🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 16 — Yikes Ahoy!

Yo, what up race cars! Special guest Paul F. Tompkins stops by to help Andrew Ti solve racism. Along their journey they answer questions regarding how to address people of color, society’s view on slavery today, Native American sports mascots, using the word gypped, and revisit the topic of of white people doing Hip-Hop covers. Also, Paul tells us how Christmas got him into Andrew’s blog, Andrew gives a new proposal to all white people considering to continue covering Hip-Hop with their ukeleles, Paul makes an appeal to all racists, and both Paul & Andrew pitch a sequel to Looper. Be sure to call us and ask a question about whether or not something is racist at 323-389 RACE unless it’s about white rappers. Peace.

Totally fantastic, hilarious episode with great riffing and discussion. Everything I knew this podcast could be. Digging the longform eps!

GREAT ep , I think the long form format is the way to do this.

• Like 1

PFT is such a perfect guest for this. I had no idea what the story behind 'gypped' was, thanks for letting us know. As for the Native American sports team problem, it is bizarre that we have an NFL team with the word 'skins' in it. I went to a college that was at least the Apaches, in reference to a tribe near the college itself. Wait...I think I'm racist for thinking that was okay. $hit.

Just by the by, I have a friend who is full blooded (skipping word here you'll see why) and I asked him what exactly he would like to be referred to as. Here is EXACTLY how that conversation went.

"Frank."

"No...I mean yeah I get that. Sorry, I just I meant...I'm white..."

"I've noticed."

"Right, no, I'm white and..."

"I'm very happy for you."

"Stop it! What is your race."

"..."

"I mean, I'm not like taking a census, I just want to know what to refer to you as."

"You mean other than Frank? Why do you need to refer to me as anything, other than Frank?"

"Well you know...in conversation...in case..."

"You want to say you have an Indian friend, don't you?"

"...yes."

"Thank you. Yeah well, if you don't know the tribe name and don't want to ask because you're too lazy or are worried you won't say it right, which you won't, just don't call us Indians or Native Americans. It wasn't America until you got here. If you don't know the tribe, refer to us as Indigenous People."

"Okay, great."

"You're going to keep saying I'm your Indian friend, aren't you?"

"Probably going to say Native American because that sounds less racist."

"I hate you."

• Like 2

I was wondering why I wasn't getting daily downloads of YITR?, and now I know! The recording obviously is done in a single day with the guest, and then cut up into sections to be delivered as short episodes from M-F, but I loved how Paul's and Andrew's conversation was so seamless that I could completely understand why this was just released as a long episode, and I am very grateful for it. I love the tiny episodes, I prefer that format for this show, but in the case of PFT it was a good call to release it like this, especially because of Paul's very vocal appreciation for the tumblr over the past year.

This made my morning more than I could possibly, impotently express here.

I just want to chime in that once a week is better, and PFT is awesome as always.

P.S. Podcast is also awesome.

It is logically impossible for all gypsies to be thieves. If that were true, Cher's "Gypsies, Tramps, and Thieves" would simply have been titled "Gypsies and Tramps," which would have been a stupid, stupid title for a song. If we postulate that it is impossible for Cher's music to be stupid, the whole idea falls flat and the phrase "gypsies are all thieves" is offensive not only on racial grounds but also on the basis of pure logic.

Also, did you know that the phrase "tongue in cheek" comes from the propensity of Cher impersonators to say things in a jokey or sarcastic tone? This is not actually true, but the alternate universe in which it is true is probably a little more interesting than this one.

Do I need to point out that Canada is American? North America and South America are ALL American?

Bye Bye

Hmmm...Yeah, it's not "Nigerian-American" or "Ghanaian-American", is it? So if the first part just refers to a continent, I suppose the second part should as well. I do think some Canadians are a little sensitive about being mis-identified as Americans or by Americans just treating Canada as an extension of the US (Yo, is this racist?), so I can see why they'd resist that formulation.

Anyway, came in to chime in with what everyone else has apparently already said. I actually really liked the daily format, both as a change of pace and as a nice quick show that I could listen to during lunch or something, but there were enough through-lines here to show why the longer format is superior. And of course, PFT is the best.

I thought I preferred the daily installments but I stand corrected.

ALSO GUYS, The Cleveland Indians!!! They're not even trying.

• Like 1

everything discussed in this episode is right on. i wonder if there's a way to get it across without being so intolerably fucking smug and self-satisfied

• Like 1

Dude, what about blood quantity for native Americans? Why do they need a pedigree? Why don't whites have to have a race card? Native Americans have tribal id's.

Dude, what about blood quantity for native Americans? Why do they need a pedigree? Why don't whites have to have a race card? Native Americans have tribal id's.

Because white people aren't in danger of dwindling down to nothing? A lot of the native American tribes are so few in numbers that identity is extremely important to them. Also there is the fact that many of them have been granted quasi-independent status within the US, so it seems logical that you would have an ID card if you were from there, just like any country has its own ID card(s).

The one thing that gets me, is Markos' post about wanting to be called "indigenous." This is the first time I've ever heard of someone claiming that the term is somehow preferable to "Native American." Now given, I am white, but in things I have read and people I have talked to, it usually seems split about 50/50 between wanting to be called "Native American" and wanting to be called "American Indian."

The point about how you should call them by their tribal name, however, is totally spot on. I have made it a point to do that, and in general you should avoid using the general terms when you are referring to an individual person whenever possible.

Thanks for the enlightenment. Ok I have another one for everybody. What about all the supreme court bs with the Elouise Cobell settlement ?

Yo Mister Ti and the earwolf, thanks for the shows existence and having the balls to speak for the peeps on racism. Don't care what format it's in, just get it out there!

hey just thought i would mentioned they still do release daly episodes on the blog following up to the full Thursday show called the daily dose

everything discussed in this episode is right on. i wonder if there's a way to get it across without being so intolerably fucking smug and self-satisfied

What he said. This was the most boring I've ever heard Paul F. Tompkins be. What's the point of a podcast about a sensitive area if your stances are all so safe and predictable?

I'm not here for predictability, I want to hear it from the average joe. Pretty much everybody that has a question here knows what is expected for answers. We want opinions from our equals. Not the bullshitters in charge.

Sign in to follow this