not ever wanting to direct anything again at one point.

I just hope that Clerks 3 turns out well despite whatever changes he's made in his life. I love the first two, and Jeff Anderson is reclusive, so we may never get to see him in another movie after this.

I'm a comic nerd, so I listen to Kevin's Fatman on Batman. Kevin sits down with all people that make Batman; be it writers, animators, artists, voice actors. It's a fun show.

Another show I'm enjoying is Go Bayside! April Richardson brings fun to Saved By the Bell with a special guest as they dissect an episode per show.

Welcome to Nightvale, Dead author podcast, stuff you missed in history class, and tales from lake wobegon

I listen to Marc Maron's WTF whenever he has a good guest on. I've been dabbling in some of the Nerdist podcasts based on guests. The titular one, Todd Glass, Pete Holmes, Indoor Kids.

Also, I'm glad someone mentioned April Richardson's Saved by the Bell podcast--Go Bayside(http://gobayside.tumblr.com) Its pretty awesome for anybody that, like me, grew up watching that 2 hour block of Saved by the Bell every afternoon after school. It sort of reminds you of "How Did This Get Made" but for Saved by the Bell. Its a great excuse to go back and watch the series on Netflix. And April Richardson is delightful. Plus, she's had some pretty great guests on there. Howard Kremer's been on twice. Paul F. Tompkins has been on. And probably the best guest she's had on is Jimmy Pardo. He's done it twice. And what's really great is that Pardo was a fan of the show. He talks about being on the road doing comedy and how he used to watch Saved by the Bell in his hotel rooms. I was dying laughing when he was on there talking about how they should've just cut Screech's head off with a band saw after screwing up the U2 tickets again and again.

The Ricky Gervais Show (I know Gervais is a divisive fellow, but I'm appalled that no one mentioned it)

It's That Episode with Craig Rowin is a great one for fans of HDTGM? and Go Bayside!

One that I listen to weekly that I haven't seen mentioned yet is "Good Job, Brain" which is a trivia-esque podcast made up of four members of a pub trivia team in SF. They have a topic like "The Outdoors", "Fatherhood" or "Up In The Air" each week where each member of the group will devise some interesting stories or a quizes that, sometimes loosely, fit in with the topic. Every fifth episode is an all quiz bonanza where each person just brings quizes. Other than the Earowolf Podcasts and probably Harmontown, it's my favorite.

even though it's hard to find time to listen anymore: Call Chelsea Peretti. I do like how nonregular it is so it does make it easy to catch up