🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
admin

Episode 47 — Super Mario Bros: LIVE

With regards to the electric cars, I'm not a scientist but I believe the cars are electric because dinosaurs never died out and therefore never turned into oil.

Someone else in the thread already beat you to it. It DOES make sense though.

Someone else in the thread already beat you to it. It DOES make sense though.

Gah! I read the thread but somehow missed that post. To hide my embarrassment I will now dump on this theory -- in this reality there are actually more dinosaurs so it would follow that there are more fossil fuels. In addition, it seemed to be a heavily plastics-based society, which would be odd if petrochemicals were difficult to come by. True, plastics can be made from vegetable oils, which might explain the shortage of vegetables, but then they would likely have bio-fuels as well. Unless solar energy is simply more economical given the amount of desert that exists. Or something.

Sorry but I am a scientist and if you want to go a little deeper than you already have your theory will be proven wrong. If they do in fact use electricity instead of fossil fuels they still have to use something to create the electricitiy which is produced with coal, a fossil fuel. I think they just tried to make it look "different" from the cities we are use to

Well it'd be crazy if the two worlds evolved to look exactly the same! It only makes sense for the world to be very similar but with a few with slight differences.

I genuinely love this movie. There's A LOT wrong with it but I think it's a perfect bad movie because that hour and forty-five minute never felt long to me. How did this cost 46 million in 1993 though? that's insane.

• Like 1

There's one glarring omission from Episode 47- Super Mario Bros. Everyone failed to mention that in the video game Mario is the one that's trying to save the princess. Yet in the movie, Luigi is the one that, not only dates the princess, but saves her. I'm also coninced that Mario's girlfriend is running a whore house out of her tanning salon and the Brroklyn girls are the prostitutes.

• Like 2

So glad to watch this again and hear the commentary...I was never into the game but was very into stuff like magic mushrooms, Terence McKenna and Whitley Streiber when I saw this for the first time so I thought the movie was trying to channel those ideas. I don't think David Icke was popular yet but there was already a lot about reptillian aliens and, of course, hollow earth "theories".

You know, looking back on this movie, it perfectly fits into the Super Mario Bros world and I can tell you how. There has been a fan theory going around for a while that states that all of the characters in the Mario World are not themselves, but rather actors playing a part. It's why in some of the earlier games come off as theatrical productions, Mario 2 was blatantly a play on a stage while Mario 3's stages were made to look like sets built by a movie crew. Then in later games there is a character that flies around the stages on a cloud filming the characters and what they are doing, which can be seen in Mario Kart and Mario 64.

Then there's the fact that they can change allegiance to one another at will without reason and that they can be cherry picked to be put into any kind of situation (fighting, adventures, various sports). So it would make sense that the dystopian world of the movie is just another role that these characters were involved in, but that it just didn't work out enough for another film to be made for that storyline.

Here is a bit more in-depth look at this theory:

http://www.cracked.com/article_20614_6-insane-video-game-fan-theories-that-make-total-sense.html

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/51734/features/mind-blowing-mario-zelda-and-pokemon-fan-theories/?page=3

I'm actually showing this movie at my job for my city's public library along with another game based film, as part of a double feature to coincide with another library event. I tried to think of game movies that could best purvey game adaptation movies but there really isn't anything that shows the awesomely badness like this movie. Just trying to figure out what to pair with it.

I'm actually showing this movie at my job for my city's public library along with another game based film, as part of a double feature to coincide with another library event. I tried to think of game movies that could best purvey game adaptation movies but there really isn't anything that shows the awesomely badness like this movie. Just trying to figure out what to pair with it.

Maybe this will give you some ideas

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/VideoGameMovies

Oh yeah I've been looking through the various lists. I was actually considering pairing it with a board game adaptation, in this case Clue, but I didn't have the license for that movie. So right now I'm thinking of pairing it with either Wreck-It Ralph or Scott Pilgrim vs. the World which are pretty good movies based around video games. Though if all else fails I can pair it with The Wizard. Then maybe for the next game day event at my job I can hold another double feature with Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat.

Having now watched this movie again for said Library event, I think I can explain the whole Mario Bros relationship. When Luigi says Mario raised him, it comes off as their parents died when Luigi was still an infant so Mario took it upon himself to raise his brother, making him a parent by proxy

• Like 1