🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 46 — Barb Wire

Fans of gratuitous side boob are in luck as we discuss Barb Wire on today’s How Did This Get Made! America’s Radio Sweetheart Jesse Thorn joins us to talk about Barb’s wardrobe being full of black leather bustiers, Big Fatso’s amazing performance, and how this movie is a rip-off of Casablanca. Plus, we cover the crotch biting dog, prostitute medical cards, and steel bikini torture.

June, never speak to an Australian man if you don't want to be called babe.

If anybody ever called me 'babe' I would absolutely take it to mean that they're calling me a hero pig.

• Like 4

The fact that several people in the unoccupied zone brought out their luxury sailboats during the final battle stood out to me.

steel-city.png

• Like 2

This is the movie that partly killed the box office potential of "MST3K the Movie". For that grievous sin I will never forgive it and refuse to ever watch it, even ironically. I will have to 'settle' for this entertaining run-through. Great show guys, Jesse was a great guest!

• Like 2

Loving the catchphrases in this one:

"Stone Cold Dum-Dum"

"Famous Boob-Haver"

Also, from imdb:

The entire "Don't call me, Babe" leitmotif of Barb Wire comes from the original advertising for the Barb Wire Dark Horse comic book, in which she said those words to differentiate herself from a buxom, slightly airy comic book heroine named Babe by John Byrne.

this movie is proof of the slogan "It's not a tit until you see a nip."

That reminds me of another saying regarding sex scenes in movies: "Tits, or it didn't happen."

• Like 1

I was of the camp that felt the past few episodes have felt a little...off, for some reason (mostly due to the guests, like Kevin Smith spending thirty minutes talking about Kevin Smith, or Doug Benson spending zero minutes talking about anything) but this episode was absolutely fantastic, one that I'm already looking forward to re-listening to.

June was especially entertaining in this one. I just re-listened to the Catwoman episode the other day, and I don't think I've appreciated until now what a genuinely unique perspective she brings to the show. She does exactly what a good critic is supposed to do--she tries to like the movies she's watching. Even on a show built on watching terrible movies, she doesn't want them to be terrible. She tries to understand what they were going for, where they went wrong, and how they could have avoided it.

June's awesome, is basically what I'm trying to say.

• Like 6

Does anyone find it odd that June and Paul never seem to watch the films together? As far as I know they are married, and, I'm going to assume, live together.

Does anyone find it odd that June and Paul never seem to watch the films together? As far as I know they are married, and, I'm going to assume, live together.

I always just assumed they have better, more exciting rich people movie star things to do together than watch awful movies when they do find the time.

June was especially entertaining in this one. I just re-listened to the Catwoman episode the other day, and I don't think I've appreciated until now what a genuinely unique perspective she brings to the show. She does exactly what a good critic is supposed to do--she tries to like the movies she's watching. Even on a show built on watching terrible movies, she doesn't want them to be terrible. She tries to understand what they were going for, where they went wrong, and how they could have avoided it.

June's awesome, is basically what I'm trying to say.

I heartily concur. I love June's point of view on any/all of her podcast appearances, HDTM? especially, for all the reasons you just listed. When the guys get very passionate when dissecting aspects of a film to the point where they begin stepping on June's observations and not letting her finish voicing an opinion, it will absolutely get me antsy. She is very, very patient, and she gets in there with the best of them to be heard for sure. She's also dealing with some real characters in the forms of Paul and Jason. The guys were understandably riffing at the top their lungs about this ridiculous film starring a famous boob-haver, so it pleased me to no end that the guys consistently and conscientiously gave the floor back to June after acknowledging having interrupted her to manically and effectively tag up the many batshit moments of the film with their side-splitting commentary.

June had some great stuff to say about Barb Wire, and she actually made me want to watch Catwoman because of her appreciation for Berry's feline-inspired physicality.

June rules!

I always just assumed they have better, more exciting rich people movie star things to do together than watch awful movies when they do find the time.

They have a few times; they've mentioned it on the show. But they're also just busy working people with different schedules.

EDIT: I quoted the wrong person. My bad.

Thanks for clarifying guys. Last question: has Jason ever discussed his white shirt and why he always wears it? I saw him at La Poubelle the other night after a show at ucb and almost asked him about it (yes, he was wearing it), but he was eating dinner with a lady and the timing seemed less than optimal.

Thanks for clarifying guys. Last question: has Jason ever discussed his white shirt and why he always wears it? I saw him at La Poubelle the other night after a show at ucb and almost asked him about it (yes, he was wearing it), but he was eating dinner with a lady and the timing seemed less than optimal.

I assume it is something to do with his egg allergy? Yes, I feel that makes sense. Yes. Yeeeeessssss.

I'm a little confused. Did the gang watch a pg-13 cut?

I did a quick google image search and Pam is full on tits out (nipple and all) in many of the scenes that they commented on for lacking nudity.

The attempt to kill a character with a forklift is forever immortalised by MST3K.

Also watching Jason on NTSF:SD:SVU:: made me realise that his voice does not match his appearance. It just adds to the hilarity.

The attempt to kill a character with a forklift is forever immortalised by MST3K.

Also watching Jason on NTSF:SD:SVU:: made me realise that his voice does not match his appearance. It just adds to the hilarity.

Yes! This is all I could think of when they were discussing that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK2jFO_DaRQ

Sign in to follow this