🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 5 — Obscure MTV Moments

Liz Lee & Jake Fogelnest both had shows on MTV at a young age, so what better topic for them to discuss than MTV on this week’s in-studio episode of THE FOGELNEST FILES! Liz talks about how she ended up getting her own MTV show, why she wasn’t allowed to watch MTV as a kid, and how much of My Life as Liz was real. Jake & Liz discuss obscure MTV moments with a couple of clips which include; Jake’s favorite MTV show Just Say Julie, a celebrity edition of the game show Remote Control, Madonna’s 1990 commercial urging people to vote, and Wesley Willis’ first MTV appearance on Squirt TV.

Keep it up Jake! This show is sweet.

I grew up on 90s mtv, wow I forgot how different it was. Never saw Liz's show but I might have to go watch it now because the only thing that would make me want to turn on mtv right now is funny attractive women.

I love how uncomfortable Jake was when she was referring to his 17 year old self as "Hot Jake".

Also, still a gigantic fan of this show. I'm already dying for a t-shirt to come out already.

• Like 1

Liz Lee looks soooo stoned in the pics. I think she might have blazed before the show :)

What I really dig about this show is how varied it is. I would never have dreamed that there would be an episode devoted to people who had shows on MTV as teens. What a crazy interesting glimpse into that world. Of all the Earwolf shows this is the only one each week where I literally have no idea what to expect. What a fun feeling.

I feel so old hearing her say she watched Hostel 2 at 15.

By the way, why does that guy keep posting about the Iron Sky movie every week? Starting to get a little creepy.

What a blast from the past. I had completely forgotten that Jake was the kid from Squirt TV.

Julie Brown was hilarious. My family didn't get cable until 1994, but I have great middle-school memories of watching her in "The Edge" in '91-'92. She did a great bimbo, as seen in her Guns N Roses groupies bits she did with a pre-Friends Jennifer Aniston.

Great show Jake. This has already joined Comedy Bang Bang and How DId This Get Made in my top 5 podcasts.

Never saw Liz's show or really any MTV shows. That said this was a fascinating insight into MTV and some "important" moments from its history.

By the way, why does that guy keep posting about the Iron Sky movie every week? Starting to get a little creepy.

I think he's actually Scott Jeffries.

Aaaanyway...

This has quickly become one of my favorite podcasts as well. It seems sort of remarkable that someone could still come up with a podcast format that feels totally fresh, but I think Jake has done it. This episode was a great mix of clips and an interview/discussion with the guest blended together. I've never seen Liz's show and didn't know anything about it, but she seems like a perfectly well-adjusted young woman despite what sounds like a very weird experience for someone in their formative years (both the format of the show and all the ancillary stuff that comes with it). Also, as someone who was totally fascinated with Wesley Willis, I think it's pretty awesome that Jake 1) had him on his MTV show, and 2) chose that clip to represent the show on here.

• Like 2

Man, I used to live on MTV. I'm only 24 but I watched throughout the 90s. Shows like Liquid Television, The State, The Head, The Maxx, Aeon Flux, Beavis & Butthead, and later, Daria and Sifl & Olly were a huge part of growing up.

MTV was amazing to me. Everything felt adult; like a window a world I hadn't seen before. They were a hub of creativity with all of the MTV Station Idents and shorts. You'll never see that kind of situation on tv again. A cheap network looking for material wherever they could get it, and playing it on tv.

I ditched MTV pretty early in life because it just lost that feeling it once had. Videos became even more sparse, and it seemed like it became targeted to a demographic rather than a hodgepodge of cool stuff. I always hated Real World. TRL was garbage. And Woodstock '99? Excuse me while I vomit... They just went too commercial, which I get from a business standpoint.

----

I did happen to catch Liz's show one day around Thanksgiving a year or two ago. Not a huge fan, but it was enjoyable enough to make me wonder how it snuck onto the channel.

• Like 1

Little Jakey also had the Shawn Hunter.

tumblr_leenhzraoS1qcqrp3o1_500_large.png

"I'm just cute and fun to watch." - Jake Fogelnest, Too

• Like 3

Although I was old enough to be watching MTV in the 80s, my family didn't get cable until the late 90s. So my exposure to MTV was mostly limited to watching it at my grandparents' house or something.

Hey everyone!

Thank you for being so awesome on here. Liz has handled her MTV teen stuff with such grace. Way better than I did when I was her age! Glad you dug her as a guest!

Recording a new episode tomorrow with Eli Braden who is HILARIOUS and great. Fans of The Howard Stern Show will know him from his numerous song parodies about Robin's boobs. The topic for his episode is...

ROCK!!!!!!!

[media='']

[/media]
  • Like 4

Rick Derringer looks like a tired guitar baby.

Did anyone else watch every possible Squirt TV clip after listening to this ep?

• Like 3

Rick Derringer looks like a tired guitar baby.

Did anyone else watch every possible Squirt TV clip after listening to this ep?

Yup.

• Like 1

I used to only watch MTV for the "liquid television" cartoons and stuff.

Clone High was another awesome show.

As someone who never saw anything MTV this was an interesting learning experience and I actually went and looked up MTV history and show clips.

Aslo Young Jake is very handsome.

This episode is kinda old, but I just listened to it now. I never really think about MTV anymore, but I used to watch all the time back in the days of Liquid Television up to Celebrity Deathmatch. My favorite MTV "Events" were always the Rock N Jock games. Those were always cool. I did watch a couple of episodes of My Life As Liz and I thought it was an okay show.

Anyway, this episode was a fun little trip back through time.

Sign in to follow this