Episode 9 — Transcribing Into AAVE

8 replies to this topic

#1 Earwolf Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:00 PM

Yo, what up race cars and z-cast listeners! Jon Daly is here to figure out if it’s racist to transcribe conversations into African American Vernacular English with misspellings or is it racist to disregard these features and translate it to “proper” English. Ask us more academic questions at 323-389 RACE.

#2 Inthehallwaynow

the captain

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:55 AM

there is something joyous that comes over me when I hear people talking about whether scenarios are racist or not makes me laugh every time haha

#3 .....

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:30 AM

Why is it okay to write/transcibe in AAVE if its academic sociology/some famous creative person like David Simon and not in other cases? These hosts aren't the best at explaining the reasoning behind something & making it make sense

#4 GW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:38 AM

It seems like Andrew hates RaceCars. Male callers get insulted. Female callers get sexualized. Nice.

#5 jaimebee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:44 AM

I just want to give props to Ti for attempting to pull the plug on how seriously sexist that was getting for a minute there. I love Jon Daly, but yiiiikes.

#6 Luke HENDERSON!

AKA Luke Henderson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:48 AM

Still not clear on what the answer was and yeah, felt really creepy there for a bit.

#7 LemonDropKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationNashville

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:36 PM

Hey babe, is this sexist?

#8 Hot - Slunch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:38 PM

View PostJoshie, on 11 October 2012 - 06:30 AM, said:

Why is it okay to write/transcibe in AAVE if its academic sociology/some famous creative person like David Simon and not in other cases? These hosts aren't the best at explaining the reasoning behind something & making it make sense

I'm assuming they mean it like:

David Simon/Scripts - People speak that way, and if that's how you want your script to be read you have to write in slang.

Academia - There are plenty of ebonics/vernacular/slang classes, and classes that study how language changes over time. Slang in a class like that is very important.

In the case of a court stenographer, or an FBI intelligence conversation logger. They should write in proper English. It'd be a madhouse if you wrote in slang because there is no Webster's defined spelling for certain words, and 50 year old white cops/judges/etc. would have to read and understand what happened.

Personally, I don't believe typing a certain way can be racist.
Check out my podcast! A friend and I watch an old show and do some bits.

Newest episode: Applied Nostalgia - 106 - TRICK OR TREAT SPECIAL! (Meego and Emeril)

#9 klem_johansen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:59 AM

I would love to hear Yo Is this Sexist? but part of me thinks that the episodes would be 3 hours long. That part of me, of course, is horribly sexist. I am a terrible person.