🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 4 — Appealing to Consumers

Figure out if you’re selling a product that will appeal to early adopters, people who need it, or the masses on today’s episode of Seth Godin’s Startup School. This week Seth explains how Google makes millions through clickable ads, discusses the difference between making something cool versus making something that works, and talks about how a Thai place in Queens became one of the best run restaurants in New York.

I like this series. It can be a little tough to digest for me because I listen to earwolf while at work, but I find the info being given to be very useful to me even if I never end up trying to start my own business. I think learning how business functions in our world is an important skill for anyone, and the things Seth talks about help me understand the current company I work for even more which may help me down the line.

I wish I could be one of the people asking questions, but I'm happy to get this content regardless.

p.s. The length of the episodes is good. Don't make them any longer because there is too much to process as is.

I like this series. It can be a little tough to digest for me because I listen to earwolf while at work, but I find the info being given to be very useful to me even if I never end up trying to start my own business. I think learning how business functions in our world is an important skill for anyone, and the things Seth talks about help me understand the current company I work for even more which may help me down the line.

I wish I could be one of the people asking questions, but I'm happy to get this content regardless.

p.s. The length of the episodes is good. Don't make them any longer because there is too much to process as is.

Thanks for the feedback Jeff! I'll keep the eps the same length, I agree, that works.

I enjoy this series.

I really enjoy hearing Seth Godin masterfully create his parables of business wisdom.

He is so engaging.

I would prefer a more chilled atmosphere. I think Godin's lessons presented like the Stuff You Should Know podcast (ie. interesting and informative stories and facts around a central question or theme) would be better than the particular energy of a seminar (that we, the listeners are not at). That would allow Godin to talk to us, the listeners, more directly which creates a nice podcaster-listener rapport, like the one created between Howard and Kulap and the chartists. Basing the theme of the week on listeners' questions would also increase that rapport.

• Like 1

then you should get the audio version of purple cow, or free prize inside, were you hear Seth talking directly to you in a one on one first voice. great books.

at first i thought this session wasn't so great. but reviewing my notes, this has some good nuggets of information. this is the second time this week (since Saturday actually, where i have heard someone say "making any choice is better than avoiding a choice because you are afraid it won't be the right choice.

this episode was about exclusivity, and control. both with examples on google adwords - tweaking the concept for maximum profit and controlling how it works; and Sripraphai - appealing to a subset of a large market, and taking advantage of the ratings system to gain leadership by creating their own market.

earwolf must not be allowed to playback the entire episode, you can tell these are highlights or specific clips, not the entire seminar, but it is good enough to get you thinking. if you need more information you now have the appetite and you can go search for the answers to the questions you have.

Seth's most recent blog post talked about the concept of an elevator speech. it should not be the whole story of your business, it should make the listener want to book time with you to hear the rest of the story, so you can get them to become a customer.

then you should get the audio version of purple cow, or free prize inside, were you hear Seth talking directly to you in a one on one first voice. great books.

Thanks for the recommendation, Silly.

Do you prefer the seminar format?

Or would you prefer the podcast to be like those audio books?

hi Basil, Sorry i was not notified of your post on the forum here, so i am late in responding. i just found this as I was scanning through the forums this morning, looking to see what others reactions were to this series.

i prefer the one-to-one audiobook or podcast format, rather than the seminar style. in the seminar style we are obviously missing some things, and by not being there, or having a visual video of what is going on, it's sometimes hard to understand the tangents that he is jumping off to. plus the seminar length, i think i would get bored and my attention would drift off, an ADD thing. i think a podcast or audiobook is a bit more focused because the information is prepared and structured in a way that makes it follow a linear storyline - easier to follow

Sign in to follow this