🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 2 — White People Using The N-Word

Yo, what up race cars! Today we are joined by Howard Kremer to discuss if white people using the N-word is racist. Call 323-389-7223 and leave us a voicemail if you want to ask us if something is racist. No robots please.

Not to be indelicate, but this question is like the Poster Boy of Yo is this Racism. No, you can't say that shit if you're white. The fuck is wrong with you.

Not to be indelicate, but this question is like the Poster Boy of Yo is this Racism. No, you can't say that shit if you're white. The fuck is wrong with you.

On that note, I'm glad they got the biggun out of the way early, to pave the way for more nuanced and bizarre questions!

• Like 1

Awesome show. I love Howard's comparison to running up on a sexy lady, "if you do what you want you might catch a beatdown!"

The bottom line is why does somebody need to say it, anyway? Like whether or not you're "allowed" to use that word, -er or-a, what compels a white guy (any guy, really) to feel that's the word he needs to use at a given moment?

Fun little twist, if you feel the need to rap along with songs that use it, substitute the word "dragon." I've gotten to the point where even listening along in real time to Dead Prez songs, I hear "dragon" instead of what they actually use. It's fun!

• Like 1

The bottom line is why does somebody need to say it, anyway? Like whether or not you're "allowed" to use that word, -er or-a, what compels a white guy (any guy, really) to feel that's the word he needs to use at a given moment?

Fun little twist, if you feel the need to rap along with songs that use it, substitute the word "dragon." I've gotten to the point where even listening along in real time to Dead Prez songs, I hear "dragon" instead of what they actually use. It's fun!

...I do the same thing but with "bagel."

...I do the same thing but with "bagel."

I would be interesting to see a list of a the words people substitute for for the n-word. I tend to go with, "sucker," is that racist?

• Like 1

Sub ninja If you have to for the sake of syllables. Same sound only it's a compliment! And yes, there's no reason to call anyone the n word. It's 2012.

P.s. Is ninja racist if the person isn't of Japanese descent?

I was a little disappointed that they didn't talk about other races using the n word especially since Andrew could provide his own insight on Asians using the word.

• Like 1

P.s. Is ninja racist if the person isn't of Japanese descent?

It would definitely be racist if you ONLY use "ninja" when the person is of Japanese descent, that's for sure.

I was a little disappointed that they didn't talk about other races using the n word especially since Andrew could provide his own insight on Asians using the word.

I noticed that, too, and thought maybe they just didn't want to wade into those waters (is that a phrase...?). Even the caller pointed out his own Hispanic/Latino heritage but specified white people in a way that made me wonder if he felt comfortable using it, himself. It's a moot point if the caller was a robot, as robots cannot be blamed for their programmed speech.

• Like 1

The other day at a park here in Denver, I was shocked by a group of white/Latino kids, proably age 9-12, all pretty much screaming it at each other. I kept looking around expecting someone to stop them. I think there is no fear behind it anymore. We need SHAFT to show up places and just assault people.

• Like 3

We need SHAFT to show up places and just assault people.

might be the single greatest sentence I've seen on an Earwolf board.

We need SHAFT to show up places and just assault people.

...is THAT racist?

Wait. People of other races can't do it either. I don't get why people think that would be okay.

Can't do what?

I won't hit quote on Cellar Door's giant block of text, but CD: Nope! There wasn't a debate for you to end. I deleted a long rambling reply because I feel embarrassed clogging up the boards with a block of text, but you're at least incorrect about the motivations for subbing one word for another. And I get the feeling you're a fan of the "Why isn't there a WHITE Entertainment Television channel?" argument. I don't think you're a racist, I just get the feeling you want to seem edgy and intellectual, as evidenced by your need to give demographic information that lends nothing to your arguments.

"I am going to use some Aristotelian logic here." Haha, I love when you know somebody is about to say a bunch of dumbass bullshit from their first sentence.

I think Andrew Ti himself put it nicely on his blog "Any time someone starts trying to tell you who the real racist is, it's them."

• Like 1

@Cellar Door, a more articulate response, from the excellent book "Why are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria? and Other Conversations About Race", by Beverly Tatum:

When I am asked, "Can people of color be racist?" I reply, "The answer depends on your definition of racism." If one defines racism as racial prejudice, the answer is yes. People of color can and do have personal prejudices. However, if one defines racism as a system of advantages based on race, the answer is no. People of color are not racist because they do not systematically benefit from racism. And equally important, there is no cultural and institutional support or sanction for the racial bigotry of people of color. In my view, reserving the term racist only for behaviors committed by Whites in the context of a White-dominated society is a way of acknowledging the ever-present power differential afforded Whites by the culture and institutions that make up the system of advantage and continue to reinforce notions of White superiority.
  • Like 1

The problem with your precious "Aristotelian logic" is that it useless when trying to analyze complex social issues because it completely ignores context. That's why racists are so fond of that form of reasoning, it treats history as if it's irrelevant and dismisses any and all sociological impact.

Your so-called "axioms" are also a pile of rubbish.

1. Racism is being unfavorable to another race? Right off the bat you have no idea what you're talking about, you can't even define racism properly.

2. According to you, challenging a person of privilege's actions is "treating them unfavorably"? That's very convenient for racists!

3. There goes "unfavorable" again. I don't understand how it favors white people to say the n-word, or how anything of substance is being taken away from them at all. Furthermore, white people always have and always will be able to say WHATEVER THE FUCK THEY WANT TO SAY, if anyone else having an opinion about it is treating them "unfavorably" then... well... that's some bullshit right there.

4. Your shit's weak son.

It's very cute how you thought you ended the debate about racism, 21yr old white guy from the streets, but no such luck.

• Like 1

thestray: I think Andrew Ti himself put it nicely on his blog "Any time someone starts trying to tell you who the real racist is, it's them."

Wow, so then the NAACP putting out lists of the white supremacy groups are really racist themselves by your backwards ass logic.

Think before you type dude. So fucking dumb.

Is that what you took from that quote? Haha.

Sign in to follow this