🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 10 — Blackface

Yo, what up race cars and Friday heads! Today’s special guest Jon Daly joins Andrew Ti to discuss what is considered blackface on television today, why different countries accept blackface as part of their culture, dressing up as your favorite black hero for Halloween, and Jon’s Bill Cosby Bukowski character. If you want to ask us a question be sure to call 323-389 RACE. Peace out y’all!

My opinion:

Blackface is only racist if you're using it to mock black people. Robert Downey Junior in Tropic Thunder and Fred Armisen playing Obama is not racist.

If you think it is, then by that logic you must think it's racist for Eddie Murphy, the Wayans Bros. or Dave Chappelle to play white characters; Or some white guy like Chris Lilley to play Polynesian and Japanese characters.

It's all in the context... A white guy playing Michael Jordan could work equally well with or without makeup, depending on the writing and acting. Outside of the art world though, I'd say it's best to avoid it. You don't want to dress up like Omar makeup and all, and get the shit stomped out of you.

• Like 2

I don't know whether anything is racist or not but Jon DEFINITELY went crazier as the week went along.

Ted Dansen was both way ahead of the curve and way behind. Once again, Dansen is an enigma beyond all human understanding.

I am enjoying this podcast. Regarding blackface, well, origins are pretty racist, but isn't "talking black" kind of the same thing except with a way of speaking or accent?

it's always sunny in philadelphia had a pretty hilarious episode/take on this.

isn't "talking black" kind of the same thing except with a way of speaking or accent?

No!

Technicly Shaq played Superman in the movie Steel, but they played down the fact that he was a replacement Superman including removing the Superman logo from his chest.

Sign in to follow this